Beetroot curry recipe – Beetroot is one of those super foods that can do wonders to our body by boosting immunity, lowering blood pressure, improving digestion and providing us lot of essential minerals and Vitamins. Beetroot can be used to make a variety of dishes like salads, curry, stir fry, kurma, kootu, juice, chutney and can also be added to parathas.
The recipe shared here is one of the most easiest beetroot recipes that can be made in minutes. You can either grate the beetroot or cube it.
Beetroot is a vegetable which doesn’t need to be cooked for long time. Cooking for short time also helps to preserve the nutrients and the sweet flavor.
This beetroot curry goes well as a side in a Indian meal or just with rice and chapati. Since it is quick to make you can also make this for the kids’ or office lunch box.
Preparation for beetroot curry recipe
If you live in a place where you are accessible to fresh beets with greens or leaves, You can include them as well in these recipes. You will need to pluck the leaves and wash them in ample amount of water. Drain well and chop finely just before cooking. Alternately you can alo use your food processor to chop the greens.
1. You can skip this step if you are short of time. I usually dry roast the chana dal, urad dal until golden. Then add sesame seeds. When they splutter transfer to a plate and cool. Then powder it.
2. Wash beetroot well and peel them. Cut them to quarters. Grate or chop finely which ever is comfortable. You can also use a food processor.
How to make beetroot curry recipe
This was another time I made the beetroot recipe without onion. I grated the beets and used here.
3. Heat oil or ghee in a pan. Add mustard, cumin , allow them to crackle, Add ginger, green chilies and curry leaves , fry till ginger smells good. Add dals, red chili and garlic clove. Fry until the dals are golden fried. Add hing.
4. If using onions, then saute it well until transparent. Add grated beets, turmeric and fry till they are lightly cooked. If your beets are not juicy and are dry, you can cover and cook on a low flame.
5. Sprinkle salt and roasted dal powder from step 1. Saute for 2 minutes. Then add grated coconut and mix well.
Serve beetroot stir fry with rice or chapathi.
Beetroot curry recipe
Beetroot curry recipe | How to make beetroot curry | Beetroot recipes
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 medium onion chopped finely (optional)
- 2 cups beetroot cubed small or grated (2 medium size)
- 4 tbsp coconut Grated or pulsed in mixer
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- salt as needed
- 1½ tbsp ghee or oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Pinch asafoetida hing
- 1 tsp ginger or 1 garlic cloves or both
- 1 tbsp black gram skinned or urad dal
- 1 tbsp bengal gram or chana dal
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- ¼ tsp mustard
- 2 green chili chopped or slit
- 1 red chili broken – optional
To roast and powder (optional, adds flavor)
- 1 tbsp bengal gram or chana dal
- 1 tbsp skinned black gram or urad dal
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Optional but adds a lot of aroma to the dish – dry roast chana dal and urad dal until deep golden. Then add sesame seeds. When they splutter, remove and cool. Powder them. Set aside.
- Wash and peel beetroots, cube to tiny pieces.
Making beetroot curry recipe
- Pour oil to a pan and heat it.
- Add cumin, mustard and dals,. When the dals turn golden, add garlic, chili, curry leaves and hing.
- Onions are optional, if using add it now and fry till transparent.
- Add the beetroots and saute for a minute. Cook covered on a low flame until soft and tender. It just takes few minutes.
- Add turmeric, powdered dals from step 1 and salt. Mix and fry for a minute or two until the mixture turns aromatic. Then add coconut and mix.
- Beetroot curry is ready to serve with rice or roti.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes