Soya chunks manchurian recipe with video and step by step photos – Quick, delicious, vegetarian appetizer that can be made under 30 mins. Indo chinese Chilli & Manchurian dishes are a favorite at home and are made once in few months. This soya chunks manchurian is very very quick to make since there is not much of chopping or preparation work like we do for other manchurian recipes.
Soya chunks turn out to be very crispy once they are fried and remain the same for about an hour. They begin to turn soggy after 5 to 7 mins of adding them to the sauce. So make sure, you add the fried chunks only before serving it.
Soya chunks manchurian recipe card
Soya chunks manchurian
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup soya chunks
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder (less spicy variety)
- ¼ tsp pepper powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp corn flour or corn starch or just wheat flour
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
For the Manchurian sauce
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped finely
- ½ tbsp ginger chopped finely
- ¼ cup spring onions or regular onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup capsicum / bell pepper, fine chopped
- 1 tsp soya sauce (prefer organic or naturally brewed)
- 1 tbsp chili sauce (prefer without MSG)
- ½ to ¾ tbsp tomato sauce (prefer without MSG)
- 1 tsp vinegar (prefer organic vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
- ½ tsp sugar (optional, use if your sauce isn’t sweet)
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder (optional, for color)
- ¾ tsp corn flour or corn starch
- ½ cup water
- Salt if needed (may not need)
- ¼ tsp pepper crushed coarsely
- spring onion greens Few , for garnish
How to make the recipe
- Bring 3 to 4 cups water to a boil and add soya chunks. Allow to rest for some time until they turn soft.
- Squeeze off the excess water (froth) from the chunks. Rinse them well in a pot full of water and repeat squeezing them to remove excess water.
- Add them to a mixing bowl along with salt, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder and corn flour.
- Mix everything well, if needed sprinkle little water for the flour to bind the chunks.
- Set these aside for 10 mins, until you prepare the garlic, onions and capsicum for sauce.
Frying soya chunks
- Heat oil in a kadai and fry these on a medium heat until golden and crisp.
- Remove them to a kitchen tissue. Set these aside.
Making soya chunks manchurian sauce
- Mix ¾ tsp corn flour in ½ cup water. Make sure it has no lumps. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add garlic and saute for a min.
- Add spring onions and saute on a high flame till they smell good, for about a minute.
- Next add capscium and saute for 2 to 3 mins until the aroma comes out.
- Add soya sauce, vinegar, chili sauce & tomato sauce.
- Stir the corn flour well with water and pour that as well.
- Add chili powder if you prefer a deep color.
- Lower the heat and stir well. Cook until the sauce thickens. Taste the sauce and check if needed add sugar and salt. Sauce has to be slightly sour, sweet and hot.
- When the sauce thickens, add pepper and mix.
- Allow the sauce to cool down a bit.
- Add the crisp fried soya chunks and mix well.
- Garnish soya chunks manchurian with spring onions.
Preparation for soya chunks manchurian
1. Heat water in a pan and add soya chunks. Allow them to soak for 15 mins until they turn soft. Squeeze up the frothy liquid from the soya and add them to fresh water again. Rinse well and squeeze again to remove the froth. This froth if not removed a few times can cause indigestion or tummy upset.
2. Transfer the drained soya chunks to a mixing bowl. I used the same utensil/ pan used to heat up the water.
3. Add ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, salt and corn flour.
4. Mix everything well. If needed sprinkle some water. Set these aside for 10 to 15 mins.
5. Deep fry or bake them at 220 C in oven until golden. Heat oil in a kadai, when the oil is hot fry the soya chunks on a medium heat.
6. Drain them to a kitchen tissue.
How to make soya chunks manchurian
7. Pour 1 tbsp oil and saute garlic until they turn aromatic.
8. Add spring onions or onions. Saute for 2 mins.
9. Next add in the capsicum and saute for another 1 to 2 mins.
10. Pour soya sauce.
11. Add Chili sauce and tomato sauce.
12. Stir in ¾ tsp corn flour in half cup water and dissolve it completely. Pour this to the pan.
13. Keep stirring and add salt, sugar, vinegar as needed.
14. Check the taste and add red chili powder as needed, Add pepper too if desired.
15. Mix and cook until the sauce thickens.
16. Cool the sauce a bit and add the fried soya chunks.
Garnish soya chunks manchurian with spring onions and serve immediately.