Mango kesari recipe or mango sheera is made of rava and sweet ripe mango. Past 6 weeks just went on busy with kids’ holidays and a trip to India. During our trips to India, I have the pleasure of enjoying organic fruits either from our farm or from generous relatives and friends who send them across for us. There were a lot of organic mangoes sent by my uncle. To use up the surplus mangoes I made this mango halwa.
This mango kesari recipe is adapted from my pineapple rava kesari which I shared earlier. But this time I went ahead using bansi rava. If you are a health nut like me, go ahead and use broken wheat but if it is the taste and the color that matters, use semolina.
To make this mango kesari recipe, i have used a bit of saffron that goes good with mango flavor. If you don’t have just skip it but that gives a good bright color.
We personally love the moist looking kesari rather than the greasy one, so I use more of the mango pulp. you can reduce it to half the quantity mentioned in the recipe.
Mango kesari recipe or mango sheera below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1.5 cups mango ripe, chopped, sweet (choose the pulpy variety)
- 3/4 cup sugar (you can brown sugar too)
- 1 pinch kesar / saffron (optional) best quality
- 4 green cardamoms powdered
- 1 cup kesar rava / medium broken wheat rava or semolina
- 1.5 cups water
- Ghee at least 3 tbsp
How to make the recipe
- Add mango cubes, cardamom powder, saffron and sugar to a blender and blend to a smooth puree. Set this aside for 15 minutes to lend a good color naturally to the kesari.
- Heat a pan with 1 to 2 tbsp. ghee and roast semolina or broken wheat on a medium to low flame till you get an aroma of the rava. It can be dry roasted too, but using ghee enhances the aroma.
- To the same pan add little more ghee, lightly fry cashews, add raisins and fry till they swell. Transfer the cashews and raisins to a small bowl. set aside.
- To the same pan, add 1.5 cups of water , allow it to boil rapidly.
- Add rava in a stream slowly and keep stirring with another hand. Be quick in stirring and slow in adding rawa to prevent the formation of lumps.
- Break any lumps and stir it gently. Cook till all the water evaporates.
- Add 1 tbsp. Ghee and mix well .
- Add the blended mango sugar puree. Mix gently. Cook for about 7 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Garnish mango kesari with nuts and serve.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
You can roast the rava with or without ghee. Cool it then add to the boiling water. Roasted rava yields kesari that has the best aroma and texture.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
How to make mango kesari recipe
1.Blend mango, cardamom powder, saffron and sugar to a smooth puree. If u have time set this aside for about 15 minutes, this lends a good color naturally to the kesari.
2.Dry roast semolina or rava in 1 to 2 tbsp. ghee till you get an aroma.
3. Heat a deep casserole or a heavy bottom utensil, melt little more ghee, fry cashews. When they are lightly fried, add raisins and fry till they swell. Transfer the cashews and raisins to a small bowl.
4. To the same utensil or pan, add 1.5 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
5. Add rava in a stream slowly and keep string with another hand. You must be quick in string and slow in adding raw to prevent lumps.
6. Break any lumps and stir it gently. Cook till all the water evaporates.
7. Add 1 tbsp. Ghee. Mix well.
8. Add the puréed mango and sugar mixture. Mix gently. Continue to cook on a low to medium flame for about 7 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Off the stove and keep the mango sheera or mango kesari covered for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
9. Scoop off a few tbsp to a serving bowl. Garnish with nuts and raisins.