Poori masala recipe – Simple potato curry for Poori or puri. One of the most eaten Breakfast across India is Poori with potato curry. Each region has their own style of making this curry with potatoes. Puri bhaji, poori curry and poori masala are some of the dishes.
The recipe shared here is a South Indian style dish made in most homes and tiffin centers. It is much similar to the poori sagu served in Karnataka tiffin centers.
The recipe is very simple and does not use too many ingredients. The curry is mildly spiced & has a good aroma that comes from boiled potatoes, green chilies, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
This poori masala can also be served with chapati, roti or any flatbread.
1. Wash, peel and cube the potatoes. Add them to a pressure cook along with 1 cup water. Cook for 1 whistle on a medium flame. If keeping it in a bowl and cooking, then cook for 2 to 3 whistles.
2. The potatoes must be cooked well. Avoid cooking them to a very mushy texture. Keep the cooked potatoes aside along with the stock (water used to cook potatoes).
3. Heat a pan with oil. Add chana dal, urad dal, cumin and mustard.
4. When the dals turn slightly golden, add curry leaves and green chilies. If you have kids at home, you can deseed the chilies and use.
5. Curry leaves will turn crisp, then add little hing.
6. Add sliced onions and little ginger. You can skip ginger if you don’t like.
7. Saute the onions until transparent or pink. The raw smell should go away.
8. Add tomatoes. Sprinkle salt and turmeric.
9. Fry the mixture until tomatoes turn completely mushy. The raw smell of tomatoes must go away otherwise the curry will not smell good.
How to make poori masala
10. Add the boiled potatoes. Pour the stock/water left in the cooker used for cooking potatoes.
11. Gently mash a bit to help thicken the curry. Retain some of the potato cubes to keep the curry chunky. Add more water if needed to adjust the consistency. I used about half cup more. Check the salt and add more if needed.
12. Cover and cook on a low flame for 3 to 4 minutes or until the poori masala turns thick.
13. Add chopped coriander leaves. Mix and keep covered until served.
Serve poori masala with poori.
Poori masala recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients to make poori masala
- 4 large potatoes ( or aloo cubed or 5 to 6 medium)
- 1 cup water (to cook potatoes)
- 1 large onion sliced (or 1 cup sliced)
- 1 large tomato (½ to ¾ cup, deseeded & chopped)
- ½ tsp ginger chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsps oil
- ¾ tbsp chana dal (or bengal gram)
- ¾ tbsp urad dal (or skinned black gram)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 green chili (slit or chopped)
- ½ tsp salt (or as needed)
- 1 pinch hing (or asafoetida)
- ¼ to ½ cup water (or as needed)
- 2 tbsps coriander leaves (chopped)
Spices for poori masala
- ½ tsp mustard
- ¾ tsp cumin (or jeera)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric (or haldi, as needed)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for poori masala
- Wash potatoes, peel and cube them. Pressure cook them with 1 cup water for 1 whistle.
- Cook on a medium flame until the potatoes cook completely. You can also cook them in a pot until soft.
How to make poori masala
- Pour oil to a pan and heat it. Fry jeera, mustard and dals until golden.
- Then add curry leaves and green chilies. Fry till leaves turn crisp. Sprinkle hing.
- Add onions and ginger.
- Fry until pink or transparent meaning they are not raw any more. Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt.
- Saute the tomatoes until mushy and the raw smell has completely gone.
- Transfer the cooked potatoes along with the water used to cook them. Mash them slightly. If needed add more water to bring it to a consistency.
- Check the salt and spice. If needed add more salt and another green chili.
- Mix well. Cook covered for 3 to 4 minutes until the curry reaches a thick consistency. Sprinkle coriander leaves. Serve poori masala with hot pooris.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
You can also use half cup of green peas and capsicum if you like.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.