vepudu karam – a simple aromatic spice powder for vegetable stir fry and curry recipes. Making good, tasty side dishes for a meal becomes much easier with this spice powder.
This spice powder is aromatic, easy to make and can be used for a variety of vegetable curry or fry recipes like bottle gourd fry, carrot fry, beerakaya fry, dondakaya vepudu, ladies finger fry, snake gourd fry, brinjal fry
Just stir fry the veggie and sprinkle this at the end and you are done. It adds aroma and taste to the dry curry. To make a slightly gravy curry, add little water and bring it to a boil and cook until the veggies are soft cooked.
Vepudu Karam is a simple spice powder that is used for vegetable stir fry recipes at my home. Actually the traditional vepudu karam from Andhra cuisine is a powder made of red chilies, garlic, mustard, cumin seeds and coriander seeds. Sometimes even methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) are added. My version of homemade Vepudu karam is entirely different from what is made using the traditional recipe. My recipe is a mixture of few dals, sesame seeds and few other basic ingredients. It is not suitable for non-veg fry.
vepudu karam with step by step pictures
1. These are the ingredients to use
2. Dry roast dals and chilis first. Off the heat and add coconut, sesame seeds and cumin.
3. Cool them and add to a blender jar with garlic.
4. Make a fine powder and Store it in a air tight glass jar.
vepudu karam recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 tbsp dry coconut
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds (nuvvulu)
- 1 tbsp channa dal (senaga pappu)
- 1 tbsp urad dal (minapa pappu)
- 1 Pinch methi seeds (menthulu)
- 3 to 4 red chilies (adjust)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp flax seeds or
- 1 tbsp Gurellu / Uchellu (niger seeds)
How to make the recipe
- Dry roast one after the other all the ingredients except garlic, till you get a nice aroma. Take care not to burn. Set aside to cool
- Add salt and garlic along with the roasted ingredients to a jar and powder finely.
- Store it in an air tight glass jar and refrigerate for the best aroma
Sesame seeds can be increased to 2 tbsp, if you like the flavor and taste