Pumpkin halwa or kaddu ka halwa is usually prepared during festivals or the season when pumpkins are flooded in the market. There are a lot of recipes in Indian cuisine that uses pumpkin. Like it is added to the curries, stews, sambar and stir fry dishes. Pumpkin halwa is not a traditional Indian dish but it had been featured in a lot of televisions shows & magazines.
This pumpkin halwa or kaddu ka halwa is simple to make. It needs only few ingredients and gets done under 20 minutes.
I have mentioned 2 options to use pumpkin: grated or pressure cooked. Halwa made using grated pumpkin retains most nutrients as it is lightly cooked and only for a while.
However it is a matter of convenience. If you find it hard to grate, go for the other option mentioned in the step by steps.
Pumpkin halwa tastes light, delicious and can be served as a good after meal dessert or an evening snack.
I have used a golden pumpkin. Sometimes I also add khoya/mawa to make this pumpkin halwa.
It tastes great and rich, a special sweet that can be made during festivals.
You can also make a kasi halwa using this recipe. Kasi halwa is made using white pumpkin and no milk is used.
1. There are 2 options to use pumpkin, choose one of them. Wash pumpkin, cut to half.
- a. Pressure cook halved pumpkin without peeling for one whistle by placing in a bowl inside the cooker. Once the pressure cools down, scoop off the pumpkin flesh and discard the skin. Or
- b. Peel the pumpkin and then grate it. A food processor does the job easily.
how to make pumpkin halwa
2. Heat a pan with ghee (or coconut oil), add chopped cashews and fry till lightly golden. Set aside.
3. Add the pumpkin in any form grated or cooked and scooped. I have used grated pumpkin. Fry the pumpkin for 4 to 5 minutes in ghee. The raw smell should go away.
4. If you do not want to use milk, just skip this step. Pour the milk and cardamom powder. Allow it to absorb the milk. Do not use water, it will dilute the taste of the halwa. If you do not want to use milk just skip it.
5. Add sugar and stir. Moisture begins to release.
6. Keep stirring till the halwa thickens.
Garnish with fried cashews.
pumpkin halwa recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups pumpkin grated or ½ kg
- ¼ cup sugar + 1 to 2 tbsp. (adjust slightly)
- cashews or pistachios chopped, Few
- 1 to 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 pinch cardamom powder
- milk Few tbsp. (optional)
- Rinse pumpkin and cut to two.
- Peel the skin and grate it or steam cook the entire pumpkin until soft.
How to make pumpkin halwa
- Add ghee or coconut oil to a hot pan and fry the nuts till golden. Keep them side.
- To the same pan, add grated pumpkin or cooked pumpkin (refer image step by step one). Fry for about 4 to 5 minutes till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour the milk if using and add cardamom powder. Cook until the milk is absorbed.
- Add sugar and cook till the sugar melts and the halwa thickens.
- Add fried cashews and garnish. Serve pumpkin halwa hot or warm.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes