Besan bread toast recipe – A quick breakfast recipe under 15 minutes using bread and besan or gram flour. Bread toast can be made in many ways, french toast, Spicy egg bread toast, capsicum cheese toast, Quick Garlic cheese toast are some of the kinds I have shared before. This besan bread toast is another quick one to try especially if you do not eat eggs.
However this one does in no way taste like the egg toast but it is made similar to the egg toast replacing egg with besan. We do eat eggs often but during the festive season we are on a vegetarian diet for few months. This besan bread toast recipe comes very handy for me during those days.
Besan bread toast is usually made with halved bread slices. But it is good to toast the whole slices if you have a large family. Since it saves a lot of time and is easy to flip as well. This is how I make and so showing it the same way.
It is best served hot with a cup of black tea or coffee or green tea. Since it is not deep fried it turns soggy after a while.
Besan bread toast recipe
Besan bread toast recipe on tawa under 15 minutes
Quick besan bread toast recipe - Coated with spiced gram flour batter and toasted on griddle. It can be served for breakfast or snack.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for besan bread toast
- 2 slices bread (halve the slices if preferred)
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil for frying
- 5 tbsps gram flour or besan
- ½ tsp carom seeds ajwain or vaamu
- 2 pinch turmeric or haldi
- 1/8 to ¼ tsp red chili powder
- Pinch hing or asafoetida
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp ginger or adrak - grated or crushed
- 1 green chili finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves Finely chopped
- 3 tbsp water (use as needed)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for bread besan toast
- Make a batter by mixing flour, onions, tomatoes, carom seeds, chili, ginger, coriander leaves, red chili powder and salt with enough water to make a thick batter.
- Beat the batter well with a fork for 1 to 2 minutes. Taste the batter to check if the salt & spice are enough.
How to make besan bread toast
- Heat a pan with oil.
- When the pan is hot enough, dip each slice of the bread in the batter on one side. Place them on the hot griddle.
- On a low to medium heat, toast until firm and bread comes off from the pan. Spoon the batter on the top side or the other side, just before flipping it. Do it carefully. Toast on the other side as well.
- Repeat frying on both the sides on a low flame until the batter is completely cooked. The toast must turn golden.
- Serve besan bread toast right away.
If you are making more servings then, just increase the ingredients proportionately and use larger pan and fry 3 to 4 slices at one time. This fastens the process of toasting.
How to make besan bread toast recipe
1. Add flour, ajwain, salt, turmeric, chilli powder to a mixing bowl. You can also add a tbsp rice flour or semolina for a slight crispy texture.
2. Add onions, tomatoes, green chilies and coriander leaves.
3. Add water just enough to make a thick batter. Mix well.
4. This is the batter consistency I usually follow. Make sure it is not thin or dripping other wise the bread turns soggy and even it takes very long to cook.
5. Heat the pan and spread oil evenly. A smaller pan works better since the oil doesn’t go off to the sides. When the pan is hot enough, turn on the flame to medium. Dip only one side of the bread in the batter. Place it on the tawa and cook until firm.
6. When the base of the bread begins to leave the pan, meaning it is done. Spoon the batter on the top side as well and flip it.
7. Cook on both the sides on a low to medium heat until cooked and golden.
The color difference is due to the harsh sun light. Cut the bread to halves before serving.
Serve besan bread toast while hot.