Bread halwa recipe with video. Bread halwa is one of the most popular dessert from hyderabadi cuisine. We get to see this mostly in Hyderabadi or Andhra restaurants served in a hyderabadi meal. It is delicious, mouth melting and unique in its aroma and taste. However one can find a few different variations of this any where from light to quite heavy and dense in its texture. The recipe I am sharing yields a dessert that is neither too light nor too heavy and is apt to serve as a after meal dessert.
Similar bread dessert from hyderabadi cuisine is this shahi tukda recipe. Bread halwa is simple to make and can be done under 20 to 25 mins. It goes great as a after meal dessert in all seasons – summer or winters. This can also be slightly chilled and served.
As with most recipes using bread, the taste of the bread halwa too depends on the kind of bread used. I had tried this many times before and was not very happy with the outcome due to the kind of breads I had been using. Bread halwa tastes best when made with white bread or milk bread. However this time I have used wholemeal white bread and turned out to be great.
This recipe does not use khoya and is made just with milk. For a lighter version, use milk and water in 1:1 ratio – i.e 1 cup water and 1 cup milk. Using only milk gives a richness that is similar to using khoya. Do not reduce the amount of ghee mentioned in the recipe, since the halwa doesn’t leave the pan and sticks up.
Hyderabadi bread halwa recipe
Bread halwa recipe | How to make bread halwa | Bread ka halwa
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 5 slices Bread (Prefer white bread, milk bread or wholemeal white bread)
- 6 tbsps ghee (¼ cup + 2 tbsp) (use good quality ghee)
- ¼ cup sugar (prefer organic)
- 2 cups milk (For a lighter dessert use 1 cup water, 1 cup milk)
- 0.5 tsp cardamom powder - elaichi powder
- 6 to 8 almonds (sliced)
- 6 to 8 cashews (chopped)
- 1 tbsp chironji
How to make the recipe
Preparation for bread halwa
- Heat a pan with ghee and dry roast the nuts on a medium flame until golden. Set these aside in a plate.
- Tear off the bread slices to small pieces, about 1 inch cubes and add to the same pan. If you prefer you can also discard the browns of the bread, however they give a texture so I kept it.
- Begin to roast the bread until evenly golden.
How to make bread halwa
- Add milk and sugar.
- Mix everything well and begin to cook until the bread turns soft and mushy.
- The mixture turns very gooey initially, allow the mixture to thicken.
- Then add cardamom powder and 2 tbsp ghee.
- Begin to continuously saute it until the mixture begins to leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add nuts and continue to cook for 2 to 3 mins. At this stage you can see bread halwa begins to release ghee.
- Switch off and garnish with nuts.
- Serve bread halwa chilled or warm.
Video of bread halwa recipe
Do use a non-stick pan.
Do use fresh quality ghee, as the aroma of ghee is very prominent in the final dish.