Mango kesari, also known as mango halwa or mango sheera, is an easy dessert made with ripe mangoes, semolina, cardamoms, sugar, nuts and raisins. Past 6 weeks just went on busy with kids’ holidays and a trip to India. During our trips to India, I have the pleasure of enjoying organic fruits either from our farm or from generous relatives and friends who send them across for us. There were a lot of organic mangoes sent by my uncle. To use up the surplus mangoes I made this mango halwa.
This mango kesari recipe is adapted from my pineapple rava kesari which I shared earlier. But this time I went ahead using bansi rava. If you are a health nut like me, go ahead and use broken wheat but if it is the taste and the color that matters, use semolina.
To make this mango kesari recipe, I have used a bit of saffron that goes good with mango flavor. If you don’t have just skip it but that gives a good bright color.
We personally love the moist looking kesari rather than the greasy one, so I use more of the mango pulp. you can reduce it to half the quantity mentioned in the recipe.
How to make mango kesari
1. Blend mango, cardamom powder, saffron and sugar to a smooth puree. If u have time set this aside for about 15 minutes, this lends a good color naturally to the kesari.
2. Add semolina to a heavy bottom pot or pan. On a medium to low heat, dry roast till you get an aroma. Do not brown the rava but it has to turn crunchy and aromatic. Transfer this to a bowl.
3. Add ghee and heat it. Add cashews. When they are lightly fried, add raisins and fry till they swell. Transfer the cashews and raisins to a small bowl.
4. To the same pan, add 1.5 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
5. Add rava in a stream slowly and keep string with another hand. You must be quick in string and slow in adding raw to prevent lumps.
6. Break any lumps and stir it gently. Cook covered on a low heat till all the water evaporates.
7. Add 1 tbsp. Ghee. Mix well.
8. Add the puréed mango and sugar mixture. Mix gently. Continue to cook on a low to medium flame for about 7 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Off the stove and keep the mango sheera covered for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
9. Scoop off a few tbsp to a serving bowl. Garnish with nuts and raisins.
Mango kesari (mango halwa, mango sheera)
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1½ cups mango ripe, chopped, sweet (choose the pulpy variety)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 pinch kesar / saffron (optional) best quality
- 4 green cardamoms powdered
- 1 cup kesar rava / medium broken wheat rava or semolina
- 1½ cups water
- 4 tbsps Ghee (use at least 3 tbsp)
- Add mango cubes, cardamom powder, saffron and sugar to a blender and blend to a smooth puree. Set this aside for 15 minutes to lend a good color naturally to the kesari.
- Dry roast semolina on a medium to low flame till you get an aroma of the rava. Do not brown the rava but it has to turn crunchy and aromatic. Transfer this to a bowl.
- To the same pan add 3 tablespoons ghee and heat it. Fry cashews until light golden. Then add raisins and fry till they swell. Transfer the cashews and raisins to a small bowl. set aside.
- To the same pan, add 1½ cups of water. Bring it to a rapid boil.
- Reduce the flame to low. Add rava in a stream slowly and keep stirring with another hand. Be quick in stirring and slow in adding rawa to prevent the formation of lumps.
- Break any lumps and stir it gently. Cook covered on a lowest heat till all the water evaporates.
- Add 1 tbsp. Ghee and mix well .
- Add the blended mango sugar puree. Mix gently. Cook for about 7 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Garnish mango kesari with nuts and serve.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes