Andhra chicken fry recipe
Andhra chicken fry recipe – A dry chicken recipe popularly known as kodi vepudu or chicken vepudu in Andhra restaurants. In this post I have shared 2 methods to make restaurant style chicken fry. The first one is a stir fry and the other deep fry.
The first one is quite a common dish that is prepared in most Andhra homes. There could be many variations of preparing this dish based on the region. You can find the recipe 2 towards the end of this post.
I have tasted many variety of chicken fry (vepudu) among our friends, extended families and restaurants. But one recipe that won my heart was, a vepudu that’s served in Sankranti Restaurant in Singapore.
We also get to see a chicken fry biryani on their menu, that is unique, rich, hot spicy & delicious. Some of the chicken dishes served there are worth to praise.
After enjoying this dish for years, I had to ask them about how it is actually made. A little here and a little there lead me to this mouth-watering and super addictive hot chicken vepudu.
This Andhra chicken fry recipe is a winner for the simplicity and taste. If you have a crowd for a meal this is super easy to make. There were days when I made 2 kgs of this dish all alone without any help and it tasted the best always.
If you are a biryani lover, you can also try this kodi vepudu biryani made on the same lines.
For more chicken fry recipes, do check
Guntur chicken fry
Garlic chicken fry
KFC style fried chicken
You may also like to check these 70 chicken recipes
Preparation for andhra chicken fry
1. Dry roast spices mentioned for garam masala on a low flame until aromatic. Cool completely and make a fine powder in a blender. you can skip this if you want to use a ready masala powder.
2. Powder cashews finely in a blender. Set aside in a plate. coarsely crush onion in a blender.
3. Marinate with coarsely crushed onion, ghee, red chili powder, salt, turmeric , lemon juice, ginger garlic paste, garam masala powder, 2 tbsps. water.keep it aside for 15 minutes.
4. Cook it till soft and tender in a low to medium flame, if needed you can add few tbsps. of water while cooking if the chicken doesn’t release enough moisture. When the chicken is cooked well, off the stove.
If you have enough time, you can set this aside for sometime before you temper.
How to make andhra chicken fry recipe (kodi vepudu)
5. Pour oil to a wide pan and heat. Then add sliced chilies and curry leaves fry till leaves turn crisp.
6. Add chicken along with the left over water if any and begin to cook till all the water evaporates .
7. Sprinkle cashew powder and pepper powder evenly all over. continue to fry till you get a nice aroma of the masala and cashews. takes about 3 to 4 minutes.Chicken must look dry with all the masala coated over it.
Enjoy chicken fry or chicken vepudu with rice, tomato rasam and onion raita. You can even enjoy this as a starter. This can also be used to layer in a spicy biryani and make a chicken fry biryani which i shared it recently.
Recipe 2 – chicken fry
Chicken fry recipe with video. Making this crisp fried chicken snack is very very simple and quick. These are good to make anytime and is absolutely a winner when you have friends or guests home. I am sure you will be left with many appreciations.
There are so many ways a chicken fry is made but this one is the simplest made with basic ingredients. This chicken fry recipe yields chicken bites that are crisp from outside and soft and juicy inside.
There is no egg used in this recipe. Curd tenderizes the chicken, keeps it juicy and prevents it from turning hard. This chicken fry is best served hot but keeps crisp for about 30 minutes. You can also prepare them ahead and crisp them in an electric oven.
200 Grams chicken (boneless cubes)
¾ tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp red chilli powder
¾ to 1 tsp garam masala
½ to 1 tsp coriander powder
¼ to ½ tsp pepper powder
10 curry leaves (chopped or replace with any herbs)
¼ to ½ tsp salt (i used 1/2 tsp)
2 tbsp yogurt (thick curd or dahi)
3 tbsp corn flour (corn starch)
oil for deep frying
- Add chicken cubes to a mixing bowl. I cubed them to one by one inch size.
- Add garlic ginger paste, garam masala, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, pepper powder,curd and curry leaves. You can substitute curry leaves with any of your favorite herbs like mint.
- Add corn flour. To substitute corn flour you can try with rice flour and plain flour in equal quantities.
- Mix everything well.
- Cover and rest for 2 hours. I usually put for 1 hour in the fridge and 1 hour at room temperature. You can also rest it overnight in fridge.
How to make crispy chicken fry
- After the resting time, the marinade turns very thick as the corn starch absorbs moisture. If needed you can sprinkle 1 tbsp water and mix it well. Do not add a lot otherwise the chicken will not be crispy.
- Heat oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot, check by dropping a little amount of the batter to the oil. It has to rise and not sink.
- Drop chicken cubes one by one with a spoon or fork. Make sure the pieces are coated well with batter.
- The oil will bubble up a lot. Fry on a medium heat. Do not disturb the pieces for 1 minute else the batter may come off the chicken.
- Keep stirring and fry until golden and crisp. When the chicken is cooked completely you will see that the bubbles in the oil reduce.
- Remove them to a kitchen tissue.
- Serve chicken fry with fresh cut onion and lemon slices.
Andhra chicken fry recipe, restaurant style kodi vepudu
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 to 2 tbsp oil
- 1 to 2 sprig curry leaves
- 2 to 3 green chilies slit or chopped
- ½ tsp pepper powder (adjust as desired)
- 12 cashew nuts powdered finely
Marination for chicken fry
- ½ kg chicken (bone-in or boneless)
- 1 ½ tbsps Lemon juice
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 large onion (or 2 medium, coarsely pulsed in mixer)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ghee solid (use 2 tbsp if melted)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped finely
Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsps Coriander seeds or daniya
- 2 inch Cinnamon or dalchini
- 8 Cloves or laung
- 4 green cardamom or elachi
- ½ tsp Jeera or cumin
- ¼ tsp Fennel seeds or saunf (optional)
Preparation for andhra chicken fry
- Dry roast the ingredients mentioned for garam masala on a low flame until aromatic. Cool and make a fine powder.
- Marinate the chicken with ingredients mentioned under marination along with 2 tbsps. water and garam masala. Set aside for 15 mins.
- On a low flame, cook the chicken till it is soft cooked and tender. Little water can be added while cooking if the chicken turns dry. Once cooked, set aside for sometime. This gives the best taste to the chicken fry.
How to make andhra chicken fry
- Heat oil in a pan, add curry leaves and green chilies.
- Fry till the leaves turn crisp and aromatic.
- Add the cooked chicken along with the stock.
- Fry on a high flame till all the gravy is absorbed by the chicken.
- Add the cashew powder and pepper powder.
- Keep stirring well and fry for 3 to 4 mins or till you get a nice aroma of cashews.The gravy should dry up with masala coated over the chicken.
- Garnish chicken fry with fresh chopped coriander leaves.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
Video of crispy chicken fry recipe
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Your receipe for Andhra Chicken Fry was just awesome… today after very long time had a sumptous meal… all my family members too very happy with the result as it was just out of the world….. only small change i made was that i put cashew powder during the marinating process and all in all it was beautiful…. Thank you for the receipt… next sunday will sure try another one and it had re-ignited cookery passion in me once again after very long time.
Hi Sridhar garu,
Glad your family liked the dish. Thank you so much for sharing how it turned out for you. Hope you enjoy more recipes from here.
Hi, why did you change your guntur chicken recipe? It was the Holy Grail recipe. Please bring it back. And i am sure i m not the only who is missing it.
Thank you!. I will try to add it here in the same post
Alternative for cashew ?
Grind 3 tbsps of fresh coconut & use.
Your recipe is so amazing …..
Very tasty I tried some recipes they were nice 👌
Glad to know Harshita
Very easy to follow recipes and tasty too. Thank you
Looks yummy! Love this recipe and your detailed step-by-step photos.
Can I use Fish Fry Masala or Chicken Masala inplace of Garam Masala that u have suggested?
Yes you can use chicken masala in place of garam masala. It can be used for any dish but you need to add more or less depending on the brand.
Excellent collage of mouthwatering recepies. Well explained. I tried few. Awesome. Thanks Swasthy.
Glad to know
Simple easy and very tasty also.
Love your recipes! Simple and easy to follow. Great taste too
Nice recipe madam.
Can the readymade Garam masala from shop be used?
Yes you can use 1 to 1½ tsp readymade masala. Towards the end taste test and add more if needed.
Thanks for your immediate reply. I just finished the dish.
I have to say that this is one of the best chicken dishes I have ever eaten.
Although slightly spicy, since this is Andhra cuisine, it was amazing.
thank you for your recipe.
best wishes to you and your family.
Well detailed recipe. Made it, ate it, loved it. Perfect.
Glad to know! Thank you
I love all your recipes!! I recently got married and never learnt cooking!! But your recipes and the way you explain makes it fun and easy and my husband loves the food ?!!
This is my favourite recipe and I have sent it to all my friends to try. Also I want to thank you. I remember I was using the wrong quantity of onion and I sent you a picture on Facebook and you instantly replied!!
Also my mother used to always say learn cooking learn cooking but I never did. The other day I sent her this recipe and told her to try it!! My parents loved it infact my dad called me saying how proud he was and thanked me for giving mom a new chicken recipe as he was bored of my moms chicken recipes. ?
I owe it all to you! Thank you! And keep your passion alive! Your an amazing cook!
Thank you so much for this lovely note! I enjoyed reading it! Glad to know the recipes are helping. Thanks again. Hope you enjoy many more recipes from here.
Lovely recipe. Everyone loved it. Thank you:)
You are a genius swasthi!the recipe is amazing! everyone loved and it’s so easy to make! thank you so much ☺️?every time I am confused about what to make quickly and at the same time equally tasty i read your recipes☺️ and I am never disappointed!
You are welcome! Thank you so much! Glad your food turns out good. Thanks again
I love your recipes esp dry aalo gobhi but this one looks like written in a hurry.
recipe one says cook chicken.
Cook with what ? Oil ? Water? Or dry roast ?
Also steps say add stock.
Obviously is chicken stock but not mentioned in ingredients list.
Thank you! Here you don’t need oil or water to cook chicken since ghee is added. Next about chicken stock – it is the moisture that is released from the chicken after cooking. Hope this helps
Hi Swathi, thanks for recipe. I cannot believe we can make such a delicious chicken fry with simple ingredients until I have done myself.
Glad you liked it. Thanks for the comment.
Amazing, came out perfect the first time and I’m stuck on this for over two years now. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.
Glad you liked it. Thank you so much!
I did this today for my husband!! He said it was finger licking good ?? thank you so much for the recipe!! Bookmarking this forever!
Glad your husband liked it. Thank you so much!