Ridge gourd skin chutney is a delicious, fiber rich & spicy chutney which you can serve with any breakfasts, snacks or even with plain rice. Often we end up throwing off all the fiber rich skin of veggies and fruits. With this recipe you can make use of the ridge gourd skin. Andhra cuisine is popular for different hot chutney varieties known as pachadi.
This ridge gourd skin chutney is most commonly known as beerakaya thokku pachadi. I usually do not remove the skin of ridge gourd when I make a beerakaya stir fry or beerakaya pachadi. But to make beerakaya pappu and ridge gourd curry I usually take off the skin.
I make this ridge gourd skin chutney and we all love it so much. You can make this chutney in a variety of ways. My recipe is super simple and I prefer to use some peanuts as it lends a nutty aroma and taste just like the peanut chutney.
You can also make this using chana dal and urad dal the usual way we make any south Indian chutney. We love this chutney along with some hot paratha, roti or even with hot rice & ghee.
Tips to make the chutney
- If not using organic ridge gourd, then scrub the skin of the ridge gourd with a vegetable scrubbing brush to get rid of any pesticide residue.
- I usually spray some vinegar and then brush it. Then rinse it well.
- Do not forget to devein the veggie first. The veins are not edible and may taste bitter in the chutney.
- If making this chutney for rice, then do not add too much water. Instead make it slightly coarse and thick.
- You can also replace peanuts with coconut.
Ridge gourd skin chutney
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup ridge gourd skin or peel or beerakaya thokku
- 4 tablespoons peanuts or 1 ½ tbsp. chana dal, 1 tbsp. urad dal
- 2 to 4 green chilies or red chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon Oil
- 1 tsp Lemon juice or tamarind paste (optional to suit your taste)
How to make the recipe
- Soak tamarind in little hot water. Squeeze and filter the tamarind juice. Do not make it runny. It will thin down the chutney.
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil and fry the ridge gourd skin for 3 minutes on a medium high flame. Set this aside to cool.
- In the same pan, fry green chilies for a min set this aside. Now add and fry dals or peanuts till they turn golden & aromatic.
- Once all fried ingredients are cool, add cumin, garlic and salt. Grind to a smooth or coarse chutney using tamarind water.
- Add more of less water depending on the consistency you desire. If you want to make a beerakaya thokku pachadi, make a coarse chutney.
- Heat the same pan with 1 tsp oil. Add mustard and cumin.
- Add garlic, chana dal, urad dal, red chilies & curry leaves. When the dal turns golde, turn off the heat.
- Pour this to the ridge gourd skin chutney. Serve with idli, dosa or rice.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.