Tomato rice recipe – Simple, quick, spicy, flavorful and delicious one pot tomato rice made with only few ingredients. This can be made in a pressure cooker or a pot. If you are looking to use up left over or excess white rice, then you can make tomato rice just under 20 mins following this Thakkali sadam recipe.
In this post I have shown making tomato rice in cooker in the step by step method and in the video I have shown making it in a pot. Since it is quick to make one can prepare this for dinner on a busy week day or for a lunch box. It can be served plain or with some vegetable salad, curd, raita or papad. To make it kids’ friendly, you can puree the tomatoes and use.
As the name indicates this tomato rice is made using tomato alone and no vegetables are used except onion. However you can use any veggies like peas, potatoes etc and even soya chunks or boiled egg goes well.
To make tomato rice, you can use any kind of rice you like. You can prepare the rice however you like soft or al dente. Just that the quantity of water needs to be adjusted according to the kind of rice.
Tomato rice recipe
Tomato rice recipe | How to make tomato rice | Easy tomato rice recipe
One pot easy tomato rice made with fresh ripe tomatoes, spices and herbs. It is a simple basic rice dishes from South Indian cuisine. Tomato rice can be served with yogurt, raita, veg salad or papads.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for tomato rice
- 1 ½ cups rice basmati (washed & drained)
- 2 tbsps oil or ghee or clarified butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped or thinly sliced)
- 1 green chili (slit, optional)
- 2 tsps ginger garlic paste or crushed ginger garlic
- 1 cup tomatoes ripe (chopped & deseeded or pureed if preferred)
- Salt as needed
- 2 ½ to 3 cups Water or as needed (refer notes)
- 3 tbsp Coriander leaves or cilantro finely chopped
- Lemon juice as needed (skip if using sour tomatoes)
Spices for tomato rice recipe
- 1 small bay leaf or tej patta or curry leaves
- ½ to 1 tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 small cinnamon or dalchini
- 3 green cardamoms or elaichi
- 3 cloves or laung (optional)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric or haldi
- ¾ to 1 tsp red chili powder (reduce if making for kids) (use as needed)
- ¾ to 1 tsp garam masala powder or curry powder (or 1 tbsp bisi bele bath masala or vangi bath masala)
- ¼ tsp pepper crushed (optional)
How to make the recipe
How to make tomato rice
Wash rice until the water runs clear. Soak it until needed in the recipe or for 30 mins.
- Heat a pressure cooker or a pot with ghee or oil.
- Saute cloves, cinnamon, cumin and bay leaf until they begin to crackle.
- Add the onions and fry them until golden.
- Saute the ginger paste now just for few seconds.
- Add in the tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- Cook covered until soft.
- Add red chili powder and garam masala powder.
Mix and cook until the mixture turns completely soft and mushy. The masala leaves the sides of the pan.
- Pour water according to the rice.
- Stir and check salt. If needed add more.
Bring the water to a rolling boil. Drain the rice and add it.
Making tomato rice in a pressure cooker
Stir and cover the cooker with lid. Cook on a medium high heat. Allow to whistle once.
- When the pressure goes down, open the lid. Fluff up the rice.
Making tomato rice in a pot
Cook until the water has almost absorbed by the rice.
When the rice is still soggy, lower the flame completely and cover with a lid.
- Allow to cook completely. If needed sprinkle some warm water and stir. Cook until the tomato rice is completely cooked.
- If desired add chopped coriander leaves and squeeze in some lemon juice.
Tomato rice is ready to serve hot or warm with a raita.
Video of tomato rice recipe
If using curry powder or bisi bele bath or vangi bath masala, then you may need to skip the red chili powder or reduce it.
For basmati rice, I usually use 2.5 cups water for 1.5 cups rice.
For normal rice, you will need more.
Use water as needed depending on the kind of rice used.
Preparation for tomato rice recipe
1. Wash rice very well a few times until the water runs clear. Soak the rice if you wish until the preparation is done. Drain the rice and set aside.
2. Wash and slice onions thinly and slit green chili.
3. Wash and chop tomatoes. You can also deseed them before chopping.
4. Grate the ginger or ginger garlic or make a paste.
How to make tomato rice recipe
5. Add ghee or oil to a hot pressure cooker or a pot.
6. On a low heat, saute cinnamon, cloves, bayleaf and cumin until they begin to crackle.
7. Add chopped or sliced onions and begin to saute them.
8. When the onions turn golden, saute ginger paste just for few seconds.
9. Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
10. Next cover and cook until the tomatoes turn mushy.
11. Add red chili powder, pepper powder, garam masala. I used this garam masala along with half tsp of saunf powder.
12. Saute until the tomato masala turns soft and mushy. There should be no raw smell of tomatoes by now and the masala leaves the sides of the pan.
13. Pour water and Stir it well. Check and add more salt if needed. Bring it to a rolling boil.
14. Add drained rice.
15. Mix well. Next when the water comes to a boil. Cover with a lid.
16. Cook on a medium heat & allow to whistle once.
17. When the pressure settles down, open the lid and fluff up. If you like the rice to be al dente, do not allow the pressure to come down on its own. When the cooker is still with pressure, release it by lifting the whistle with a wooden spatula. Allow to rest for 5 mins. Fluff up the tomato rice. If desired you can squeeze in some lemon juice and add coriander leaves before you fluff up.
Serve tomato rice with onion slices or veg salad or raita.