Apple rice recipe for babies & toddlers. This is one of the foods that can be served to a baby or toddler during cold and congestion. When babies have cold and nasal congestion, most of us do not know what to feed as the options are limited. Some foods may make the congestion worse leaving the baby restless and sleepless.
It is always good to serve foods that are light to digest like this apple rice. I did share this recipe with few readers earlier and got to know their babies loved it very much. So thought of making this post so that it can reach many of you.
If you are new to this blog, you may like to check this collection of baby toddler foods.
My younger kid is down with a flu for the past few days, i made this apple rice for him. Very simple to make, there are few variations one can adapt to make this. It can be made to a porridge consistency or to a thicker khichdi like texture.
To make this i have used basmathi white rice, but you can use basmathi brown rice or any other kind of rice. If using brown rice, soak it at least for 2 hours or more. Use in combination with white rice in equal proportions. If you have this dry rice cereal which i shared earlier, then you can also use that instead of rice. It turns out more tastier than the one made with cooked rice.
Please note that brown rice may aggravate cough in some babies, so do not use it unless soaked well for at least 2 hours.
Showing the tiny steel glass/cup in the picture which i have been telling many of you to try for feeding water and milk. It is just a stain less steel glass/cup that measures 90 ml with rounded edges, meaning not sharp so can try it even for a 8 months old safely. My mum had bought half a dozen of these from bangalore when my elder son was 6 months. Since it is a small one, tiny hands can very well hold them. You will need to help to hold it until the baby can do it well. I had started feeding water, clear soups in these cups from 6 months for my elder one and at around 8 months for my younger one. In about 6 weeks they were successfully drinking from the glass/cup. Though they mess up, the benefits are many. No use of teats, plastic material, easy cleaning etc. Teaching them to drink from cups at a early age is easier than when they grow older. You can also feed milk in these cups if your baby is formula fed. Hope this helps some of you who really want to avoid plastic sippy cups or teats for your baby.
Back to the recipe, for flavoring the rice you can use one of the following. Except cumin, other powders may constipate the baby. So use with caution, use only a pinch and feed luke warm water often several times a day to keep the baby hydrated.
cumin powder / jeera
organic turmeric/ haldi
ajwain/ vaamu/carom seeds powder
ceylon cinnamon/ dalchini
This recipe yields double the quantity you see in the picture. I have used minced organic apple and partially cooked since my kid loves the apple chunks.
apple rice baby food recipe
Apple rice recipe for babies & toddlers | Apple rice porridge
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 tbsp rice
- 1 cup water (may need 1/4 cup more)
- 1 apple medium , pureed or grated or minced, sweet
- ghee few drops
- Sweetener or salt very little (avoid for babies under 1 year, optional)
How to make the recipe
Method 1 using rice
- Wash rice and soak for at least 30 minutes. If using brown rice, soak for at least 2 hours. You can soak up to overnight for health benefits.
- Pressure cook rice with water on a medium flame for 1 to 2 whistles.
- When the pressure goes off, open the lid and mash the rice.
- If using grated or minced apple, add them and stir. check if water is sufficient, else add more. Cover and pressure cook for another whistle. If using apple puree, add it and stir. you don’t need to pressure cook any longer.
- When the pressure goes off, mash every thing well. Add salt if using and flavoring powder.
- Serve warm
method 2- if using dry rice cereal
- Cook 2 tbsp rice cereal(from this blog) in 1 cup water until it thickens. Off the stove.
- Add the apple puree and stir.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.