Turmeric rice is a one pot dish made with basmati rice, warming spices & herbs. It can be served with any curry, dal or even with a raita. Turmeric is a spice that is believed to keep the body warm, and is great during winters.
Turmeric rice is made in almost all Asian countries but much differently in each country. This post shows you how to make simple yet flavorful turmeric rice which you can make in a jiffy.
In Indian cuisine, we make a lot of rice varieties like pulao, biryani & bhath recipes. Most homes do not make turmeric rice as such but add turmeric to pretty much every rice dish except for the plain steamed rice.
Turmeric is a warming spice and has amazing benefits especially during winters. This turmeric rice is the way I make at home when I wish to make the meal more colorful & interesting.
This dish is best prepared in a pot on a very low flame. But it can also be made in a instant pot or a Indian cooker. I have included the details of the same below.
Related recipe : Turmeric milk
Turmeric rice (stovetop & instant pot)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 2½ to 3 tablespoons butter
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric (prefer organic)
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced or paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced or paste
- 3 cups stock or coconut milk (refer notes)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon ground pepper or crushed black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon cumin (or I use caraway seeds – shahi jeera)
- 6 green cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 2 inches cinnamon (2 pieces)
- 1 strand mace (optional)
- 1 star anise
- ¼ cup coriander leaves chopped
- ¼ cup nuts & raisins (optional) (refer notes)
How to make the recipe
- Rinse rice well a few times. Soak it for at least 15 to 30 mins. Drain the rice and set aside.
- Heat butter in a pot and melt it.
- Add all the whole spices and saute on a low flame until fragrant.
- Then add ginger garlic and saute again for 30 to 60 seconds without burning or browning the garlic.
- Next stir in pepper and turmeric.
- Then add drained rice and regulate the flame to high.
- Fry the rice for about 2 mins stirring occasionally. Avoid stirring often as the rice grains will break.
- Pour the stock or coconut milk & add salt. Check the salt and add more if desired.
- Simmer and cover the pot. Cook on a low heat until the rice is fully cooked.
- When done fluff up the turmeric rice with a fork and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with a curry, dal or a raita.
Instant pot turmeric rice
- Press saute button and add butter to the steel insert of the instant pot.
- When the butter melts, add all the whole spices and saute for 30 seconds.
- Saute ginger, garlic, turmeric and pepper for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Then add the drained rice & fry for a minute.
- Pour 1 ¾ cup + 2 tbsps stock or coconut milk along with salt. Stir and check salt.
- Press cancel button & secure the instant pot with the lid. Position the steam release handle to sealing.
- Press pressure cook button (manual in older Ips) & set the timer to 5 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps, press cancel and let the pressure release naturally 10 mins.
- Fluff up the turmeric rice and garnish with coriander leaves.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
1.Rinse rice very well in ample amount of water. Drain and soak for at least 15 to 30 mins. If you are in a hurry, soak them in slightly hot water for 10 mins. Drain and use.
2. Peel and mince ginger and garlic. If using green chilli, chop it and set aside.
How to make turmeric rice
3.Heat a pot with butter. When the butter melts, add all the whole spices and saute them on a low heat for 30 to 60 seconds.
4. Then add ginger, garlic and chilli (optional). Saute them until fragrant. Do not brown them.
5.Add pepper, turmeric and salt. Quickly stir.
6.Drain the water completely and add the rice. On a high flame saute very well for 2 mins stirring occasionally and not frequently.
7.Pour stock or coconut milk. Stir and taste it. The water must be slightly salty else add a bit more.
8.Reduce the flame to very low and cook covered until the turmeric rice is done. If you want to make this in the Indian pressure cooker, cook for 1 whistle on a medium flame.
9.When done there will be no moisture at the bottom of the pan.