Beetroot rice recipe – Healthy and delicious rice made with beetroot, peas, spices & herbs in a pulao style. This quick and easy one pot meal is mildly flavored with pulao spices and pudina . An addition of potato & peas balances the taste and flavor of beets in the pulao. But can be skipped.
A raita goes well with this. But for the kids’ lunch box, i pack this with a simple corn carrot salad which i have shared at the end of the post.
Since this beetroot pulao doesn’t have the strong flavor of beets, it will be liked by most kids.
Beetroot rice recipe | Beetroot pulao recipe | Beetroot recipe for kids
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3.5 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil or as needed
- 1 small onion sliced optional
- 2 green chilies (slit) or ½ tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 medium beetroot (1 cup chopped or cubed small)
- ½ to ¾ cup potato (optional)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp mint leaves or pudina (optional)
- salt as needed
Spices for beetroot rice
- 1 small bay leaf or tej patta
- ½ to ¾ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 small star anise (optional)
- 1 inch cinnamon or dalchini
- 6 cloves or laung
- 2 cardamoms or elaichi
- 1 strand mace or javithri (optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for beetroot rice
- Wash rice a few times until the water runs clear. Soak it for at least 30 minutes.
- Pour ghee or oil to a pressure cooker or pot.
- Saute bay leaf, cumin, star anise, cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms in hot oil.
- Then fry the chill and onions till golden stirring often.
- Fry ginger garlic paste until the raw smell vanishes.
How to make beetroot rcie
- Add beetroot, potato and green peas. Then fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour water and add enough salt.
- When the water begins to boil, add drained rice and cook until done.
- Towards the end when the water is almost evaporated, cover and cook until done.
- If cooking in a pressure cooker – when the water is almost evaporated, cover with the lid and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Switch off before the cooker whistles. or you can cook for 1 whistle on a medium high flame.
- Fluff up the beetroot rice gently and serve with a raita .
Preparation for beetroot rice recipe
1. Wash and soak rice for about 20 minutes. Chop the veggies to small cubes and keep them ready. Large cubes don’t go well with this rice.
Heat oil in a pressure cooker or pot, saute bay leaf, jeera or shahi jeera, cinnamon, mace, cloves and cardamoms until they begin to sizzle. I also like to add star anise or star flower too. If you like you can use it.
2. Fry onions and chilies until lightly golden. For kids you can deseed chili and use or substitute with red chili powder. If using red chili, use along with veggies later.
3. Add garlic ginger paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
Making beetroot rice or beetroot pulao
4. Add chopped potatoes, beetroot and peas. I also like to add few coriander and mint leaves. If using chili powder, you can use now. Add turmeric as well, i added to the ginger garlic, so did not use here.
5. Fry everything well for 2 minutes.
6. Pour water and add salt. Stir and check the salt. Water should be slightly salty.
7. Add soaked and drained rice.
8. Cook on a medium heat until the water is almost evaporated but still soggy. Cover the lid and simmer to the lowest flame. Cook until done. If cooking in pressure cooker, cover at this stage (refer the picture). Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on a low flame. Switch off before the cooker whistles if using basmathi rice. For normal rice, you can allow to whistle once.
9. When the pressure goes off. Fluff up the rice. Beets get settled at the bottom of the pot. Pulao was yellow due to the addition of turmeric.
When fluffed up and mixed, the color of beets spreads to the rice. Beetroot rice can be served with a simple raita.
For the kids’ lunch box, i usually pack a vegetable side like a salad or a dry curry with this pulao. This time it was the corn carrot salad. To make the salad, I cooked corn lightly and set aside to cool. Added the grated carrots, coriander leaves, pepper powder and olive oil. Tossed everything well. My kid sprinkles salt just before eating.