Andhra chicken fry recipe – A dry chicken recipe popularly known as kodi vepudu or chicken vepudu in Andhra restaurants. In this post I have shared 2 methods to make restaurant style chicken fry. The first one is a stir fry and the other deep fry.
The first one is quite a common dish that is prepared in most Andhra homes. There could be many variations of preparing this dish based on the region. You can find the recipe 2 towards the end of this post.
I have tasted many variety of chicken fry (vepudu) among our friends, extended families and restaurants. But one recipe that won my heart was, a vepudu that’s served in Sankranti Restaurant in Singapore.
We also get to see a chicken fry biryani on their menu, that is unique, rich, hot spicy & delicious. Some of the chicken dishes served there are worth to praise.
After enjoying this dish for years, I had to ask them about how it is actually made. A little here and a little there lead me to this mouth-watering and super addictive hot chicken vepudu.
Preparation for andhra chicken fry
1. Dry roast spices mentioned for garam masala on a low flame until aromatic. Cool completely and make a fine powder in a blender. you can skip this if you want to use a ready masala powder.
2. Powder cashews finely in a blender. Set aside in a plate. coarsely crush onion in a blender.
3. Marinate with coarsely crushed onion, ghee, red chili powder, salt, turmeric , lemon juice, ginger garlic paste, garam masala powder, 2 tbsps. water.keep it aside for 15 minutes.
4. Cook it till soft and tender in a low to medium flame, if needed you can add few tbsps. of water while cooking if the chicken doesn’t release enough moisture. When the chicken is cooked well, off the stove.
If you have enough time, you can set this aside for sometime before you temper.
How to make andhra chicken fry recipe (kodi vepudu)
5. Pour oil to a wide pan and heat. Then add sliced chilies and curry leaves fry till leaves turn crisp.
6. Add chicken along with the left over water if any and begin to cook till all the water evaporates .
7. Sprinkle cashew powder and pepper powder evenly all over. continue to fry till you get a nice aroma of the masala and cashews. takes about 3 to 4 minutes.Chicken must look dry with all the masala coated over it.
Enjoy chicken fry or chicken vepudu with rice, tomato rasam and onion raita. You can even enjoy this as a starter. This can also be used to layer in a spicy biryani and make a chicken fry biryani which i shared it recently.
This Andhra chicken fry recipe is a winner for the simplicity and taste. If you have a crowd for a meal this is super easy to make. There were days when I made 2 kgs of this dish all alone without any help and it tasted the best always.
If you are a biryani lover, you can also try this kodi vepudu biryani made on the same lines.
You may also like to check these 70 chicken recipes
Andhra chicken fry recipe, restaurant style kodi vepudu
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 to 2 tbsp oil
- 1 to 2 sprig curry leaves
- 2 to 3 green chilies slit or chopped
- ½ tsp pepper powder (adjust as desired)
- 12 cashew nuts powdered finely
Marination for chicken fry
Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsps Coriander seeds or daniya
- 2 inch Cinnamon or dalchini
- 8 Cloves or laung
- 4 green cardamom or elachi
- ½ tsp Jeera or cumin
- ¼ tsp Fennel seeds or saunf (optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for andhra chicken fry
- Dry roast the ingredients mentioned for garam masala on a low flame until aromatic. Cool and make a fine powder.
- Marinate the chicken with ingredients mentioned under marination along with 2 tbsps. water and garam masala. Set aside for 15 mins.
- On a low flame, cook the chicken till it is soft cooked and tender. Little water can be added while cooking if the chicken turns dry. Once cooked, set aside for sometime. This gives the best taste to the chicken fry.
How to make andhra chicken fry
- Heat oil in a pan, add curry leaves and green chilies.
- Fry till the leaves turn crisp and aromatic.
- Add the cooked chicken along with the stock.
- Fry on a high flame till all the gravy is absorbed by the chicken.
- Add the cashew powder and pepper powder.
- Keep stirring well and fry for 3 to 4 mins or till you get a nice aroma of cashews.The gravy should dry up with masala coated over the chicken.
- Garnish chicken fry with fresh chopped coriander leaves.
Video of crispy chicken fry recipe
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
Recipe 2 – chicken fry
Chicken fry recipe with video. Making this crisp fried chicken snack is very very simple and quick. These are good to make anytime and is absolutely a winner when you have friends or guests home. I am sure you will be left with many appreciations.
There are so many ways a chicken fry is made but this one is the simplest made with basic ingredients. This chicken fry recipe yields chicken bites that are crisp from outside and soft and juicy inside.
There is no egg used in this recipe. Curd tenderizes the chicken, keeps it juicy and prevents it from turning hard. This chicken fry is best served hot but keeps crisp for about 30 minutes. You can also prepare them ahead and crisp them in an electric oven.
200 Grams chicken (boneless cubes)
¾ tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp red chilli powder
¾ to 1 tsp garam masala
½ to 1 tsp coriander powder
¼ to ½ tsp pepper powder
10 curry leaves (chopped or replace with any herbs)
¼ to ½ tsp salt (i used 1/2 tsp)
2 tbsp yogurt (thick curd or dahi)
3 tbsp corn flour (corn starch)
oil for deep frying
- Add chicken cubes to a mixing bowl. I cubed them to one by one inch size.
- Add garlic ginger paste, garam masala, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, pepper powder,curd and curry leaves. You can substitute curry leaves with any of your favorite herbs like mint.
- Add corn flour. To substitute corn flour you can try with rice flour and plain flour in equal quantities.
- Mix everything well.
- Cover and rest for 2 hours. I usually put for 1 hour in the fridge and 1 hour at room temperature. You can also rest it overnight in fridge.
How to make crispy chicken fry
- After the resting time, the marinade turns very thick as the corn starch absorbs moisture. If needed you can sprinkle 1 tbsp water and mix it well. Do not add a lot otherwise the chicken will not be crispy.
- Heat oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot, check by dropping a little amount of the batter to the oil. It has to rise and not sink.
- Drop chicken cubes one by one with a spoon or fork. Make sure the pieces are coated well with batter.
- The oil will bubble up a lot. Fry on a medium heat. Do not disturb the pieces for 1 minute else the batter may come off the chicken.
- Keep stirring and fry until golden and crisp. When the chicken is cooked completely you will see that the bubbles in the oil reduce.
- Remove them to a kitchen tissue.
- Serve chicken fry with fresh cut onion and lemon slices.