rava pulihora is often prepared with rice rava in Andhra cuisine and is similar to the lemon rice. Rice is soaked, dried for a while and then the damp rice is made to rava. You can follow this post on how to make rice rava for rava pulihora.
rava pulihora can also be made with broken wheat also called as samba rava. The recipe shared here can be used to prepare pulihora with any rava either rice rava or wheat rava.
It is a quick recipe and tastes better than the broken wheat upma. It is definitely an healthier choice to use broken wheat than using rice rava or even brown rice rava can be used.
I have used lemon juice, you can even use a ready puliyogare mix like the MTR or GRB brands. You can even use fresh coconut if you wish to enhance the taste.
rava pulihora recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup broken wheat rava or rice rava
- 1 cup water (1 ½ cups if you are using very coarse rava)
- Salt to taste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- ¼ tsp channa dal and urad dal
- 1 Pinch hing
- 1 green chili slit
- little ginger grated
- Lemon juice as needed
- 1 Pinch turmeric
How to make the recipe
- Dry roast rava lightly in a pan.
- Bring water to boil in a heavy bottom pan, add salt and few drops of oil. Oil prevents rava from becoming sticky.
- Pour in the rava to the boiling water with one hand slowly and stirring with the other to prevent lumps.
- Cook on a low flame till no water is left.
- Cover and cook on a very low flame for another 2 to 3 minutes. Off the heat. Keep covered for 5 mins. This way it remains soft. If using rice rava, cool it completely.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the curry leaves, chili, ginger, mustard, jeera, dals, and peanuts. Fry till you get an aroma. Add hing and turmeric.
- Add the cooked rava, lemon juice and mix well.
- rava pulihora is ready to serve with pappu podi or curd.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
Step by step pictures
Serve with curd or pappu podi.