Fish rice recipe – A simple rice & fish recipe for beginners using basic ingredients. This fish rice is one of our most loved ways to whip up a seafood meal. It can be made just under 30 mins. This fish rice is the simplest to make for a weeknight dinner and is great to make when you run out of ideas.
This fish rice tastes delicious and can be served with a vegetable salad or just onion, cucumber and carrot slices.
I had made this with half a kg of fish pieces and 2 cups of rice. I have halved the recipe here. You may also like this collection of fish recipes.
To begin with the recipe, I just precooked the rice in a pressure cooker and cooled it down. This is similar to any fried rice but with a desi Indian touch using Indian spices and herbs.
The dish turns out to be super flavorful and delicious due to the combination of ingredients used like ghee, curry leaves etc.
If you do not have ghee then just replace with any oil or even butter.
How to make fish rice
1. Wash, soak and cook rice in whatever way you like. You can use any kind of rice. I have used basmathi since it adds a little more flavor to the dish. Make sure the rice is cooked to al dente (not mushy) and is cooled down.
2. While the rice cooks, go ahead making the fish. Wash fish and drain completely. Add red chilli powder, turmeric, salt, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and garam masala. Set aside for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile slice onion, green chili and set aside.
3. Add ghee to a hot pan as needed. Ghee lends a very good flavor. Add garlic and saute until nice aroma comes out. Add fish, curry leaves and begin to fry on a medium flame. Flip the fish after 3 to 4 mins and add more red chili powder if needed.
4. When the fish is cooked completely. Set this aside to a plate.
5. To the same pan, add sliced onions, slit green chili and begin to saute. If needed add more oil or ghee. Do not skip green chili other wise the rice will taste bland.
6. When the onions turns golden, add curry leaves, cashews and raisins. These are optional but I suggest adding at least few chopped cashews else the rice will be plain.
7. Saute everything well until the nuts turn golden.
8. Add cooled rice, pepper and salt. Switch off the stove.
9. Mix everything well.
Serve hot rice with roasted fish & onion cucumber carrot slices.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 1 to 2 tbsp ghee (or oil)
- 2 to 3 green chilies slit
- 1 cup rice (basmathi or jasmine preferred)
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- cashews as desired
- raisins as desired
- 1/8 tsp pepper powder
- salt as needed
- Wash, soak and cook rice al dente. It can be cooked in a pot or cooker. Once done cool it completely.
- Marinate fish and set aside for 10 mins.
- Fry garlic in hot ghee and then add curry leaves and fish. Fry for 3 mins and then flip . Add more spice powders if you like. Fry until it is done on both the sides. Transfer this to a plate.
- Add more ghee or oil to the pan.
- Fry onions, green chili until onions turn golden.
- Then add curry leaves, nuts and raisins. Saute everything well until the nuts are roasted well.
- Add cooled rice, salt and pepper. Switch off and mix well.
- Serve rice and fish with fresh salad or sliced onions and carrots.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes