French toast (with egg & eggless)
French toast recipe with eggs and eggless option. French toast is a Classic breakfast made with bread slices, eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and a sweetener. There are so many international versions of making French toast and includes a savory version too where salt and pepper are used. This recipe shares the most common and popular version where bread slices are dipped in a custard mixture and then toasted with butter. Under 10 minutes you will get to enjoy these crisp and delicious French toast.
I have used this recipe for so long as my kids love these for a weekend snack. So I got to perfection the recipe to make a delicious and good French toast that is not soggy and eggy.
On occasions I have also made this eggless and it turns out so good even out the eggs. Custard powder or corn starch is used as a substitute to eggs. Though the flavor is not the same as with eggs but still it tastes good.
If you are a vegan then simply use any vegan milk and our favorite is this almond milk. Here are some common questions that may help you.
Thick slices of bread that do not have large pores and is at least a day old is best to use for French toast. Avoid fresh bread & bread with large holes as the egg enters the pores and won’t cook well turning the French toast soggy.
Just substitute eggs with custard powder or cornstarch in the recipe. Whisk together corn starch, flavoring ingredients and milk to make the custard for French toast. Dip your bread slices in this mixture and toast them in butter.
To make a vegan French toast, blend cashews with warm water until smooth. Make the custard by stirring it with corn starch, sugar and flavoring ingredients. Then dip the bread slices in it and toast them.
Bread slices that are thinner, fresh and have large holes will make the French toast soggy. So to avoid the toast getting soggy, toast the bread first until firm. Then use it in the recipe. Also avoid using thinner slices with large pores in them.
For extra crispiness, after making the toast place them on a preheated baking sheet and pop them in the oven for 4 to 5 mins. Bake at 170 C or 350 F. Turn them around after 4 mins to the other side. Adjust the timing as needed.
To make a fluffy toast, reduce the milk to 2 tbsps per egg and beat the mixture until frothy.
Toast the bread slices until firm. Beat together eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Dip the bread slices in this and pan fry them on a hot pan in which butter has been melted.
How to make french toast with egg
1. This step is optional but I prefer to do it to keep the bread firm before dipping in the egg mixture. Toast them on a low heat on both the sides until they become firm.
2. Choose a bowl that is shallow or wide enough to dip the bread slice in it. Break 1 egg to the bowl. Then add 1½ tablespoon sugar, a pinch of salt and milk. I have used oat milk. For a eggless version, mix together custard powder and milk.
3. Add ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
4. Beat all of them until frothy.
5. Heat a pan with 1 teaspoon butter for each slice of bread.
6. Dip the bread in the egg mixture. Be fast at this stage and don’t let the bread soak in the egg longer.
7. Dip the bread in the egg mixture on both the sides.
8. Wipe off the drippings to the edges of the bowl. Place it in the hot pan.
9. On a medium heat, toast it on both the sides until golden. If using a large pan, you can toast all the slices at one time.
Sprinkle powdered sugar over the French toast and serve. You can also pour maple syrup or honey. If using honey cool down the toast slightly and then add the honey.
For more bread toast recipes, you can check
Garlic cheese toast
Paneer cheese toast
Egg bread toast
Besan bread toast
Capsicum cheese toast
French toast recipe | How to make french toast with egg
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 large egg (or 2 tablespoon custard powder or corn starch)
- 4 to 6 slices bread (thick slices)
- ¼ cup milk (½ cup for eggless)
- 1½ tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (Or as needed)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
- Cold bread soaks up the mixture and makes a soggy French toast. So first place the bread slices on a pan & toast them on both the sides until firm.
- To prepare the mixture, choose a bowl that is wide enough to dip the bread slice.
- To a wide bowl break the egg and pour milk. (For a eggfree option, add custard powder or corn starch to the boil along with milk).
- Add sugar, salt & cinnamon. Beat the mixture until well mixed and uniform.
How to make French toast
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter for each bread slice on a pan.
- When the pan is hot enough, regulate the flame to medium.
- Dip the bread in the prepared egg mixture on both the sides. Swipe off the excess drippings to the edges of the bowl. Place it on the pan.
- Toast the bread slices until the mixture cooks through and the edges turn crisp. Then turn it to the other side and toast it until the edges turn crisp. Ensure the egg is fully cooked.
- Transfer to a serving plate and Repeat toasting rest of the bread slices the same way.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar or maple syrup on the french toast. Serve them hot.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Been following your blog after my marriage and getting praises for all the recipes even if I’m doing most of them for first time. First time trying the French toast as well and my husband loved it so much, he asked for second servings.
Thank you for being a boon for beginners like me. Love your step by step instructions with pictures. Keep up the beautiful work!
So glad to know the recipes are helping. Thank you so much for leaving this message. Makes me really happy!
I enjoyed eating the French toast everyone should try this recipe
The result was very good so please try this French toast recipe
Thank you so much!
This is the first time my French toast did not taste eggy. Tried this recipe and turned out fabulous. The only thing I did different was to add lesser milk. Thank you
You are welcome! Glad to know! Thank you
I just love ur all recipes.. help me for cooking in my new place after marrige.
thank you.. hope to see more marathi style food..
You are welcome! Thank you so much. Yes sure will share more recipes.
Very good and thanks for such a quick and easy recipe
Very nice and good.thanks slot.
Hii,,mujhe aapki btayi gyi sbhi resepi bahut pasand aati h or m unhe try b krti hu m aapse guzarish krti hu k mujhe kuchh griil cheese paneer sandwich ki resepi post kre, plz plz
nice to know you. Thanks for the feedback.
You can check this paneer sandwich recipe.
You can also make this cheese toast just use paneer as well in the recipe. Hope these help
Swasthi,all the recipes are very simple for beginners and easy to make.The picture for each instruction makes it more easier to make.
Good work.Keep it going.
Thanks for the appreciations. Have a good day
Woow…so delicious .
Can smell the aroma