Biryani rice recipe – kuska rice or plain biryani without vegetables made in south Indian muslim style. This is different from the biryani rice or biryani chawal that is served in North Indian restaurants. You can also check this recipe of Biryani chawal known as “GHEE RICE” in South India.
One can also find this biryani rice or kuska in South Indian restaurants with a Non-vegetarian Meal.
This biryani rice is made without vegetables so no chopping or grinding work and yet it tastes flavorful. One can find slightly different versions of these, while a few folks use mild flavorful biryani masala powder.
It is all up to ones choice of whether to used ground spices or skip them.
How to make biryani rice recipe
1. Wash and soak rice for about 20 to 30 mins. Meanwhile prepare the onions and tomatoes. After 30 mins drain the rice completely to a colander. Set this aside.
2. Heat oil in a pot or pressure cooker. Add bay leaf, star anise, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, shahi jeera and mace. Saute until the shahi jeera splutters.
3. Add sliced 3/4 cup onions and fry until golden.
4. Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and fry until it smells good.
5. Make sure the raw smell of garlic goes away.
6. Add tomatoes and yogurt. Stir to prevent burning.
7. Add 1/2 to 3/4 tsp red chili powder, little turmeric, handful of mint, coriander, salt and 1 tsp biryani masala powder (optional). For the kuska rice, most ppl do not use biryani masala powder.
8. Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy and oil begins to separate.
9. Add 3 1/2 cups water. Bring it to a boil.
10. Add drained rice. Mix well.
11. Cook on a medium flame until very little water is left. Refer the picture. Lower the flame completely. Cover the pot or pressure cooker with a lid and cook for exactly 5 to 6 mins. I used a pressure cooker.
12. When the rice is done, open the lid and fluff up.
This rice goes very well with any veg or non veg gravy. Some serving suggestions for vegetarians are
soya chunks kurma
mirch ka salan
Non-vegetarians can serve this with
Biryani rice recipe
Biryani rice recipe | Kuska rice or plain biryani without veggies
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for kuska rice
- 2 cups rice (preferably basmati)
- 3.5 cups water or stock (chicken or veg stock)
- 2 to 2 ½ tbsp Oil
- ½ cup onion thinly sliced (or about 1 lmedium)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup tomato chopped ( or about 1 large, deseeded)
- Salt as needed
- Handful mint (or pudina & coriander)
- ¼ cup curd or fresh yogurt (do not use sour one)
Spices for kuska
- 1 bay leaf (or tej patta)
- 4 to 6 cloves (or laung)
- 4 to 6 green cardamoms (or elaichi)
- 1 star anise (or chakri phool)
- ½ tsp shahi jeera (or jeera)
- 1 strand mace (or javitri)
- 1 cinnamon (or dalchini) two inch
- ¼ tsp Turmeric (or haldi)
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder (or lal mirch powder)
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp biryani masala powder (any readymade will do) (optional)
How to make kuska rice biryani
- Rinse and soak rice for at least 20 minutes. Drain water completely. Set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker or a heavy bottom pan with oil. Add spices and fry till they turn fragrant.
- Next add onions and fry till onions turn golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till it gets fragrant. Do not burn
- Transfer tomatoes,curd, red chili powder, pudina, coriander, salt and turmeric. If using biryani masala powder add it now.
- Fry till tomatoes turn mushy, soft and pulpy. The mixture begins to leave the oil as well.
- Pour water or stock and bring water to a boil. adjust the salt (you could vary the amount of water based on your rice)
- Add rice and cook till very little water is left. refer the pic
- Cover the pressure cooker with the lid, cook on a low flame for 3 to 5 mins. Do not let the cooker whistle.
- if cooking in a pan or casserole, just cover tightly and cook till the rice is fully done. it could take around 5 mins. If using normal rice, allow to whistle once.
- Let the pressure go off, then fluff up the biryani kuska rice.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes