Aloo matar recipe – Simple potato peas curry recipe made in North Indian style. This aloo mutter goes well with plain rice, roti or even with Jeera rice, South Indian coconut rice or ghee rice. I have made this in a kadai, you can make it in a pressure cooker too to save some time.
You can also add some cauliflower florets to the same recipe to make aloo gobi matar. You can as well use the same recipe to make dry aloo matar, more details in the step by step instructions below.
Aloo matar recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for aloo matar
- 3 potatoes or aloo – medium to large cubed
- ½ to ¾ cup matar or green peas as desired
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped or pureed
- 2 large onions chopped finely
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1 green chili slit or chopped
- ½ to ¾ cumin or jeera
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder or daniya powder
- ¾ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- salt as needed
- ¼ tsp turmeric or haldi as needed
- ¼ tsp kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves chopped finely
Preparation for aloo matar
- Wash and chop onions and tomatoes. Puree tomatoes if you do not like them chopped.
- Also wash and peel potatoes. Cube them to 1 inch pieces. Keep them immersed in water until used.
How to make aloo matar
- Heat oil in a cooker, pan or kadai. Saute cumin till they begin to crackle.
- Add chopped onions, green chili and fry until lightly golden or pink.
- Next put in the ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell disappears.
- Add tomato puree and saute for 2 mins.
- Next add chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric and salt.
- Saute until oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Add potatoes and peas. Saute for 2 mins.
- Add water just enough to cover the potatoes. Cook covered on a low to medium heat.
- Stir in between a few times, cook until the potatoes turn soft. You can adjust the consistency by adding more water as needed.
- If making in pressure cooker then, allow to whistle twice on a medium heat.
- Add kasuri methi and mix well.
- Adjust salt if needed.
- Serve aloo matar with rice or roti.
video of aloo matar recipe
Preparation for aloo matar
1. Wash and peel potatoes. Cut to cubes and keep them in water until used. Puree the tomatoes and chop onions finely. I have used chopped onions in the recipe. If you like smooth gravy, then you can also blanch the onions and puree them together with tomatoes. In this case you will have to saute ginger garlic paste first then add onion tomato paste.
2. Heat oil in a kadai or cooker. Add cumin and allow to crackle.
3. Add chopped onions, chilies and saute until golden. I have not used chilies as my kids still cannot eat hot foods.
4. Next add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell disappears.
5. Add chopped tomatoes or tomato puree. Mix and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
6. Sprinkle salt, red chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder and garam masala.
7. Stir and Saute until the masala is cooked well and oil begins to separate. This step is very important otherwise the gravy will not taste good.
making aloo matar gravy
8. Drain the potatoes and add them to the pan.
9. Add peas/ matar.
10. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
11. Pour water just enough to cover the potatoes. If you prefer to make a dry aloo matar, then add lesser water.
12. Mix and cover the pan. Cook on a low to medium heat until the aloo is soft cooked but not mushy. Keep stirring in between and add more water if needed.
13. Check if the potato is soft cooked. You can add more water if needed at this stage to adjust the consistency.
14. Crush kasuri methi in your palms and add it to the gravy. Stir and mix. Check salt and spice. Add more salt if needed. If you like to make it more hot, you can cut a green chili and add it at this stage.
15. Sprinkle some coriander leaves. If your gravy is runny, then you can cook further with out covering until the water evaporates. If you like to make dry aloo matar, cook on a slightly higher flame until all the water evaporates.
Serve aloo matar with roti, rice or jeera rice. Change in the color of the gravy is due to the lighting.