Fish Rice Recipe
Fish Rice Recipe – A simple rice & fish recipe for beginners using basic ingredients. This fish rice is one of our most loved ways to whip up a seafood meal. It can be made just under 30 mins. This fish rice is the simplest to make for a weeknight dinner and is great to make when you run out of ideas.
This fish rice tastes delicious and can be served with a vegetable salad or just onion, cucumber and carrot slices.
I made this with half a kg of fish pieces and 2 cups of rice. I have halved the recipe here. You may also like this collection of fish recipes.
To begin with the recipe, I just precooked the rice in a pressure cooker and cooled it down. This is similar to any fried rice but with a desi Indian touch using Indian spices and herbs.
The dish turns out to be super flavorful and delicious due to the combination of ingredients used like ghee, curry leaves etc.
If you do not have ghee then just replace with any oil or even butter.
How to Make Fish Rice (Stepwise photos)
1. Wash, soak and cook rice in whatever way you like. You can use any kind of rice. I have used basmathi since it adds a little more flavor to the dish. Make sure the rice is cooked to al dente (not mushy) and is cooled down.
2. While the rice cooks, go ahead making the fish. Wash fish and drain completely. Add red chilli powder, turmeric, salt, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and garam masala. Set aside for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile slice onion, green chili and set aside.
Pan Fry Fish
3. Add ghee to a hot pan as needed. Ghee lends a very good flavor. Add garlic and saute until nice aroma comes out. Add fish, curry leaves and begin to fry on a medium flame. Flip the fish after 3 to 4 mins and add more red chili powder if needed.
4. When the fish is cooked completely. Set this aside to a plate.
5. To the same pan, add sliced onions, slit green chili and begin to saute. If needed add more oil or ghee. Do not skip green chili other wise the rice will taste bland.
6. When the onions turns golden, add curry leaves, cashews and raisins. These are optional but I suggest adding at least few chopped cashews else the rice will be plain.
7. Saute everything well until the nuts turn golden.
Make Fish Rice
8. Add cooled rice, pepper and salt. Switch off the stove.
9. Mix everything well.
Serve hot rice with roasted fish & onion cucumber carrot slices.
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 250 grams fish pieces
- ¾ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- turmeric powder , little
- salt as needed
- lemon juice as needed
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 1 to 2 tbsp ghee (or oil)
- 2 to 3 green chilies slit
- 1 cup rice (basmathi or jasmine preferred)
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- cashews as desired
- raisins as desired
- 1/8 tsp pepper powder
- salt as needed
How To Make Fish Rice
- Wash, soak and cook rice al dente. It can be cooked in a pot or cooker. Once done cool it completely.
- Marinate fish and set aside for 10 mins.
- Fry garlic in hot ghee and then add curry leaves and fish. Fry for 3 mins and then flip . Add more spice powders if you like. Fry until it is done on both the sides. Transfer this to a plate.
- Add more ghee or oil to the pan.
- Fry onions, green chili until onions turn golden.
- Then add curry leaves, nuts and raisins. Saute everything well until the nuts are roasted well.
- Add cooled rice, salt and pepper. Switch off and mix well.
- Serve rice and fish with fresh salad or sliced onions and carrots.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Which fish do you suggest using for this?
Use any kind available to you. I use something like Salmon, katla or tilapia
Love how detailed you are! Which fish do you suggest using for this ?
I tried fish rice recipe.It turned out awesome.Thanks for this simple yet delicious recipe.
Glad to know Vishakha
Fantastic blog post. Keep Sharing.
I am a regular visitor of your blog. I have tried few of the recipes from your blog and all of them turned out very tasty. Thanks a lot.
You are welcome. Glad you like the recipes. Thanks for following the blog.
I just made this and it was awesome! Thank you so much!
Happy to know it came out good
I have tried three of ur recepies over the week – Andhra Style mutton biryani, egg biryani n Fish Ghee rice. They turned out awesome…thank u so much. Well written and the pics on how to make makes it very motivating and inspiring.
So glad to know you tried so many recipes. Thanks for trying
woooooooow! Its look too yummy !
Thank you for sharing all this receipe, your site is really looking good and informative.I really really liked it. I will make it at my home and also going to share with my friends and family.
Glad to know you liked the blog. Yes do try the recipes.
Thanks a lot