Beetroot halwa recipe – This beetroot halwa is one of the best summer desserts when served chilled. Creamy, delicious and a filling dessert that can even be served to toddlers or kids after school and is quite filling.
Halva or halwa is a sweet or dessert, mostly made using flour, semolina, lentils, nuts or grated veggies like carrot, pumpkin, gourd. Carrot halwa, bottle gourd halwa, moong dal halwa, kasi halwa, pumpkin halwa are some of the commonly made Indian foods. A halwa can be prepared with milk or without milk. To give a rich taste, even condensed milk can be used.
To make this beetroot halwa I have used full fat milk. Boiled it on a low flame to thicken a bit to bring a rich taste. Then added to the beetroot. This way the beetroot is also not over cooked.
However you can also make beetroot halwa without milk or it can also be made using almond milk or any other vegan milk.
Find beetroot halwa recipe below
Beetroot halwa recipe | How to make beetroot halwa recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 2 cups beetroot grated
- 3 tbsp organic sugar
- 1/4 tsp green cardamom powder / elaichi
- 1 cup milk (full fat) or any vegan milk
- 1 tsp ghee
- cashews few, broken
How to make the recipe
- Wash beetroots under running water. Peel the skin and grate them. A food processor eases the job of grating.
- Bring milk to a boil. Stir and lower the flame for the milk to boil further till it thickens a bit.
- Heat a pan with ghee, add nuts. Fry until the cashews turn golden. Set these aside.
- To the same pan, add beetroot and fry until it turns aromatic for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the thickened milk and cook till the milk is absorbed completely. By then the beetroot also gets cooked soft.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder. Stir. Ensure that beetroot is cooked before adding sugar.Sugar melts and moisture is released.
- Cook till the moisture evaporates. If you prefer a dry halwa, continue to cook further.
- Transfer beetroot halwa to serving bowls and garnish with nuts. Best served chilled during summers and warm during winters.