Aloo gobi – Here is the recipe to make the best aloo gobi that’s simply delicious, flavor packed & healthy. Aloo translates to potato and Gobi to cauliflower. This spiced potato & cauliflower stir fry is one of the popular Indian dishes & is prepared in most Indian homes. Aloo gobi goes well with plain rice, roti, paratha or any flavored rice like Jeera rice or ghee rice.
I make aloo gobi in a few different ways. It can be made to a semi dry curry or to a gravy. I often make the semi dry version for the lunch boxes to school & office as it is easy to prepare.
Another version is the restaurant style aloo gobi masala that I do prepare on the weekends or occasions. You can find both the recipes on this post.
Aloo gobi that’s served in restaurants is made by first deep frying potatoes & cauliflower to golden & crisp. Then just tossed in the prepared masala. For the home cooking, to make it healthy I prepare it as shown here.
Though making aloo gobi is simple & easy, the cooking process is a bit different. A perfectly made home style aloo gobi has soft cooked potatoes & slightly crunchy cauliflower that are not soggy.
Potato & cauliflower have 2 different cook times. So cooking a dish with these 2 veggies can be a bit tricky. Here are my tips to make it right.
Tips to make best aloo gobi
1.Always saute & cook potatoes until half done before adding the cauliflower. Potatoes take longer to cook than cauliflower so avoid adding them together to the pan.
2.Do not add salt till the potatoes are almost done. Adding salt will prevent them from cooking well since there is no water used.
3.The latter part of cooking aloo gobi has to be done on a low flame which helps the veggies to release some moisture and cook well without burning.
4.If using tomatoes do not add them until the potatoes are soft cooked. The acid in the tomatoes will prevent the aloo from cooking well.
Variations of aloo gobi
1.Aloo gobi can be made without onion, tomatoes, garlic & even green chili. I do make this baby version for my young boys as they are fussy to eat it with all of those ingredients.
2.My recipe shared below has all of the above ingredients and makes the best aloo gobi. However leaving out onion or tomatoes is just okay and the dish still turns out good. Leaving out both makes the dish very dry.
You can find the recipe 2 – for aloo gobi masala at the second half of the post.
Video of aloo gobi recipe
Aloo gobi – Recipe 1
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup potato (or 2 medium)
- 2 cups cauliflower or gobi (180 grams)
- 1 medium onion chopped finely (optional)
- 1 medium tomato or 1 tbsp tomato paste or lemon juice
- 2 tbsps oil
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic minced or paste
- 1 green chili slit or chopped (optional)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¾ tsp coriander powder
- ¾ to 1 tsp red chili powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp kasuri methi or fenugreek leaves (skip if you don’t have)
- handful Coriander leaves chopped
Preparation for aloo gobi
- Cut cauliflower florets to 1½ inch in size. Add them to slightly hot water and set aside 3 to 4 mins. Drain the water and rinse them.
- Cube potatoes to ¾ by ¾ inch. You can also slice them to ¾ inch. Add them to water until used. Mince ginger and garlic.
How to make aloo gobi
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin. When they sizzle, add ginger garlic & saute for 30 seconds. Then add the onions & stir fry until transparent.
- Add the potatoes and chilli. Stir fry for 2 to 3 mins. Cover and cook on a low to medium heat until they are half done. Keep stirring in between and cook covered. They are slightly tender at this stage but still under cooked.
- Then add the cauliflower & stir fry for about 3 mins. Add all the spice powders and mix well. Cook covered until both of them are almost tender.
- Add salt and continue to cook covered on a low flame until the potatoes are soft & fully cooked. The veggies will release moisture and cook quickly. So keep an eye not to over cook gobi at this stage. It must remain slightly crunchy.
- Next add the tomatoes and kasuri methi. Fry on a medium to high flame until the tomatoes are cooked & blend well with aloo gobi. It takes about 2 mins for the raw smell of tomatoes to go away.
- Finally garnish aloo gobi with coriander leaves. Serve with rice or roti.
Aloo gobi – step by step
For the preparation steps please follow the recipe card.
1.Pour oil to a heavy bottom pan and heat it. Add cumin seeds. When they crackle add ginger garlic and saute just for 30 seconds.
2.Then add onions & green chilies. Fry them until transparent.
3. Drain the potatoes from water and add them. Fry for 2 to 3 mins.
4. Next cover and cook until they are half done.
5. Add in cauliflower and stir fry for 3 mins. Then add in chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric and garam masala.
6. Cook covered until both potatoes and cauliflower are almost tender. Then sprinkle salt and mix. Cover and cook again until potatoes are soft cooked. The cauliflower should remain slightly crunchy.
7.Add tomatoes (optional) and sprinkle kasuri methi.Stir fry on a medium high heat until the tomato blends well with the aloo gobi masala. This just takes 2 mins. At this stage check the salt and spice. Add more if needed.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti. You can sprinkle lemon juice if you have skipped tomato.
Recipe 2 – Aloo gobi masala – Restaurant style
In restaurants, aloo gobi is made by frying the potatoes and cauliflower first and then added to the gravy or masala. For a home version to keep it simple and healthy, i have steamed the aloo and gobi. But the taste of the deep fried aloo gobi is very good and lends a unique texture to both the veggies.
¾ cup potato (¾ by ¾ inch cubed )
1 ½ cup cauliflower (150 grams)
2 tbsps oil
½ tsp cumin or jeera
1 cup onion cubed
1 green chili slit
1/8 tsp turmeric
¾ cup tomatoes cubed
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
8 cashews or 2 to 3 tbsps cream
1 ¼ tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander powder
¾ to 1 tsp red chili powder
Salt as needed
1 tsp kasuri methi or fenugreek leaves
Preparation for aloo gobi
1. Make a paste of onions and set aside. Puree tomatoes with cashews until smooth. Set aside.
2.You can steam the potatoes and cauliflower or shallow fry them in oil until crisp & golden. If steaming i steam the potatoes until half done, then add cauliflower. Continue to steam till al dente.
3. Heat oil in a pan and crackle some cumin. You can also use 2 green cardamoms and 1 small bay leaf. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until it smells good.
4. Next add the onion paste. Saute until it turns lightly golden. Add the tomato cashew paste. Saute until the raw smell of tomatoes and onions has completely vanished.
How to make aloo gobi masala
5.Add chilli, garam masala, coriander powder, red chili powder & salt. Saute until the masala begins to leave the sides of the pan.
6. Pour 3/4 cup water. Stir & cook until the gravy thickens a bit.
7. Add aloo gobi. Stir and cook covered until the aloo gobi is cooked. Add crushed kasuri methi & chopped coriander leaves. Cover and set aside.
Serve hot with rice or paratha.