Sesame seeds rice recipe – A quick, tasty and iron rich rice dish that can be eaten for a meal. To make the meal more nutritious and complete, serve this with a bowl of veggie salad and curd. Sesame seeds are highly nutritious and alkaline in nature. They have been traditionally consumed for the over all health of the body.
Sesame seeds are widely used in Indian cuisine to make ladoos, chikkis & curries. Sesame rice is one of the varieties you can make when you do not have time to make a elaborate meal.
I have used unhulled sesame seeds, you can also use black sesame. Nylon sesame & hulled sesame are low in nutrition so try using unhulled seeds.
To make sesame rice, spiced sesame seeds powder is made first. Then tempered and mixed with rice. You can make the spiced sesame powder ahead and store it in a glass jar. Just cook the rice and season it.
You can also skip the seasoning. Just drizzle the powder and sprinkle some oil. Mix it and serve. Sometimes I also pack this for the kids’ school box with some cucumber and carrot slices.
Sesame seeds rice recipe
Sesame seeds rice (Ellu sadam)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 3 red chilies (use as needed)
- 1 sprig curry leaves (optional)
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- 3 tbsps sesame seeds
- ½ tsp cumin (jeera)
- 2 tbsps dry coconut / copra (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ½ red chili broken
- 1 pinch hing / asafoetida
- salt as needed
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice
How to make the recipe
- Cook rice grainy and not mushy. Cool it completely.
- Heat a pan on a medium flame. Add urad dal, chana dal and red chlies.
- Roast these till lightly golden.
- Add garlic, curry leaves, sesame seeds, cumin and coconut.
- Roast just until the seeds begin to splutter. Turn off the stove.
- Cool these and make a powder.
How to make sesame rice
- Add oil to a pan. Heat it. Add mustard, urad dal and red chili.
- When the dal turns golden, add curry leaves and hing.
- Turn off the heat. Add 1 tbsp of sesame powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add cooled and cooked rice.
- Mix well. If needed you can add more oil and spice powder.
- Serve sesame rice with sliced veggies and curd.
- Store the remaining sesame powder in a jar and use when needed.
Video of sesame rice recipe
How to make sesame seeds rice
1. On a low to medium heat, dry roast urad dal, chana dal and red chilies. Keep stirring them to prevent browning.
2. When they turn light golden, add garlic. This is optional but adds flavor. Skip it if making during festivals.
3. Add curry leaves and sesame. I have used rinsed and sun dried sesame. You can also rinse them and air dry on a cloth. Rinsing is optional. You can skip curry leaves.
4. Add cumin.
5. Add dried coconut / copra. Dried copra has more nutritional values than desiccated coconut. You can also use fresh one but the shelf life of powder will be less. Make sure you do not burn these. Turn off the stove when the sesame begin to splutter. Cool these.
6. Add them to a blender.
7. Powder it.
8. Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil. Add urad dal, mustard and red chilies. Urad dal turns hard in the rice. So if you don’t like them you can also skip it.
9. When they turn golden, add curry leaves and hing. Turn off the stove.
10. Add the spice powder and salt. Do not fry this otherwise it may taste bitter. Just mix it.
11. Add cooled rice and mix. You can also add more powder and oil if needed.
Method 2 to make sesame rice.
I usually do not temper the rice. I add the sesame powder, some crushed roasted peanuts, salt and cold pressed oil to the cooled rice. Mix everything well and serve.
Serve sesame seeds rice with sliced cucumbers and carrots.