Eggless tutti frutti cake recipe – Wishing all the readers a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. This soft, moist and delicious eggless tutti frutti cake is one of the easiest I have baked in the recent times. Tutti frutti cake is quite popular in the Indian bakeries. It is a favorite among kids and is loved for its colorful appearance & sweet flavor.
This tutti frutti cake is very light, moist & is a fail proof recipe that has been tried by me many times. This can be baked even by a beginner or a kid.
This recipe uses milk and an acidic ingredient – lemon juice or vinegar which reacts with the soda and lends a very light & airy texture.
Tutti frutti cake can be made using any basic cake recipe with some tutti fruttis added to the batter. The tuti fruiti mix I have used also had the citrus peels so I have not added any extra flavorings.
If yours does not have the citrus peels, you will have to add 1 tsp of lemon zest or orange zest. You can also add some fruit essence or spice powders like cardamom, nutmeg or cinnamon to get your favorite flavors.
Tutti fruttis are colored bits of raw papaya. They are not my thing to use regularly. So I usually make this cake with the same amount of nuts & raisins added to it.
For a healthier version you can check this Eggless Fruit cake made with atta, nuts and mixed dried fruits.
I have baked this cake in Oven. If you do not oven a oven, then you can also bake it in a cooker following this Cooker cake recipe post.
Preparation for tutti frutti cake
1. Grease a loaf pan or cake pan. I have used a 8.5 by 4.5 inch loaf pan. You can also use a 7 or 8 inch cake pan. Line a parchment paper. If not using parchment paper then dust some flour all over the pan and shake off the excess by inverting it. Preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins.
2. Measure tutti fruttis to a bowl. Sprinkle 1 tbsp flour and coat them well.
3. Mine also had the citrus peels so I did not add lemon or orange zest. If yours does not have then add in the lemon zest or orange zest to the fruit mix. Keep mixing well until all the flour is absorbed.
4. Add lemon juice or vinegar to the milk. I used room temperature milk.
5. Mix well. You will see the milk begins to curdle. Set this aside.
6. Place a sieve over a large mixing bowl. Measure the flour and add it to the sieve.
7. Measure baking powder.Add it to the sieve.
8. Add baking soda.
9. Next add in the salt.
10. Sieve all of them. Sieve the flour twice. This makes the cake light.
Making batter for tutti frutti cake
11. Make a well in the center. Set this aside.
12. To the milk bowl, add sugar and vanilla extract (optional).
13. Pour melted butter or oil.
14. Stir well until sugar has dissolved.
15. Pour this to the flour.
16. Mix gently just until you see no streaks of flour. Do not over mix.
17. The batter is of ribbon consistency.
18. Add the tutti frutti.
19. Mix gently only a couple of times.
20. Pour the batter to the greased tray. Sprinkle some tutti fruttis if you prefer. Brush some milk on top. Knock the pan to the kitchen counter a few times.
Baking eggless tutti frutti cake
21. Bake at 170 C.
40 to 45 mins if using a 8 by 4 to 9 by 5 inch pan.
30 to 32 mins if using a 7 inch or 8 inch cake pan. Please adjust the baking time to suit your oven and pan size.
When the cake is done, a skewer inserted comes out clean.
22. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 to 15 mins. Then invert it on a wire rack.
23. Lastly cool completely then remove the parchment paper.
24. Slice eggless tutti frutti cake with a segregated knife.
Eggless tutti frutti cake | How to make tutti frutti cake without eggs
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour or maida (190 grams)
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour or maida (10 grams)
- ½ cup tutti fruiti (including citrus peels)
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch Salt
- ¾ cup sugar (+ 2 tbsp optional)
- ½ cup oil or melted butter
- 270 ml milk or 1 cup + 2 tbsp (do not use cold milk)
- 1 ¼ tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- ¾ to 1 tbsp. vanilla extract or lemon zest or orange zest or essence
- Grease a 8 by 4 inch loaf pan or a 7 to 8 inch cake tray.
- Dust with flour evenly or line a parchment paper. Set this aside.
- Preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins.
- Add tutti frutti to a bowl and sprinkle 1 tbsp flour.
- Coat them well with flour. Set this aside.
- Measure milk to a bowl. I warmed up the milk and used.
- Add lemon juice or vinegar to the milk. Stir well and set aside.
- Place a sieve over a mixing bowl.
- Measure flour and add it to the sieve.
- Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to the sieve.
- Sieve it to the bowl. Sieve the flour again.
- Make a well in the center & Keep this aside.
Making batter for tutti frutti cake
- To the milk bowl, add sugar and vanilla extract.
- Pour melted butter or oil. Mix everything well until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour this to the flour.
- Gently mix until the flour is just combined well. Do not over mix the batter.
- The batter will be of ribbon consistency at this stage.
- Add in the tutti frutti. Gently stir in only a couple of times.
- Do not over do this as the tutti fruttis will settle down.
- Pour this to the pan. Knock it a few times to the counter.
- If desired you can sprinkle some more tutti fruttis on top.
- Brush with milk on top to get a golden top.
How to bake eggless tutti frutti cake
- Bake for 40 to 45 mins if using a 8 by 4 inch loaf pan.
- A cake tester or skewer inserted comes out clean when it is baked completely.
- Cool it for 15 mins and then invert it on a wire rack.
- Cool completely before slicing. Eggless tutti frutti cake is ready to serve.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes