Garam masala recipe. Garam means hot and masala is a mixture. Garam masala is a popular and regularly used spice powder made from a mixture of hot spices. There are so many variations of making garam masala recipe. From a simple and basic one to a hot spicy pungent strong masala, each varying to suit ones taste buds.
Garam masala recipe shared here is a simple basic one that is flavorful, not pungent and is suitable for most veg curry recipes and preparation of snacks recipes. You can also use this for non-veg recipes if you like mild flavors of garam masala. For added flavors use with additional dry spices in seasoning. Using too many kinds of spices for everyday cooking, can dehydrate the body and lead to acidity problems. Hence this recipe is kept simple, meaning it is best suited for regular use and can be used for kids and toddler foods as well.
If you are looking for a more aromatic and spicier powder to make dishes like butter chicken, chicken curry, tandoori chicken, chicken tikka then try the Punjabi garam masala powder that I have posted earlier.
To make aromatic dum biryani like veg dum biryani or chicken dum biryani, check out the homemade biryani masala powder.
To make this simple garam masala recipe, we need very few kinds of spices which I have shown in the photos for easy identification. I have also mentioned few optional spices, you can try to include if you feel comfortable with that particular spice.
To make garam masala, spices used are below with photos
Coriander seeds, called as sabut daniya in hindi, daniyalu in telugu.
Green cardamoms called as elaichi in hindi, elakkulu in telugu.
Cumin or shahi jeera. The spice in the picture is shahi jeera, you can use regular cumin or shahi jeera. Shahi jeera is more flavorful and is often used for non veg dishes. cumin is called as jeera in hindi, jeelakara in telugu.
Cloves are called as lavang or launga in hindi and lavanga in telugu.
Cinammon , called as dalchini in hindi, dasina cheka in telugu.
Black pepper corn called as miriyalu in telugu.
Fennel seeds called as Saunf in telugu.
Find simple homemade garam masala recipe below
Homemade garam masala recipe | How to make garam masala recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
240 ml cup used
- 1 cup coriander / sabut daniya
- 1 tbsp cloves / lavang
- 4 inch cinnamon stick / dalchini
- 8 green cardamoms / elaichi
- 1 tbsp cumin / jeera
- 1 tbsp pepper / kali mirch
- 1 ½ tsp Saunf or fennel seeds
- 1 Bay leaf / tej patta
How to make the recipe
- Clean the spices, pick and discard stones and debris. Crush the coriander seeds and check for worms.
- In a heavy bottom pan, dry roast coriander seeds lightly, add the other ingredients to the pan.
- Switch off and toss till the cumin warms up. Set aside to cool
- Powder them in a dry jar and sieve if needed.
- Store in an air tight glass jar and use.
- Keeps good for a month without refrigeration, keeps good for several months in refrigerator. Make small packs of this powder in foil and store it, this way when ever needed you can use a pack, the rest remains flavorful.