Lemon pepper fish fry recipe – a healthy and simple fish fry made with freshly ground fennel seeds (saunf) and pepper corn. This is a mildly flavoured and mildly spiced fish recipe that is kids friendly too. It goes as a good side in a meal. I have not used any garam masala to keep the flavours of pepper and saunf dominant. But if you are one to like the taste and flavour of garam masala in fish fry, then you can use it.
you may like this collection of fish recipes.
Lemon pepper fish fry recipe
Lemon pepper fish fry recipe | fish roast | easy fish recipes
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- Salt as needed
How to make the recipe
- Marinate fish with marination ingredients.
- Powder together fennel seeds and pepper corn.
- Heat a wide pan with ghee or oil.
- Add ginger garlic paste, chilies and fry until the raw smell goes off.
- Spread the oil well in the kadai. Place the fish pieces.
- Fry them on both the sides for 2 to 3 mins.
- Sprinkle half of the pepper and saunf powder evenly. Add curry leaves.
- Flip them and sprinkle the rest of the powder. Fry until done. You can adjust salt now, if needed add more. If using garam masala powder you can sprinkle now.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make lemon pepper fish fry
1. Wash fish and drain them completely. Marinate with turmeric, chilli powder, little salt and lemon juice. If you have some time, it can be left aside for 15 to 30 mins.
2. Crush or powder fennel and pepper. We prefer a fine powder, you can use coarsely crushed powder.
3. Heat ghee or oil in a pan. I suggest using a wide pan. I use ghee for this recipe as it enhances the flavour. Saute ginger garlic paste and green chili until the raw smell disappears.
4. Add the fish and fry on a medium heat.
5. Flip them and fry on the other side as well for 2 to 3 mins.
6. Add curry leaves and half of the pepper powder. Continue to fry for 2 more mins. I had to set aside half of the fish since the pan was crowded. I suggest using a wide pan if you are using many fish pieces.
7. Flip them and repeat sprinkling the powder. Fry until the fish is roasted completely.
Serve as a side in a meal with onion wedges.