Veg noodles recipe – A quick dinner idea for busy week nights. Making this healthy & delicious vegetable noodles is super easy. It takes only 20 mins to make 2 servings. This also goes great with a saucy Indo chinese side like Gobi manchurian, Veg manchurian, Chilli paneer etc. As such it tastes great on its own even without a side.
You can use any of your favorite veggies like cabbage, carrots, capsicum, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, green peas, bean sprouts and beans.
The flavors of the noodles made in Chinese restaurants or takeaways is so intense & is very hard to create the same at home.
Large burners, large woks and making individual servings are the 3 main factors for the restaurant noodles to be so flavorful.
In this post I am sharing the details on how to make the best veg noodles with lots of tips & tricks.
Tips to make veg noodles
Noodles : For this recipe you can use any kind of noodles like whole grain, hakka noodles, egg noodles, soba noodles etc. I have used soba noodles here.
High flame is the main factor that lends a smoky aroma to the Chinese dishes. So just like any other Chinese dishes the vegetable noodles recipe has to be prepared on a high flame.
Wok: Most Chinese restaurants use a wok made of carbon steel which also helps to fry the food imparting a smoky aroma. A heavy bottom pan, cast iron skillet or a kadai also work well for home preparations.
Soya sauce is the key ingredient used to make any Chinese noodles to get a umami taste. Choose organic or naturally brewed soya sauce for health reasons. You can also use tamari instead of soy sauce. However you can also avoid it completely if you do not prefer.
Other sauce: I have not used any kind of sauce here, but you can simply add your favorite sauce like chilli sauce, schezwan sauce or sriracha.
You can also skip all the sauces and just add a single strand of mace and a star anise along with garlic. These lend a wonderful aroma to the vegetable noodles.
Tips to cook noodles
- Always bring water to a rolling boil before adding the noodles to the water.
- Use salt and oil only if mentioned on the pack. Some kind of noodles do not require both as they are already salted.
- Cook the noodle al dente without making them mushy. Please follow the instructions on the pack for cook time of the noodles. The cook time varies depending on the kind of noodles.
- Once the noodles are drained to the colander, rinse them well under cold water. Please check the pack of your noodles. Some kind of noodles turn limpy when kept under cold water. So they should not be rinsed.
- You can also smear 1 tbsp oil to the cooked noodles to prevent them from turning sticky.
Easy veg noodles recipe
Veg noodles recipe | How to make noodles | Vegetable noodles recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for veg noodles recipe
- 2 packs noodles individual packs or 2 servings (prefer whole wheat or whole grain noodles)
- salt as needed
- 2 to 3 tbsp olive oil or sesame oil
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 1 to 3 green chilies slit (use as needed)
- 1 small onion sliced or 2 to 3 tbsp spring onion whites (optional)
- 2 to 3 cups mixed veggies julienned (cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, beans etc)
- ½ tsp pepper powder
Sauce – optional
- 1 tbsp soya sauce or star anise & 1 strand mace
- 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tsp hot sauce like chilli sauce or sriracha
How to make the recipe
- Bring 5 cups water to a rolling boil.
- Add the noodles and cook them al dente without making them mushy.
- Follow the instructions on the pack for cook time.
- Drain to a colander.
- Rinse them well under running cold water.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp oil and smear it to the noodles to prevent them from turning sticky.
- Set aside. While the noodles cook, prepare the veggies.
Making veg noodles
- Add oil to a hot pan and put on to a high flame.
- Saute garlic & green chilies for a minute.
- If using onions saute them for a minute.
- Add carrot, bell pepper & cabbage.
- Toss & saute for 2 to 3 mins until they are half done yet crunchy.
- Pour in vinegar, soya sauce & hot sauce if using.
- Add cooked noodles, pepper and salt.
- Toss and stir fry for 2 mins.
- Serve veg noodles hot or warm.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
1. Bring water to a boil to cook noodles. I used organic soba noodles (made of wheat flour & buck wheat flour/ kuttu in hindi) which calls for cooking for 4 minutes. You can simply follow the instructions on your pack for the cooking time.
Do not overcook as they turn mushy. While the noodles cook shred the veggies. I used about 2 heaped cups of cabbage, 3/4 cups of carrot, 1/4 cup of beans, 3/4 cup capsicum. You can use upto 3 1/2 cups of mixed veggies. Make sure cabbage is well drained.
2. When the noodles are cooked al dente, drain them and rinse with cold water. Drain in a colander & smear some oil to keep them non sticky.
How to make veg noodles recipe
3. Heat a pan with olive oil on the highest flame. Add chopped garlic & slit green chilies. I also use 1 strand of mace / javitri and star anise. Saute until the garlic smells good, just for a minute.
Make sure you use enough green chilies for the heat if you do not prefer to use any sauce else the noodles will be very bland.
4. I skipped onions. If you are using toss them for a minute or 2. Next add all the veggies.
5. Fry stirring often for 2 to 3 minutes. Do not over cook, we want the veggies to be crunchy.
6. Pour soya sauce, hot sauce and vinegar. I skipped the sauces and just drizzled some vinegar. Add drained noodles, salt, pepper and then some more olive oil. Add salt with caution if you have used it already while boiling.
Frying veg noodles
7. Toss or mix and fry for 2 mins without burning.
If you like your noodles to be slightly tangy, you may add some lemon juice just before serving. But the flavor of vinegar cannot be replicated.
But these veg noodles taste great, just use the right amount or generous amount of olive oil, salt and green chilies.
I made some fried eggs in the same pan. Set aside the noodles to serving plates. Add 2 tsp oil to the hot pan. Just pour your egg on the hot pan and cook on a low heat until the yolk is partially set.
Flip it and cook until done. Sprinkle some salt and pepper. For step by step photos, you can check this post on fried eggs.
Serve veg noodles hot or warm.