Oats upma recipe – learn easily how to make oats upma in 15 minutes with step by step photos. To make oats upma, regular rolled oats are best. The health benefits of regular rolled oats are more when compared to the quick cook oats. Regular rolled oats have a low glycemic index than the quick cook oats. So those who want to include oats in their diet for health reasons must favor rolled oats.
However if you do not get rolled oats in the place you live, you can still use Instant oats or quick cook oats. A bowl of freshly cooked oatmeal or porridge could be one of the healthiest breakfasts.
But not many folks like to begin their day with porridge or granola, for them there are many alternates to enjoying this grain.
I make use of oats in various ways like to make masala oats, lemon oats, oats pongal, oats pesarattu, oats dosa, vegetable oats porridge, oats chivda.
This oats upma is one of the healthiest & can be prepared in less than 15 minutes.
Tips to make oats upma
1. Rolled oats are best to make oats upma as they do not turn mushy. However you can also use instant oats by dry roasting them well.
2. Vegetables will enhance the nutrition & taste of the oats upma. You can use carrots, beans and peas.
3. Always keep track of the amount of water you use in the recipe to avoid the whole thing turning mushy. Rolled oats work with 1:1 ratio of Oats:water. Instant oats work with 1:½ ratio.
In this post, I have shared how to make oats upma in 2 ways. Please scroll down for the second method.
Oats upma recipe -method 1
1. Dry roast 1 cup oats until crisp on a medium flame. They do not turn as crisp as poha but a bit. Transfer these aside to a plate.
2. Heat 1½ tablespoon oil in a pan. Add ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds(optional). When the mustard begins to pop, add half teaspoon chana dal and half teaspoon urad dal.
3. Then add 2 tablespoons peanuts or 8 to 10 split cashews.
4. Fry until the dals turn golden. Then add half teaspoon grated or chopped ginger and 1 sprig curry leaves. Fry for a minute until the ginger smells good.
5. Add 1 finely chopped onion & 1 to 2 chopped green chilies.
6. Saute until the onions turn transparent.
7. This is optional. If using mix vegetables, add ½ to ¾ cup. Half small carrot, 2 to 3 small beans and 2 tbsps green peas. Fry for 2 mins.
8. Sprinkle 2 tbsps water and cook covered until slightly soft for 2 to 3 mins.
9. Then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric and half teaspoon salt.
How to make oats upma
10. Pour water and bring it to a boil. If using rolled oats pour 1 cup water. If using instant quick cook oats then pour half cup water. If you like mushy oats then pour more water.
11. Then add roasted oats.
12. Mix well. The water will be absorbed with in a minute or 2.
13. Then cover and cook on a low flame for 2 mins or until no excess moisture is left.
14. With rolled oats it turns fluffy. With Instant oats it turns soft and slightly mushy.
Let cool down a bit then sprinkle some lemon juice and enjoy with curd.
Rolled oats upma in 15 minutes
This method works only with rolled oats. Do not use Instant oats.
1. This is an optional step. Dry roast oats evenly in a skillet for 5 minutes. keep this aside to cool. You can make this a day ahead and save it in a airtight jar.
2. Add oil to a pan and heat. Add peanuts, chana dal, urad dal , cumin, red chili and mustard. fry till they turn golden. Skip peanuts if using green peas.
3. Add chili,ginger, hing and curry leaves and fry till the curry leaves turn crisp. Next add onions and fry till they turn slightly pink. Then add chopped vegetables like carrots, peas, beans. Fry till they turn soft. If needed cover and cook.
4. Rinse roasted oats under running water in a colander. Drain off the excess water immediately. Add turmeric to the pan. If using tomatoes add them and fry till mushy. i do not prefer to use them.
5. Add the rinsed oats.Sprinkle salt, lemon juice if you like. Mix everything well.
6. Cook covered on a low flame for about 7 minutes.
7. Add coconut, coriander leaves and lemon juice (if you have not used tomato). If you like it to be soft and mushy, just sprinkle some water and cook further for another 2 minutes.Mix everything well and serve.
To make this oats upma , you can use ¼ cup of chopped mixed vegetables like green peas, carrots, capsicums. I have used peanuts, you can replace them with cashews.
Oats upma recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup rolled oats or quick cook oats
- 1 cup water for rolled oats , ½ cup for quick cook oats
- 1½ tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion chopped finely or sliced
- ½ to ¾ cup mix vegetables optional (chopped ½ small carrot, 2 tbsps peas, 2 beans)
- 1 to 2 green chilies (slit) or broken red chili
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice as needed or 1 very small tomato
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves for garnish
- ½ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut (optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon ginger chopped finely or grated, (optional)
- 1 pinch hing (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin or jeera
- ½ teaspoon chana dal (optional)
- ½ teaspoon urad dal (optional)
- 2 tablespoons peanuts or 8 to 10 cashew nuts
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- Dry roast 1 cup oats in a wide pan for about 5 minutes until crisp. They do not become very crisp. Set this aside to cool.
- Heat a pan with 1½ tablespoon oil. Add ½ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds, 2 tablespoons peanuts, ½ teaspoon chana dal & ½ teaspoon urad dal.
- Fry them stirring often till the peanuts turn golden and aromatic.
- Next add 1 pinch hing, ½ teaspoon ginger, 1 to 2 slit green chilies & 1 sprig curry leaves. Fry all of them till the curry leaves turn crisp.
- Then add 1 small chopped onions and saute until golden.
- Optional – If using veggies. Then add ½ to ¾ cup vegetables and fry for 2 mins.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp water. Cover and cook until the veggies are slightly soft.
How to make oats upma
- Next sprinkle some ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon turmeric.
- If using rolled oats then pour 1 cup water. or if using quick cook oats use ½ cup water.
- Mix well and then taste the water. The water has to be slightly salty. If needed add more salt. Bring it to a boil.
- Transfer the roasted oats & give a gentle mix to incorporate the water with the oats.
- With in 1 to 2 mins the water will be absorbed. Cover and cook on a low flame for 2 mins or until all the moisture is evaporated.
- Add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- When the temperature comes down, pour 1 tablespoon lemon juice. You can top it with some fresh grated coconut if you have. It tastes good as it is.
- Oats upma is best served with yogurt.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes