Raw banana curry recipe – Raw banana is high in protein, many other nutrients, has low Glycemic Index and has high resistant starch making it suitable even to the diabetic folks. It is one of the veggies that i cook often since my kids love them a lot. This raw banana curry is simple to prepare and goes good with plain rice, rasam or sambar. I also pack this for the kids lunch box as a side with jeera rice, coconut rice, lemon rice and pudina rice.
To make this raw banana curry, the whole banana is cooked with the peel so that the nutrients are not leached to the water which is discarded. The cooked banana is then seasoned.
Raw banana curry recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 raw banana large
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger grated or ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tbsp urad dal
- 3/4 tbsp chana dal
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 pinch hing
- 1 onions large or 2 medium , thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 green chilies slit (or red chili powder as needed)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- salt as needed
- coriander leaves few
- lemon juice as needed
- 1/4 tsp garam masala (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Cut the stem of the raw banana and boil till cooked. To check prick the banana with a fork or knife. When the banana is cooked it easily goes in.
- Cool the banana a bit and then peel off the skin. Cut it to desired sizes.
- Add oil to a hot pan. Add cumin and mustard when they splutter, add chana dal and urad dal. Fry until golden. Then add curry leaves and ginger. Fry until the raw smell disappears.
- Add sliced onions, chili. Fry until the onions turn transparent.
- Add salt and turmeric. Stir well.
- Add the cubed banana and then fry for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cover and cook on a low flame for 2 to 3 minutes. If the banana is not cooked. Sprinkle some water and cook further.
- You can mash the banana a bit if you like. Add chopped coriander leaves. Stir well.
- Serve aratikaya kura with plain rice and rasam or sambar.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
How to make raw banana curry recipe
1. Wash banana under running water. Add salt to a large pot with water and soak the banana for a while to get rid of pesticide residue. Discard the water and cut off both the ends of the banana. Refill the pot with water and cook on a medium flame till completely done. To check i prick them with a fork or knife. If the banana is still uncooked, it is hard to prick. It usually takes around 12 to 15 minutes to cook 2 large bananas. Even if it is slightly under cooked it is just fine. Alternately they can be grilled on charcoal, doing it on gas stove may clog the burner.
2. Remove the banana from hot water and set aside to cool. The peel comes off easily. Cube them or mash them gently however you like.
3. Add oil to a pan, heat it. Add mustard, cumin, dals and saute until the dals turn golden. Add grated ginger or ginger garlic paste and curry leaves. Fry until the raw smell of ginger goes away. It can also be added after frying onions.
4. Add onions and green chili, fry until lightly pink or golden. Sprinkle turmeric and salt. Make sure you use enough green chilies to get the heat.
5. Add banana.
6. Stir well. Cover and cook on a low flame for 3 minutes. If the banana is under cooked, little water can be sprinkled and cooked.
7. When the banana is soft cooked, add coriander leaves. Switch off. If using red chili powder and garam masala you can add it now. I did not use any, it tastes good even without spice powders if enough green chili is used. At this stage, If you like to mash the banana you can mash it and add a bit of water to keep the curry moist. I did mash it little but forgot to take a picture. Little lemon juice can also be added now.
Serve raw banana curry with rice, rasam and sambar.