Coconut ladoo recipe with video & step by step photos – One of the Indian sweets recipes that can very easily be made for any festival. These can be made using fresh coconut or desiccated coconut, with sugar or jaggery to suit ones taste. I made these with desiccated coconut, sugar and milk. But they can be made using fresh coconut or frozen coconut as well.
I have also shared 2 other recipes, coconut laddu made using desicatted coconut & condensed milk. Another one is this coconut ladoo with jaggery. If using fresh or frozen coconut, the amount of milk used in the recipe is either scaled down to half or the milk is simmered till it reduces to half the quantity and then the coconut and sugar are added.
To make coconut ladoo recipe, I have doubled the ingredients and made 24 ladoos. In the step by photos you will find the quantity of ingredients more than mentioned in the recipe.
You may like to check these 30 Coconut Recipes.
Recipe of coconut ladoo or nariyal ladoo
Coconut ladoo recipe | How to make coconut ladoo (laddu) | Nariyal ladoo
Coconut ladoo are delicious sweet balls made for festive occasions. Learn to make them 3 ways.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for coconut ladoo
- 2 cups coconut or nariyal (fresh or desiccated)
- 1/8 tsp green cardamom powder or elaichi powder
- 8 cashews broken or as needed
- 1 tsp ghee
- ¾ cup sugar or ½ tin condensed milk
- 1 cup milk (½ cup if using fresh coconut) (skip if using condensed milk)
How to make the recipe
Method 1 - Preparation for coconut ladoo
- Heat ghee in a pan, add nuts and roast till golden. Set them aside.
To the same pan, add coconut, milk and sugar. If using desiccated coconut set the pan aside for 15 minutes for the coconut to soak well.
Cook till the mixture thickens and all the moisture evaporates completely. The mixture must still be moist.
- Add cardamom powder and nuts. Mix well.
How to make coconut ladoo
- Cool the mixture slightly. When it comes down to warm temperature, roll the mixture to balls.
- When they are still warm and moist you can also roll them in desiccated coconut.
- Store coconut laddu in an airtight jar and refrigerate. Use within 5 to 7 days.
Method 2 - Coconut ladoo with condensed milk
Mix together 2 cups coconut, 1/4 tsp cardamom powder and ½ tin condensed milk. Cook on a low flame until thick and turns to a mass. The mixture must be still moist. If needed add more condensed milk for more sweetness. Cool and add chopped pistachios. Roll to small balls.
Method 3 - Coconut ladoo with jaggery
Mix together coconut and grated jaggery in a pan. Cook until the mixture smells good and turn thick. Add little ghee and nuts. Cool down and roll to balls.
Video of coconut ladoo
To make coconut laddu, if using fresh coconut then you can use only half cup milk or boil one cup milk till it thickens and reduces to half cup. Then add sugar and coconut.
How to make coconut ladoo recipe
1. Add coconut, sugar and milk to a pan.
2. Mix well and leave aside for about 15 minutes.
3. Begin to cook, stirring often to prevent burning. The mixture becomes gooey when the sugar begins to melt.
4. Cook till the mixture gets cooked well and all the moisture evaporates. The mixture should be moist but not soggy else they will not get a good shape when rolled. Add roasted nuts, cardamom powder and stir well. Set aside till the temperature comes down.
5. When the temperature comes down to warm, take small portions of the mixture and roll to balls. You can also roll them in desiccated coconut if you prefer. To roll the balls in coconut make sure the balls are still warm and moist.
Store coconut ladoo in an airtight jar. Refrigerate and use with in 5 to 7 days.