Hariyali chicken recipe – a delicious green chicken curry made in Indian style. Chicken is cooked in spices and freshly ground green masala.Very flavorful and delicious gravy that pairs well with rice or any chicken biryani and a easy raita.
Most Asian countries have their own version of this green chicken curry, while Indian recipe calls for more hot and spicy ingredients. Many years. Back, I got a bunch of these Hariyali Murgh recipes from a Muslim friend’s mom who originates from hyderabad.
I do not know if it is a Andhra chicken recipe, but I had enjoyed this in their home for more than a decade during the festive occasions. What is special about this curry, is the simplicity when compared to the other chicken recipes.
Hariyali chicken gravy has a great aroma of spices, coriander and mint. It is just finger licking good and is gentle to the stomach.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Spices (to powder)
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 black cardamom , small
- 3 green cardamom
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 strand mace
- ½ nutmeg , small
- ½ tsp cumin or shahi jeera
- 5 pepper corn
To Grind for making hariyali chicken
- 1 cup coriander leaves , packed
- ½ cup mint leaves , packed
- 1/3 cup onions , chopped
- 3 green chilies , hot
- ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
How to make the recipe
- Powder all the spices mentioned (to powder). Make a fine powder.
- Add the ingredients under To Grind and grind to a smooth paste
- Heat a pan with oil, add shahi jeera and curry leaves, sauté
- Add chicken and the ground spice powder. Fry till it turns white in color.
- Cover and cook for 2 to 3 mins to release the moisture.
- Add green masala paste, fry for 2 mins to get a nice aroma.
- Cover and cook for another 2 mins, this way the aroma of green masala and spice is absorbed by the chicken. Add capsicum if using. Fry for another two minutes.
- Add coconut milk or cashew milk, lemon juice & water if needed and salt. Cover and cook till the chicken is fully done and the desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve hariyali chicken with Rice, roti or pulav.