schezwan chicken fried rice recipe – a mildly spicy, hot and delicious chicken fried rice recipe with soft and tender chicken chunks. This chicken fried rice doesn’t need any accompaniment and tastes great on its own. You can also check this schezwan veg fried rice for the vegetarian version. For this recipe, there is no need to blend red chilies or make any sauce separately.
To make any schezwan recipe, we need schezwan sauce. But making the sauce just for a single or two servings fried rice is difficult since the recipe needs only few red chilies and they don’t really get blended well in most blenders. I use a cut short method to make sauce for this schezwan chicken fried rice just like i made for the chicken starter and spicy schezwan veg fried rice.
This schezwan chicken fried rice recipe makes a single jumbo serving, to make more servings just increase the ingredients proportionately. Adjust the amount of ginger garlic to suit your taste. But if making at least 3 servings, then you can soak 12 to 15 red chilies and blend them to make a paste. Use the less spicy variety like kashmiri or byadgi chilies. If using ready made bottled schezwan sauce, follow the recipe from step 9.
To tenderize the chicken, it can be soaked in butter milk for 1 hour. To make buttermilk, add one tbsp yogurt to 3/4 cup water and whisk it. Soak chicken in it. Drain up and use in the recipe. I haven’t soaked since the chicken i used were very tender fillets.
This recipe can also be used to make shrimp fried rice or fish fried rice. Just substitute chicken with fish or shrimps. I suggest using organic soya sauce if you are accessible to it since it is made of non gmo soya beans and is preservative free.
How to make schezwan chicken fried rice
1. Add 3/4 to 1 tsp good red chili powder to a bowl and make a smooth paste using water as needed. Set this aside. If making at least 3 servings, then soak the 12 to 15 red chilies in warm water till they soften and blend with little water to make a smooth paste.
2. Add little oil to a hot pan and fry finely chopped ginger and garlic till aromatic.
3. Add finely chopped onions, Fry till transparent.
4. Add sugar, salt , red chili paste, vinegar and soya sauce.
5. Add coarsely crushed sichuan peppers. If you don’t have replace them with pepper powder. But sichuan peppers add a great flavor to the rice.
6. Mix and fry until it smells good.
7. Pour little water and stir.
8. Cook till the water evaporates and oils begins to separate. Set this aside in a small bowl till we need.
9. To the same pan, add chicken and begin to saute on a medium flame.
10. The leftovers of the sauce in the pan, gives a good color to the chicken. Keep stirring and cook on a low to medium flame till soft cooked. If needed you can cover and cook. But i did not since the chicken was tender and got cooked easily.
11. Add the rest of the ginger garlic along with little oil. Fry for a minute. Add all chopped veggies. Fry until the bell peppers are almost cooked.
12. Add back the sauce along with salt. Use salt only if needed. Mix and fry for one minute.
13. Add cooked and cooled rice, i added a bit more of olive oil.
14. Mix and on a high flame fry for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve schezwan chicken fried rice hot.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1/2 cup rice
- 150 grams chicken boneless
- 1/4 tsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp ginger minced , (adjust to suit your taste)
- ½ tbsp garlic minced , (adjust to suit your taste)
- ¼ to ½ cup veggies like bell pepper, spring onions, and carrots
to make schezwan sauce or use ready made sauce
- ¾ tsp red chili powder or 1 tsp red chili paste
- 2 to 3 schezwan or sichuan pepper corn or 1/4 tsp coarsely crushed pepper
- 3/4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp ginger finely chopped or minced
- ½ tbsp garlic finely chopped or minced
- 2 tbsp onions finely chopped
- ½ to ¾ tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsp water
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes, cook in 3 cups of water till al dente and drain off. Set aside to cool.
- Make a fine paste of red chili powder and water. Set aside.
- heat a pan with 3/4 tbsp. oil, add chopped ginger and garlic. Fry until they smell good.
- add onions and fry until transparent.
- add red chili paste, sugar, vinegar, soya sauce and salt.
- Fry until the it thickens a bit, add pepper powder or sichuan pepper . Fry until it smells aromatic.
- Add little water and cook until the sauce begins to leave oil. Set this aside.
- Add chicken to the same pan and stir. On a low flame, cook until the chicken is done completely. If needed you can cover and cook.
- Add the ginger garlic and saute. Add chopped veggies and cook till half cooked yet crunchy.
- Add the sauce we made earlier and add more salt as needed. Mix and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the cooled rice, rest of the oil and Mix.
- Fry on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Switch off and serve hot.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes