Rava modak recipe for Ganesh chaturthi – Simple, quick and easy modak recipe for beginners. Modak or modakam can be made with many kinds of stuffing like dal jaggery, sweetened coconut, dry fruits or even with mawa. This rava modak is made with coconut jaggery stuffing & the outer cover is made with semolina or rava.
This is simple when compared to the traditional steamed or ukadiche modak. Since these rava modak are not steamed these are quick to make and saves some time.
To make these rava modak, You can choose from a variety of stuffing from the modak recipes mentioned below.
Chana dal modak (chana dal poornam)
Ellu kozhukattai (sesame seeds poornam)
Dry fruits modak
Malai modak (paneer stuffing)
I have used mould to make these rava modak, if you like to make them without a mould, then do check this post on How to make modak without mould.
Rava modak recipe
Rava modak recipe | How to make rava modak | rava modakam
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
For the covering
- ¾ cup rava or semolina/ suji
- 2 to 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 1 tsp sugar or a pinch of salt
For the stuffing
- 1 cup coconut (desiccated or fresh grated coconut tightly packed)
- ½ cup jaggery tightly packed or sugar (you can add 1 tbsp more)
- 2 tbsp water if using desiccated coconut (skip for fresh coconut)
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder or elaichi powder
How to make the recipe
Prepare stuffing for rava modak
- Mix coconut, cardamom powder and jaggery in a pan. Begin to cook on a low heat. If using desiccated coconut add 2 tbsp water for the jaggery to release moisture, skip water if using fresh coconut. If your jaggery isn’t clean, then you can melt it with 2 tbsp water and filter it. Then add coconut to it and cook until the mixture thickens.
- When the mixture thickens, switch off the heat and cool this.
- Divide the mixture to 9 to 11 portions and roll them to balls.
Making rava modak
- On a medium heat , roast semolina in ghee until crunchy and aromatic.
- While you roast the rava, bring water to a boil.
- Lower the flame. Pour this slowly to the semolina stirring with the other hand to prevent lumps.
- Stir well to make sure there are no lumps. Add salt or sugar.
- Cover and cook until the water is completely absorbed. Cook for another 2 mins until the mixture begins to leave the sides of the pan.
- Cool this down. Grease your palms and knead it a bit to make the mixture uniform.
- Grease the mould and stuff the rava mixture. Make a large hole in the center and stuff the ball. Seal them. Repeat greasing and the other steps to make more.
- Rava modak are ready to offer to god Ganesha.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
Prepare stuffing for rava modak recipe
1. Add coconut, jaggery / sugar and cardamom powder to a pan. I have used clean raw jaggery, so used it directly. If your jaggery has stones or debris, then melt the jaggery first with 2 tbsp of water on a low heat. When the jaggery completely dissolves then filter it and begin to cook. I have also added 2 tbsp water to the pan since I used desiccated coconut which has no moisture to melt the jaggery.
2. Stir and cook on a medium to low flame until the mixture thickens. Do not overcook else the mixture may turn hard. You may also get a dry mixture at this stage depending on the kind of jaggery or sugar used.
3. Cool this mixture and make 9 to 11 balls.
Making outer covering for rava modak
4. Add ghee and then rava to a kadai and begin to fry on a medium to low heat.
5. Semolina begins to emit a good smell when it is roasted. This step makes the covering taste good with a soft and smooth texture.
6. While the semolina is roasting, bring water to a boil.
7. When the rava smells good, lower the heat. Pour this water slowly. Keep the semolina stirring to prevent lumps.
8. Stir to make sure there are no lumps.
9. Add a pinch of salt or 1 tsp sugar. We prefer sugar.
10. Cover and cook on a low heat until the water is absorbed completely and semolina is cooked. Cook for 2 mins until the mixture begins to leave the sides.
11. Cool this a bit. When it is still warm, knead the cooked mixture a bit just to make it uniform and sticky.
How to make rava modak
12. Grease the mould generously with ghee.
13. Take little portions of the mixture and stuff inside the mould. Make a hole in the center.
14. Stuff the coconut ball or mixture.
15. Seal it up well.
16. Open the mould and remove the rava modakam to the plate. These need not be steamed as the covering is completely cooked.
Offer rava modak to God Ganesha.