Shami kabab recipe with video – Chicken shami kabab are a kind of meat kebabs that are popular in India and neighboring countries. These are made with ground meat or chunks of meat cooked with chana dal or bengal gram, spices, ginger, garlic and herbs. These are slightly on the heavier side and calorie dense hence these are served occasionally.
Shami kabab are usually made with mutton however they can also be made using chicken the way I have made here. These taste very very delicious and very flavorful due to the addition of chana dal and spices.
I have shallow fried these and they do not absorb oil if the mixture is made right. These turn out to be slightly glossy or shiny as these are dipped in egg mixture before frying.
If you are looking for kababs without lentils then you can check this mutton kabab recipe.
You may like to check these 70 Indian chicken recipes
Chicken shami kabab recipe
Shami kabab recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 350 to 400 grams chicken boneless (if using chicken with bone, refer notes)
- 1/3 cup chana dal or 75 grams, 1 cup soaked
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 inch cinnamon stick / dalchini
- 2 to 3 cardamoms / elaichi
- 1 to 2 red chilies
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 3 garlic cloves large , chopped
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Water as needed (I used about half cup)
- Salt as needed
- 1 onion small , finely chopped
- 2 eggs – 1 for the mixture – 1 for coating
- 1 Handful coriander leaves
- 1 Handful mint leaves / pudina leaves
- 1 green chili
- Oil as needed
How to make the recipe
- Wash and soak chana dal for about 2 to 4 hours. Well soaked dal provides a good texture to the kababs. Drain it and add to a large pot.
- Add ginger, garlic, salt, turmeric, red chili powder, whole red chilies, garam masala, cinnamon stick, jeera, green cardamoms and chicken. Add water to partially cover the chicken. Do not add too much water.
- Cook all these partially covering the pot until chicken and dal are soft cooked.
- Evaporate water completely. This step is very important otherwise the kebab mixture will turn mushy and will not hold shape.
- Cool this completely and remove the whole spices and any bones if used chicken on bone.
How to make shami kabab
- Add this to a processor or a blender and make a coarse mixture.
- The mixture should turn fairly dry and powdery.
- Add green chilies, onions, pudina, coriander leaves. Mix and check the salt and spice. If needed add more.
- Break an egg to a bowl and beat it lightly to mix the yolk and the white uniformly.
- Add this little by little to the mixture and form a dough. Do not pour the egg at one time, do it in parts add use only as needed for binding. You can also squeeze this mixture a bit for the moisture to release. Then add the egg only as needed.
- Divide the dough to 8 to 10 equal parts and make balls. Flatten them and make kebabs on your palm. Place them on a plate.
- Heat oil for shallow frying in a wide pan. I fried all the kababs in 2 batches.
- Break an egg to a bowl and beat it lightly just to mix the yolk and white uniformly.
- When the oil turns hot enough, dip one kebab each time in the egg and lift it with a fork.
- Gently shake off the excess egg to avoid the oil turning messy.
- Drop these in the hot oil. Fry on a medium heat until golden, flipping to and fro.
- When they are golden fried, transfer them to a plate with kitchen tissues.
- Serve chicken shami kabab hot with mint chutney.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
1.Wash chana dal a few times and soak it for about 2 to 4 hours in ample amount of water. Kababs will have a good texture if soaked well. Later drain the water completely and add to a large pot.
2.Add ginger, garlic, turmeric, red chili powder, whole red chilies, garam masala, cinnamon stick, jeera, green cardamoms, salt and chicken. Pour water just enough to partially cover the chicken. Do not add lot of water.
3.Cook them covering the pot partially until chicken and dal are soft & tender.
4.Ensure you evaporate the water completely otherwise the kebab mixture will turn mushy. Mushy mixture will not hold shape to form kababs.
5.Cool this completely and remove the whole spices and any bones if you have used bone-in-chicken.
Blending for chicken shami kabab
6. Transfer this to a processor or a blender and blend to a coarse mixture. The mixture has to be fairly dry and powdery. Next add green chilies, onions, mint & coriander leaves. Mix and check the salt and spice. If needed add more salt.
7.Break an egg to a small bowl and beat it lightly to get a uniform mixture.
8.Pour this little by little & mix to form a dough. Pour the egg in parts & use only as needed for binding. You can also first squeeze the shami kabab mixture a bit for the moisture to release. Then add the egg.
9.Divide the mixture to 8 to 10 equal parts and roll to balls. Flatten them as desired and make shami kebabs on your palm. Place all of them on a plate.
10.Heat oil for shallow frying in a deep pan. I fried all the shami kabab in 2 batches.
11.Break an egg to a wide bowl and beat it lightly to make a uniform mixture.
How to make shami kabab
12.When the oil turns hot enough, dip one shami kebab each time in the egg mixture and lift it with a fork.
13.Gently shake off the excess egg mixture to avoid the oil turning messy & frothy.
14.Gently slide these in the hot oil. Fry on a medium heat until golden, flipping to and fro as needed.
15.When they are golden fried, transfer the shami kababs to a colander.
Serve chicken shami kabab hot with mint chutney or kabab chutney.
You may like to check these chicken recipes