Chicken fry biryani | Andhra style kodi vepudu biryani
Chicken fry biryani recipe – one of the unique & delicious biryani made in andhra restaurant style. Hot & spicy tender chicken is layered in a unique flavored dum cooked biryani. To make this special biryani, chicken fry or vepudu is prepared separately and then layered with already dum cooked plain but spicy biryani. One can find this delicious dish in few Andhra restaurants in Singapore.
The first part of this recipe, i.e making chicken fry or vepudu is already on the blog but to serve it with plain rice. I am sharing in detail here how to make it for this chicken fry biryani. Chicken is stir fried here and not deep fried.
There is a bit of preparation work for this recipe, but the results are worth as good as the Hyderabadi chicken biryani. You will fall in love with this biryani, if you like the typical Hot & Spicy Andhra food.
If you are a beginner then you can check this simple Chicken biryani made in cooker.
Preparation for chicken fry biryani
1. Firstly, powder 2 tbsp coriander seeds, half tsp cumin, 4 green cardamoms, 2 one inch cinnamon sticks, 4 to 6 cloves and ¼ tsp saunf to a fine powder. Set this aside. You can also use a good ready made masala powder.
2. To the same jar, add 12 to 15 cashews and make a fine powder. Set this aside as well separately. There is no substitute to this.
3. Pulse 1 heaped cup cubed onions in a blender to a coarse texture. (not a smooth paste). Set this aside.
4. Add washed and drained chicken to a pot along with ¼ tsp salt, red chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric, 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic & garam masala (from step 1),
5. Add 1 tbsp ghee, onion paste from step 2 and 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice.
6. Mix everything well and begin to cook on a low to medium heat until soft and tender.
7. Once completely cooked switch off the stove. Chicken should be very tender and break up easily. I check with a fork. Set this aside.
8. Heat a pan with oil and saute cinnamon, clove and cardamom.
9. Add the cooked chicken and then the cashew powder from step 2.
10. Mix well and fry until the moisture evaporates completely and the masala clings on to the chicken. You must get a nice aroma of the masala. We are done with the chicken fry. Set this aside.
Wash and soak rice for about 30 mins. Drain it in a colander.
11. Add onions, ginger, garlic, ½ cup pudina (mint), ½ cup coriander leaves and green chili to a blender jar. Pudina and coriander leaves to be measured loosely, do not alter the quantity as it may alter the color & flavor.
12. Make a fine paste. Set aside.
Making chicken fry biryani
13. Heat oil in a pot with 2.5 tbsp. oil. Add bay leaf, star anise, 1 strand mace, 1 small cinnamon stick, 3 green cardamoms, 4 cloves and ¾ tsp shahi jeera. Do not reduce the amount.
14. When shahi jeera begins to crackle, then add the green paste. Fry this well until the raw smell goes off. This takes about 3 to 4 mins, by then the oil begins to separate.
15. Add curd, biryani masala, coriander powder (optional), red chili powder, turmeric and salt.
16. Stir everything well and cook until the oil separates.
17. Pour water, check the salt and bring to a boil.
18. When the water comes to a rapid boil, Add drained rice.
19. Mix and cook on a medium heat until the water is almost absorbed but thick gravy like moisture is still over the rice. There should be still moisture in the pot.
20. At this stage lower the flame completely and seal it with a foil or a moist thick kitchen cloth. Place a tight lid. Move this over to a hot tawa and reduce the flame to low. Dum cook for 12 to 13 mins. Once you switch off the stove, leave it undisturbed for about 10 to 15 mins.
21. Dum cooked fragrant plain biryani is ready.
Layering chicken fry biryani
22. In a large bowl, layer half of the rice.
23. Next layer the chicken fry.
Repeat layering the biryani rice. Then another layer of chicken. Top up with little more rice.
There is no garnishing done for this chicken fry biryani. If desired can add some mint and coriander leaves. This is served with onion raita and a special salan. Will share the salan recipe soon. This simple shorba / sherva too goes well.
chicken fry biryani recipe
chicken fry biryani
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for chicken fry
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 green chilies optional
- 1 cinnamon small
- 2 cloves
- 1 green cardamom
- 12 to 15 cashews or 2.5 tbsp powder
- ½ kg chicken with bone or boneless
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsps lemon juice
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ to 1 tbsp red chili powder (kashmiri , adjust as needed)
- 2 onions large , or 1 heaped cup cubed (coarsely crushed)
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ghee solid
- Salt to taste
Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsps Coriander
- 2 inch Cinnamon stick thin
- 6 to 8 Cloves
- 4 green cardamom / elachi
- ½ tsp cumin / Jeera / jeelakara
- ¼ tsp Fennel seeds / saunf (optional)
Ingredients for biryani
- 2 cups rice
- 3.5 cups water or stock
- 2 to 3 tbsp Oil
- Salt as needed
- Turmeric as needed little only
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp biryani masala powder (any ready made will do)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ cup curd fresh, / yogurt (do not use very sour one)
- 2 onion medium , (1 cup sliced)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 inch Ginger or ginger garlic paste 1.5 tsp
- 1 green chili
- ½ cup pudina / mint (loosely measured)
- ½ cup coriander (loosely measured)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 1 strand mace
- ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 3 green cardamoms
- 4 cloves
Making chicken fry
- Marinate the chicken with ingredients mentioned under marination.
- On a low flame, cook the chicken till it is soft cooked and tender. 2 tbsp water can be sprinkled if the chicken turns dry while cooking.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the cooked chicken & cashew powder. Fry until the moisture evaporates and the masala sticks on to the chicken. Keep this aside.
- Saute bay leaf, 3 green cardamoms, 4 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon stick, star anise, ½ to ¾ tsp shahi jeera in oil.
- Add the ground paste and saute until the raw smell goes off.
- Add curd, biryani masala, turmeric, coriander powder, red chili powder and saute until oil begins to seperate.
- Pour water and adjust salt as needed by tasting it.
- Add rice to it and cook on a medium heat until the rice is 90% cooked. Rice is till soggy.
- Lower the flame completely, Seal the pot with a foil or a moist thick kitchen cloth.
- Dum it on a hot tawa for 12 to 13 mins. If you have a induction cook top, then you can cook on number 2 to 3 for 15 mins.
- Allow to rest for 10 to 15 mins.
Layering chicken fry biryani
- Transfer half of the rice to a serving bowl.
- Layer half of the chicken fry over the rice.
- Repeat the layering alternately with rice and chicken once more.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with raita and salan.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
HI Mam .I am going to try this recipe tommorow … ie 17 sep 2022. pl let me know if the measurement cup you are referring in the recipe is 240 ml cup. for eg rice… do i use a 240 ml cup. Pl guide me..
I guess I am late. Yes I use a 240 ml cup. 1 teaspoon is 5 ML and 1 tablespoon is 15 ML. Hope you enjoy the dish.
Delicious and easy recipe….whole family loved it ….thank you so much swasthi
Glad to know Sunadha
Hey,, tried this recipe and came out good..i dint used chilly powder in rice masala.. An easy biriyani recipe which does not harm ur stomach. 🙂 thank you
Glad to know Saranya
Yes you are right! This one is lighter on the tummy.
Thanks for leaving a comment
It’s a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing with such beautiful pics and great tips.
Can I do the same with mushrooms? With the mushrooms giving out water while cooking I’m not sure if it will work. Please guide me on this.
I don’t suggest marinating mushrooms unless they are going to be grilled. You can try this with soya chunks.
Thanks for the instant reply. Will definitely try it ASAP.
Excellent but what curry to serve with please tell me
You can take a look at this Shorba/ sherva. A simple raita will also be good enough.
If I am making the receipe for 8 people, do I double the ingredients mentioned for grinding ? Please reply.
Yes you have to double them
Amazing recipe!!! Followed step by step process as mentioned and it came so well. Thank you!
You are welcome. Glad you liked it. Thank you!
Can you please share recipe for Natukodi (Country Chicken) Biryani?
I have not made a recipe yet for natukodi biryani. I will try.
I have not made a recipe yet for natukodi biryani. I will try.
Excellent guide to a perfect recipe. Worked out very well for me, despite my first attempt on biryani…Thanks a lot…
Thanks for trying. Glad to know the biryani turned out good.
our recipes look fab, I read the post on biryanu rice, such handy tips to know will try out. Keep recipes coming in . im gonna somehow save u.
Glad to know you. Thanks for the wishes. Yes I will keep posting.
Super duper recipe, now I am always using this recipe.
So glad to know you liked it.
hello ma’am I really like your recipes and surfing your blog your recipes are mindblowing may god give u and ur family health and happiness.
So glad to know you like the blog. Thanks a lot for the wishes
….. awessssome i love this recipes thank u for ur recipes
welcome Shanti. Glad to know you like this
I like the way of preparing the chicken biryani .
Hi Ma’am, I tried u r chicken fry andhra style..it came out very tasty..can u plz tell me what is biryani masala…in this chicken fry biryani..u mentioned about biryani masala ..but there is no ingredients list for biryani masala. thank u in advance.
Glad to know the chicken fry came out nice. I have linked the recipe of biryani masala in the recipe card/ box. You can find it there. You can also use any readymade biryani masala. Hope this helps
do u have a recipe for the biryani masala u use?
You can find the link to biryani masala recipe in the recipe card in the ingredients list.
Wow. I’m gonna make this for sure and revert.bookmarked. Thxs