Beetroot thoran recipe with video – Simple and delicious kerala style beetroot stir fry recipe. Thoran is a coconut based simple stir fry dish from kerala cuisine that can be made with most vegetables like beetroot, carrot, beans, cabbage, raw banana and unripe jack fruit. It is served with plain steamed rice and is a common dish on the Sadya menu.
I made this beetroot thoran sometime ago to go as a side with rice and sambar. You can also serve it with chapathi / roti or curd rice.
Beetroot thoran recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 250 grams beetroot grated or chopped finely
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ tsp mustard
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ cup onions or shallots finely chopped (you can reduce to 2 tbsps)
- Salt as needed
- 2 to 3 pinches turmeric
To blend coarsely
- ¼ cup coconut grated, fresh
- 1 to 2 green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves (medium)
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
How to make the recipe
- Wash beetroot thoroughly and grate it or chop very finely. If you have a food processor you can use it.
- Add coconut, garlic, green chili and cumin to a blender jar and blend it coarsely.
- Heat a pan with oil and add mustard.
- When they begin to crackle, add curry leaves.
- Saute for few seconds and add chopped onions.
- Fry until they turn pink or transparent.
- Add grated beetroot.
- Sprinkle salt and begin to stir fry for 1 to 2 mins.
- Cover and cook until tender on a low heat.
- If the beetroot is not tender, you may sprinkle little water and cook.
- Add the coconut, garlic mixture and mix well.
- Saute for 2 mins on a medium to low flame.
- Serve beetroot thoran with steamed rice or chapati.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips.