Reshmi kabab or chicken malai kabab recipe – Kebab or kabab is a piece of meat or other food that is mostly grilled on the charcoal fire. Reshmi kabab has its roots from the Mughalai cuisine. It is not commonly prepared in the house holds due to the absence of charcoal fire. It is mostly found on the Indian restaurant menus and tops the orders among the list of chicken dishes. These are also known as chicken malai tikka.
The marinade used to make these malai kabab is unique and lends a great taste to the soft and tender chunks of grilled chicken.
In Indian & Mughlai cuisines, there are a lot of dishes to which malai aka fresh cream is added to enhance the richness and texture of the dish. Malai chicken curry and Paneer malai kofta are 2 such dishes which I shared on the blog.
This appetizer gets the name chicken malai kabab again since malai is used. It tastes rich and creamy due to the addition of cream, ground cashews and almonds.
Preparation for malai kabab
1. Ingredients for preparing the marinade. Ginger, garlic, pepper corn or powder, salt, lemon juice, almonds, cashews, thick curd or hung curd/ greek yogurt and fresh cream.
2. We will have to blend the ginger garlic, almonds and cashews along with fresh cream and yogurt. No water is added here.
3. The ground paste has to be thick.
4. We will need boneless chicken cubed.
5. Add all the ingredients.
6. Squeeze the lemon juice.
7. Add 1 tsp oil.
8. Mix up everything well and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to overnight. The longer we allow them to rest, the softer they turn out. If using wooden skewers, soak them for at least one hour.
How to make chicken reshmi kabab
9. Preheat the oven to 240 C for at least 15 mins. Put them on to the skewers. Grill them for 15 mins. Flip the skewers and grill for another 10 mins. Keep an eye after 25 mins of grilling to prevent burning.
Serve with mint chutney.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 250 grams boneless chicken (or breast) (½ lb)
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt or thick curd or hung yogurt
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsps cilantro chopped or coriander leaves
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste or 1 inch ginger 3 to 4 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 almonds (or 1 tbsp cheese)
- 8 cashewnuts (or 1 tbsp cheese)
Preparation for chicken malai kabab
- Add chicken to a bowl and pat dry any excess moisture otherwise the chicken malai tikkas will let out lots of moisture.
- If using cheese, then mix together all the ingredients. If using nuts instead of cheese, then add almonds, cashews with cream and yogurt to a blender jar. Make a smooth paste.
- Add this to the chicken.
- Mix together and marinate in the refrigerator for about 4 hours to overnight. Overnight gives best results.
How to make reshmi kabab
- Preheat the oven to the highest. At 240 C or 470 F for at least 15 mins.
- Put the chicken on the skewers and grill for 15 mins.
- Flip them and grill again for 15 mins. Check after 25 mins of grilling to prevent burning.
- The last 2 minutes grill them on a broil mode for charring. Remove the grilled chicken malai tikkas from the oven and brush butter over them.
- Serve chicken malai kababs with mint chutney.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes