Potato curry or aloo curry recipe. Simple, easy & quick to make delicious & flavorful potato curry. This is one of the most basic Indian curry recipes that even a newbie can try. This potato curry or aloo curry goes very well with chapati,phulka, roti, plain rice, pulao or dosa. Indian cuisine is diverse and many dishes are prepared in regional styles.
This potato curry is a generic one and you can tweak it easily to suit your taste buds. I usually make this in a pot but it can also be made in a Insta pot or pressure cooker to fasten the cooking process. The same recipe can be used to make a dry potato curry or a potato gravy curry.
Garam masala is the key ingredient used in Indian curry recipes to add flavor and taste. However if you do not have it just replace with a good flavorful curry powder or sambar powder. The taste of the potato curry depends on the spice powder used so choose a good one.
Potato curry – aloo curry recipe
Potato curry recipe | Aloo curry
Potato curry recipe for beginners. Simple. delicious & flavorful potato curry made with just a handful of ingredients. Serve this potato curry with rice, chapati, roti or even with bread.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for potato curry
- 1 cup potatoes cubed, about 3 medium sized
- ¾ cup onions chopped finely or processed
- 1 medium tomato ripe (or ½ cup chopped or pureed)
- 1 to 2 green chili (optional)
- 2 tbsps Oil
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or chopped garlic
- salt as needed
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves or cilantro chopped
- 1 bay leaf or sprig curry leaves (or ½ tsp kasuri methi) (optional)
Spices to make potato curry
- ¾ to 1¼ tsp garam masala or curry powder as needed
- ½ tsp red chili powder (adjust as needed)
- ½ tsp cumin (or jeera)
- ¼ tsp mustard (or rai) (optional)
- ¼ tsp turmeric (or haldi)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for potato curry
- If you desire to boil potato first you can cook it al dente. Peel & chop to cubes. You can also cook potato directly in the curry.
Wash and chop onions, tomatoes and green chilies.
How to make potato curry
Add oil to a pan and heat it. Add bay leaf (optional), cumin and mustard. Fry until the seeds begin to crackle.
Then add onions & chilli. Sprinkle salt. Fry until they turn golden. Saute ginger garlic paste for 2 mins.
Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Fry until they turn pulpy, soft and mushy.
Sprinkle red chili powder, garam masala or curry powder. Stir everything well and fry just for two minutes.
Add potatoes and saute them for 2 to 3 minutes.
Pour water just as needed. The water must partially cover the aloo.
Cook covered until the potatoes are fully cooked. Sprinkle kasuri methi or curry leaves. Check salt and spice. If desired add more as needed.
Stir well. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add coriander leaves.
- Serve potato curry with rice or roti.
For the potato curry to be flavorful, use a good garam masala or curry powder.
For more thicker gravy, you can use 1 tsp coriander powder.
How to make potato curry with step by step photos
1. To make this curry, you can use boiled potato or directly use raw potato. Some kinds of potatoes really don’t get cooked fast in curry. So you may consider boiling the potatoes al dente and then cut to small cubes. Then add in the curry. But i prefer to cook directly in the curry. It takes about 25 mins to cook potatoes once it is added to the gravy..
2. Heat oil in a pan. Then add mustard and cumin. Allow them to pop. Then add hing.
3. Add onions and fry until golden.
4. Next goes in ginger & garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell goes away.
5. Add finely chopped tomatoes or pureed tomatoes. Sprinkle salt and turmeric. Saute until the tomatoes turn mushy. If needed cover and cook for a while.
6. Add coriander powder, garam masala and chili powder.
7. Mix well. Then fry everything until the raw smells goes away. You can see oil begins to separate.
8. Add potatoes.
9. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
10. Add water just enough to make a gravy. If using boiled potatoes, then you can use the water (stock) in which you boiled them.
11. Cover and cook until aloo curry is fully done. If using boiled potato, cooking just for 2 to 3 mins is enough.
12. Add kasuri methi or coriander leaves.
Enjoy potato curry with rice, chapathi or bread.