Dondakaya fry or vepudu recipe – learn to make simple ivy gourd stir fry in andhra style. Ivy gourd is called as dondakaya in telugu, kovakai in tamil, tondekayi in kannada, tindora in gujarati and tendli in marati. It is used to make stir fry, curry and dondakaya pachadi in Andhra cuisine.
To make dondakaya fry, you can slice them or chop them. I used my food processor to chop them and the vepudu gets done quickly since the veggie is chopped to small bites. Just wash and chop off the ends and add them to the food processor and pulse them a couple of times.
I use my vepudu karam to spice up the vepudu, you can just use coconut and sesame powder too. We also use peanuts sometimes, but you can find chopped almonds in my fry (used up the leftovers after making an halwa) . Dondakaya fry can be served with rice and rasam.
Dondakaya fry or vepudu recipe
Dondakaya fry recipe | Dondakaya vepudu recipe | Ivy gourd stir fry recipe
Dondakaya vepudu is a simple stir fried dish made of Ivy gourd. It is known as tendli or tindora in hindi.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 250 grams dondakayalu / ivy gourd (tendli or tindora)
- 1 red chili broken or green chilies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¾ tbsp channa dal / senga pappu (bengal gram)
- ¾ tbsp urad dal / minapapappu (skinned black gram)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 Pinch hing (or asafoetida)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsps Vepudu karam or coconut grated and 1 tsp. sesame seeds powder
- 2 tbsp roasted skinned peanuts (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Soak ivy gourd in a large utensil filled with water.
- Wash them thoroughly under running water.
Drain them in a colander and wipe off with a clean cloth. or Let them dry off completely.
- Chop off the ends.
Slice them thinly vertically or horizontally. If using food processor, just add them and pulse a couple of times. I used food processor.
Heat a pan with oil. Then add mustard, cumin and dals. Allow the dals to fry till golden. Then add curry leaves and hing. Saute till the leaves turn crisp
- Add chopped dondakaya pieces, salt and turmeric.
Stir fry till soft cooked. If needed just simmer the stove, then cover and cook. Stir often to prevent cooking.
Add vepudu karam or coconut, red chili powder, and sesame seeds powder. Then add the peanuts and stir well.
- Fry till you begin to smell the coconut. Off the stove. Serve dondakaya fry with rice.
How to make dondakaya fry
1. I used some fresh coconut and sesame seeds to add towards the end. You can also add any spiced powder or papula podi or this vepudu karam.
2. Blend to a coarse mixture.
3. Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard, cumin , dals, garlic and red chilli. When the dal turns golden, add curry leaves too.
4. Next add in the chopped or sliced dondakaya pieces. Also add in turmeric and salt. I use a food processor to simply the task of slicing the veggies.
5. Next begin to fry on a medium to low flame until soft. Keep stirring often. If needed cover and cook on a low flame.
6. When the veggie turns soft, then add in the coconut. Mix and fry until it smells good.
7. Sprinkle red chilli powder. You can also add in roasted peanuts at this stage.
8. Next fry until the raw smell goes away.
Serve dondakaya fry with rice.