Vazhakkai fry recipe – Tamilnadu style simple raw banana stir fry. Raw banana or unripe banana is widely used in Indian cuisine for making stir fry, curry, kofta, bajji and kootu. Raw banana that are used for cooking are different from the variety that’s eaten ripe. They are high in protein and other vital nutrients so I use it often in our diet.
This vazhakkai fry is spiced with sambar powder and red chili powder. I have used this homemade Sambar powder. You can even use ready made one. I have also used red chilli powder which can be skipped to make it moderately spiced.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 large raw banana or vazhakkai
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 tsp urad dal optional
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 red chili broken optional
- 1 pinch asafoetida or hing
- ¾ to 1 tbsp sambar powder (use more if desired)
- ½ tsp red chilli powder (use as needed)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ tsp salt or as needed
How to make the recipe
Preparation for vazhakkai fry
- Wash the raw banana under running water and peel the skin. Cut off the ends and discard.
- Rinse the banana well. Slice them to equal sizes. Do not slice them too thick or too thin.
- Keep them in water until used to prevent browning.
Making vazhakkai fry
- Heat a wide pan with oil.
- Add mustard, cumin, red chili and urad dal.
- When the dal turns slightly golden, add the curry leaves and hing.
- Lower the flame completely and wait until the leaves turn crisp.
- Then add in chili powder, turmeric and sambar powder.
- Mix them well in oil.
- Quickly drain and add in the sliced banana pieces.
- Mix well and fry tossing for two minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 to 2 tbsp of water and mix well.
- Cover and cook on a low to medium heat. Keep stirring them in between.
- Check if the pieces are cooked. If needed add 2 tbsp more water and mix. Continue to cook until the pieces turn tender.
- Sprinkle salt evenly.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of water again for the salt to dissolve and coat the pieces well.
- Cover and cook on a very low flame for 2 mins. If you prefer them crisp then avoid water and keep frying.
- Serve vazhakkai fry with rice, sambar or rasam.
Preparation for Vazhakkai fry recipe
1. Wash the raw bananas and chop off both the ends. Peel the skin completely. High amounts of pesticides are used in the cultivation of bananas, so it is good to peel the skin completely unless you are using home-grown produce.
2. Slice the bananas and add them to a pot of water. Slice them evenly and not too thick or too thin.
Vazhakkai fry – step by step photos
3. Heat a wide pan with oil. Add mustard, cumin, red chilli and urad dal. You can also skip the dal.
4. When the dal turns golden, throw in the curry leaves and sprinkle hing.
5. Lower the flame and add the turmeric, sambar powder and red chili powder.
6. Mix it well.
7. Drain the banana slices and add them here.
8. Mix well and fry for 2 minutes. Then sprinkle 1 to 2 tbsps of water. Mix well.
9. Cover and cook on a very low to medium flame until the banana slices turn tender. If needed sprinkle more water and then stir and cook covered again.
10. Check if the vazhakkai has cooked properly.
11. Sprinkle salt evenly.
12. I sprinkle another tbsp of water since I use pink salt that is coarse. This way the salt dissolves and coats the banana slices well. I also cover and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
Serve vazhakkai fry with rice or variety rice.