Jhal muri is a popular street food that is very popular in west bengal, orissa and Bangladesh. Though it originated in the region of Bengal it is enjoyed across India. Jhal means spicy and muri is puffed rice. Jhal muri is a spicy puffed rice snack that is loved by everyone. Bhel puri & churumuri are 2 other popular variations of Jhalmuri.
Puffed rice is known by different names in India. Muri, murmura, maramara, pori and kurmura are some of the names. It is a grain that is made by puffing rice. It is mostly used to make snack foods.
It just takes 15 minutes to prepare jhal muri. Puffed rice, roasted peanuts, chanachur, boiled potatoes, chopped tomatoes, onions, coriander and a few other basic ingredients are used to make this. Various spice powders are used to flavor it.
Easy jhal muri recipe
Jhal muri recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2½ cups puffed rice (muri, murmura, pori)
- 1 large potato boiled (about ½ cup)
- 1 small onion (about 1/3 cup chopped finely)
- 1 medium tomato (about 1/3 cup chopped finely)
- ¼ cup cucumber (chopped finely)
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves (chopped finely)
- ¼ tsp salt (or black salt, use as needed)
- ½ tsp red chilli powder (use as needed)
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder (or jeera powder)
- ¾ tsp chaat masala (or muri masala or amchur)
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts skinned
- ¼ cup Chanachur or sev or farsan (refer notes)
- lemon juice as needed
- 1 tbsp mustard oil (or oil from pickle)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for jhal muri
- To make jhal muri, we need crisp puffed rice. If they are not crisp then you can dry roast them in a pan for few minutes. Set them aside.
- Boil potato until just cooked. Cube them and set aside.
- Dry roast peanuts and remove the skin. Set these aside.
- Chop tomatoes, onions, green chilies and coriander leaves
How to make jhal muri
- To a mixing bowl add tomatoes, cucumber, onions, potatoes, coriander leaves and green chilies.
- Add salt,red chili powder, cumin powder and chaat masala.
- Squeeze the lemon. Give them a good stir.
- Add peanuts and puffed rice.
- Toss them all. You can add some more puffed rice if the mixture is moist. Then add chanachur or sev.
- Serve jhal muri immediately.
1. Wash and chop onions, tomatoes, cucumber and green chilies as well. If you have kids at home, skip green chilies.
2. Chop the boiled potato to small cubes. I cubed the potato first. Then boiled in a pan with some water. The potatoes must be cooked but firm. Do not make them mushy.
3. Also add in chili powder, salt, red chilli powder and muri masala. If you do not have muri masala, then add roasted cumin powder and chaat masala.
4. Next squeeze in lemon juice as needed.
How to make jhal muri
5. Add mustard oil. I used mustard oil from pickle. Earlier I had eaten jhal muri made using oil from pickle and just loved it. So I used the same here.
6. Chop coriander leaves and transfer them here. Make sure the coriander leaves are not too moist. Otherwise jhal muri may turn soggy very quickly.
7. Give all these a good mix. Taste it and add spice powders if you prefer more.
8. Add roasted and skinned peanuts.
9. Pour crisp puffed rice as well. Make sure they are crisp otherwise muri will turn chewy. You can roast them for few minutes to crisp them before adding here.
10. Mix up well. You can add in more puffed rice if it turns moist.
11. Finally add in chananchur or sev.
Serve jhal muri immediately.