Reshmi kabab or chicken malai kabab recipe – Kebab or kabab is a piece of meat or other food that is mostly grilled on the charcoal fire. Reshmi kabab has its roots from the Mughalai cuisine. It is not commonly prepared in the house holds due to the absence of charcoal fire. It is mostly found on the Indian restaurant menus and tops the orders among the list of chicken dishes.
The marinade used to make these malai kabab is unique and lends a great taste to the soft and tender chunks of grilled chicken.
It gets the name chicken malai kabab since malai or fresh cream is used. It tastes rich and creamy due to the addition of cream, ground cashews and almonds.
Reshmi kebab recipe
Reshmi kabab (chicken malai kabab)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 250 grams boneless chicken (or breast) (½ lb)
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt or thick curd or hung yogurt
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsps cilantro chopped or coriander leaves
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste or 1 inch ginger 3 to 4 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 almonds (or 1 tbsp cheese)
- 8 cashewnuts (or 1 tbsp cheese)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for chicken malai kabab
- Add chicken to a bowl.
- If using cheese, then mix together all the ingredients. If using nuts instead of cheese, then add almonds, cashews with cream and yogurt to a blender jar. Make a smooth paste.
- Add this to the chicken.
- Mix together and marinate in the refrigerator for about 4 hours to overnight.
How to make reshmi kabab
- Preheat the oven at 240 C for at least 15 mins.
- Put the chicken on the skewers and grill for 15 mins.
- Flip them and grill again for 15 mins. Check after 25 mins of grilling to prevent burning.
- Brush butter over the grilled kebabs.
- Serve chicken malai kababs with mint chutney.
Preparation for malai kabab
1. Ingredients for preparing the marinade. Ginger, garlic, pepper corn or powder, salt, lemon juice, almonds, cashews, thick curd or hung curd/ greek yogurt and fresh cream.
2. We will have to blend the ginger garlic, almonds and cashews along with fresh cream and yogurt. No water is added here.
3. The ground paste has to be thick.
4. We will need boneless chicken cubed.
5. Add all the ingredients.
6. Squeeze the lemon juice.
7. Add 1 tsp oil.
8. Mix up everything well and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to overnight. The longer we allow them to rest, the softer they turn out. If using wooden skewers, soak them for at least one hour.
How to make chicken reshmi kabab recipe
9. Preheat the oven to 240 C for at least 15 mins. Put them on to the skewers. Grill them for 15 mins. Flip the skewers and grill for another 10 mins. Keep an eye after 25 mins of grilling to prevent burning.
Serve with mint chutney.