Oats Upma Recipe
Oats upma recipe – learn easily how to make oats upma in 15 minutes with step by step photos. To make oats upma, regular rolled oats are best. The health benefits of regular rolled oats are more when compared to the quick cook oats. Regular rolled oats have a low glycemic index than the quick cook oats. So those who want to include oats in their diet for health reasons must favor rolled oats.
However if you do not get rolled oats in the place you live, you can still use Instant oats or quick cook oats. A bowl of freshly cooked oatmeal or porridge could be one of the healthiest breakfasts.
But not many folks like to begin their day with porridge or granola, for them there are many alternates to enjoying this grain.
I make use of oats in various ways like to make masala oats, lemon oats, oats pongal, oats pesarattu, oats dosa, vegetable oats porridge, oats chivda.
Here are some of them you may like to check.
32 Oats recipes
This oats upma is one of the healthiest & can be prepared in less than 15 minutes.
Tips to make oats upma
1. Rolled oats are best to make oats upma as they do not turn mushy. However you can also use instant oats by dry roasting them well.
2. Vegetables will enhance the nutrition & taste of the oats upma. You can use carrots, beans and peas.
3. Always keep track of the amount of water you use in the recipe to avoid the whole thing turning mushy. Rolled oats work with 1:1 ratio of Oats:water. Instant oats work with 1:½ ratio.
In this post, I have shared how to make oats upma in 2 ways. Please scroll down for the second method.
How to make Oats Upma – method 1
1. Dry roast 1 cup oats until crisp on a medium flame. They do not turn as crisp as poha but a bit. Transfer these aside to a plate.
2. Heat 1½ tablespoon oil in a pan. Add ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds(optional). When the mustard begins to pop, add half teaspoon chana dal and half teaspoon urad dal.
3. Then add 2 tablespoons peanuts or 8 to 10 split cashews.
4. Fry until the dals turn golden. Then add half teaspoon grated or chopped ginger and 1 sprig curry leaves. Fry for a minute until the ginger smells good.
5. Add 1 finely chopped onion & 1 to 2 chopped green chilies.
6. Saute until the onions turn transparent.
7. This is optional. If using mix vegetables, add ½ to ¾ cup. Half small carrot, 2 to 3 small beans and 2 tbsps green peas. Fry for 2 mins.
8. Sprinkle 2 tbsps water and cook covered until slightly soft for 2 to 3 mins.
9. Then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric and half teaspoon salt.
Water for oats upma
10. Pour water and bring it to a boil. If using rolled oats pour 1 cup water. If using instant quick cook oats then pour half cup water. If you like mushy oats then pour more water.
11. Then add roasted oats.
12. Mix well. The water will be absorbed with in a minute or 2.
13. Then cover and cook on a low flame for 2 mins or until no excess moisture is left.
14. With rolled oats it turns fluffy. With Instant oats it turns soft and slightly mushy.
Let cool down a bit then sprinkle some lemon juice and enjoy with curd.
Rolled oats upma in 15 minutes
This method works only with rolled oats. Do not use Instant oats.
1. This is an optional step. Dry roast oats evenly in a skillet for 5 minutes. keep this aside to cool. You can make this a day ahead and save it in a airtight jar.
2. Add oil to a pan and heat. Add peanuts, chana dal, urad dal , cumin, red chili and mustard. fry till they turn golden. Skip peanuts if using green peas.
3. Add chili,ginger, hing and curry leaves and fry till the curry leaves turn crisp. Next add onions and fry till they turn slightly pink. Then add chopped vegetables like carrots, peas, beans. Fry till they turn soft. If needed cover and cook.
4. Rinse roasted oats under running water in a colander. Drain off the excess water immediately. Add turmeric to the pan. If using tomatoes add them and fry till mushy. i do not prefer to use them.
5. Add the rinsed oats.Sprinkle salt, lemon juice if you like. Mix everything well.
6. Cook covered on a low flame for about 7 minutes.
7. Add coconut, coriander leaves and lemon juice (if you have not used tomato). If you like it to be soft and mushy, just sprinkle some water and cook further for another 2 minutes.Mix everything well and serve.
Best served with curd/dahi or chutney podi or flax seeds powder.
To make this oats upma , you can use ¼ cup of chopped mixed vegetables like green peas, carrots, capsicums. I have used peanuts, you can replace them with cashews.
Oats Upma Recipe
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup rolled oats or quick cook oats
- 1 cup water for rolled oats , ½ cup for quick cook oats
- 1½ tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion chopped finely or sliced
- ½ to ¾ cup mix vegetables optional (chopped ½ small carrot, 2 tbsps peas, 2 beans)
- 1 to 2 green chilies (slit) or broken red chili
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice as needed or 1 very small tomato
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves for garnish
- ½ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut (optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon ginger chopped finely or grated, (optional)
- 1 pinch hing (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin or jeera
- ½ teaspoon chana dal (optional)
- ½ teaspoon urad dal (optional)
- 2 tablespoons peanuts or 8 to 10 cashew nuts
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- Dry roast 1 cup oats in a wide pan for about 5 minutes until crisp. They do not become very crisp. Set this aside to cool.
- Heat a pan with 1½ tablespoon oil. Add ½ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds, 2 tablespoons peanuts, ½ teaspoon chana dal & ½ teaspoon urad dal.
- Fry them stirring often till the peanuts turn golden and aromatic.
- Next add 1 pinch hing, ½ teaspoon ginger, 1 to 2 slit green chilies & 1 sprig curry leaves. Fry all of them till the curry leaves turn crisp.
- Then add 1 small chopped onions and saute until golden.
- Optional – If using veggies. Then add ½ to ¾ cup vegetables and fry for 2 mins.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp water. Cover and cook until the veggies are slightly soft.
How to make oats upma
- Next sprinkle some ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon turmeric.
- If using rolled oats then pour 1 cup water. or if using quick cook oats use ½ cup water.
- Mix well and then taste the water. The water has to be slightly salty. If needed add more salt. Bring it to a boil.
- Transfer the roasted oats & give a gentle mix to incorporate the water with the oats.
- With in 1 to 2 mins the water will be absorbed. Cover and cook on a low flame for 2 mins or until all the moisture is evaporated.
- Add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- When the temperature comes down, pour 1 tablespoon lemon juice. You can top it with some fresh grated coconut if you have. It tastes good as it is.
- Oats upma is best served with yogurt.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Your recipes are mind-blowing!. I particularly love the rolled oats upma. Turns out so good each time without getting mushy. Thank you.
Thank you so much Padma. Glad you like the recipes.
Hi Swasthi I plan to try this with steel cut oats , will any step be different ? , thank you
Hi, This recipe won’t work with steel cut oats. I have another recipe here – savory steel cut oats. If you don’t want to use lentils you can skip them and reduce the water. Hope you enjoy the dish!
Loved it. My husband doesn’t like pats but he devoured this upma. Thanks for this wonderful and healthy recipe.
Glad to know Khushi
Hi Swasti, Thank you for this recipie. Just now I tried this for dinner it turned out really well n it is my first time trying oats upma .
Glad to know! Thank you
All ur recepies are yummy
How beautifully you have described the recipes, makes me feel like trying them out. I am taking True Elements Rolled Oats in my diet recently and will definitely try these recipes with them.
Hi Swasthi, thank you for sharing your recipes out here. I tried Oats Upma this morning and must say it was fantabulous. My husband who is a bit fussy when it comes to oats loved it. I plan to make it for him regularly now. Thank you very much.
So glad to know! Thank you!
I have made it thrice already. I have been adding few more veggies than recommended and its turning out amazing. I am going to try Quinoa upma soon 🙂
Nice to know Punita
Thank you very much for nice recipes.
The recipe is easy and your way of cooking is so easy to follow??
Hi swasthi gaaru how r u ? never thought with oats we can make tasty recipe, as my husband suddenly asked me to make something else other than rice. Made this with broccoli really very tasty without any stickkyness, he liked it very much ( generally he dont like oats at all). Is it ok to eat for dinner? Can i give this to kid ? She want to eat but i said no as it was not cooked longer.
I am doing good. Thank you! Glad to know! Yes you can eat it for dinner. Have it with some yogurt on the side. I guess your daughter is around 4 now. You can give her, no problem. You can steam it longer on a low flame. Next time look for thick rolled oats, they are good even if you steam them for 3 mins. I used to place the bowl of rinsed oats in the cooker and steam (like idlis) for 3 to 4 mins. Then add it to the tempering. They don’t turn mushy at all. You can also take a look at this collection of oats recipes.
Thanq swasthi. As usual i forgot about my comment ?. Just checking about horse gram recipes in our site then suddenly remembered. Will u plz advice which nonstick dosa pan is good with less maintanance, need to order for my mom.
I haven’t posted anything with horse gram yet. I use tefal titanium pro pans. You can look for the latest model – Tefal titanium excellence. But I think it is good to check them for defects before buying rather than ordering online. Hope this helps.
Thanq u for immardiate reply, becoz of present situation in india she cannot go outside to buy dosa tawa, she lives in village. So asked to me to order swasthi gaaru.
You can do it on amazon India.
Very detailed recipe. Thank you Swasthi!
I have recently discovered this site and love all the recipes I have tried so far. Recently I made the tomato chutney and oats upma which were fantastic.
Thank you so much for sharing your recipes on line.
Tried this today and it was so yummy. Makes for a healthy and wholesome breakfast. Loved it.
Glad to know it turned out good
Thank you for sharing this recipe. I tried it and it was very tasty.
You are welcome!
Can you substitute fresh curry leaves with dry curry leaves?
Yes you can or even skip it.
Love this recipe, it’s such a wonderful variation on breakfast porridges, and the only dish with oats that my husband loves! My south Indian friend recommended your website, and it has opened a whole new world of healthy vegetarian cooking for me – thank you so much!
You are welcome. So glad your husband loves the oats upma. A special thanks to your friend for recommending my blog. Have a wonderful week ahead! Thank you so much!
I love your recipes. they are crisp and clear. I have been trying a lot of recipes from here and the results are outstanding always. Can you please share Black Forest cake?
Thanks for following the recipes. Sure I can share it.
it was AMAZING! Loved oats made this way! I didn’t know rolled oats could just be soaked like poha. Thank you for a good recipe!!
You are welcome Nidhi
Thanks for trying. Yes rolled oats can be used just by soaking like poha.
Hi Swasthi ! Thank You for yami Oats receipes which are easy to make & very tasty.
Glad to know you liked them
Hi Swasthi! Thanks for all the great recipes over the years. I always make your recipes and my family always raves about them.
I wanted to ask if the chana and urad dal is supposed to be dry/raw or is it soaked or cooked?
Also, do you recommed keeping grated coconut in the fridge? How long can I store it? Thanks!
Thanks for trying the recipes. I always use chana dal and urad dal without soaking. They get roasted in the tempering and turn hard but after adding some moist ingredient like onions, tomatoes or any veggie they become slightly soft.
Soaked dal will not lend that nutty aroma. Yes you can store grated coconut in fridge for about 5 to 7 days. I usually chop the coconut and store in a glass container in the fridge. When ever needed i just run them in the blender.
Hope these help
Is there any app for using ur recipes without internet connection…
I would like that u to open an app from ur recipes please
We do not have one yet.