Cauliflower curry recipe – A simple tomato cauliflower curry that goes good with rice, chapati or plain paratha. Cauliflower is cooked in spiced onion tomato masala. I prefer to keep my dinner recipes simple and this is one of them. I just love the ease of cooking in this recipe. The entire gobi curry gets done under 30 minutes.This goes good even in a lunch box along with roti or rice.
There is no blending or pureeing of the onions and tomatoes. This is what makes the dish simple to cook. For the spice powder you can use garam masala, kitchen king masala, pav bhaji masala or even sambar powder.
Cauliflower curry recipe
Cauliflower curry recipe | How to make cauliflower curry | Gobi curry recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup onions chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes chopped
- 1½ cups cauliflower florets
- 1 green chili slit or chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp mustard (optional)
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or ginger grated
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Turmeric (or haldi)
- ½ to ¾ tsp. red chilli powder
- ¾ to 1 tsp. garam masala
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
How to make the recipe
- Heat water in a large bowl, add cauliflower florets to the slightly hot water and leave it for some time. Rinse them under running water and drain them.
- Heat a pan with oil. Then add cumin and mustard. Allow to splutter.
- Add curry leaves and ginger garlic paste. Fry on a low heat till the raw smell goes off. Next add onions and chili. Fry them till golden.
- Add tomatoes, sprinkle salt and turmeric powder.
- Fry till the tomatoes turn mushy and almost dry. If the tomatoes are not juicy, sprinkle a tbsp. of water and fry.
- Add garam masala and red chili powder as well. Saute for one to two minutes.
- Next add cauliflower and mix well. Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add water just enough to partially cover the cauliflower florets.If the cauliflower is tender, you can just sprinkle a few tbsps. water, it will release the moisture.
- Lastly cover and cook till they turn tender. To bring it to a consistency you desire, add more water or evaporate the water by cooking further
- Garnish cauliflower curry with coriander leaves
How to make cauliflower curry or gobi curry
1. Soak cauliflower florets in slightly hot water. Set aside for a while. Rinse them under running water. Drain completely.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin and mustard as well. When they pop add curry leaves. Then add in ginger garlic too.
3. Ona low heat, saute the paste in oil until the raw smell goes away.
4. Add onions. Fry until they turn golden.
5. Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Cook until they turn completely mushy.
6. Add garam masala and red chili powder. Stir and saute for a minute.
7. Add the drained cauliflower.
8. Stir and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes on a medium high flame.
9. Next sprinkle little water to cook the cauliflower. Do not pour too much. If the cauliflower is tender / young, there is no need to pour water. Just sprinkle few tbsps water and cook on a low flame. It will release moisture. If you like to make a dry curry, then too no need to add more water.
10. Cover the pan. Cook on a low flame until the cauliflower is cooked.
This is the consistency that goes good with rice or roti.
Garnish cauliflower curry with coriander leaves. Serve with rice or phulka.