Semiya upma or vermicelli upma recipe – UPMA is one of the regular breakfast that is made in most South Indian homes. It can be made of rava, vermicelli, poha, sabudana, oats or millets. Iam sharing 2 methods of making semiya upma recipe – with and without using vegetables. You can find the one with vegetables towards the second half of this post.
To make this semiya upma, I have used bambino unroasted semiya. Any variety of semiya can be used for this recipe. If you are using roasted semiya, refer the notes. The quantity of water to use differs for thick and thin variety vermicelli (details included below).
Method 1 – step by step photos on quick semiya upma recipe
1. Add oil to a hot pan. Add mustard, cumin, urad dal, chana dal and peanuts. When the peanuts get roasted well and turn golden, sprinkle hing. I have not used ginger, if you like it add it now.
2. Add thinly sliced onions, green chili and curry leaves. Fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add unroasted semiya.
4. On a low to medium flame, roast them well until lightly golden. If vermicelli is not roasted well, upma turns sticky. Do not burn. Keep stirring.
5. While the vermicelli gets roasted, Pour 1 ¾ cups water to a pot or bowl. Add salt and taste it. It should be slightly salty. Bring this to a boil. You can do it on the stove or in a microwave.
6. Pour the hot water to the vermicelli and then stir immediately to prevent lumps.
7. Cook on a medium high flame without covering till the entire moisture is absorbed. Stir occasionally.
8. Cover the pan and Switch off the stove. Leave it aside for 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Lastly, I like to add lemon juice, grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves to the vermicelli upma. This is optional. Allow semiya upma to cool down a bit and then fluff up.
Serve semiya upma with pickle or podi.
Method 2 – vegetable semiya upma recipe with step by step photos
This method of making vermicelli upma though takes 5 to 7 minutes more to prepare than the first method. This is healthy one since veggies are included and can be packed for the lunch box.
1. Dry roast 1 cup vermicelli on a medium flame until they turn slightly golden. Transfer this to a plate.
2. Pour oil to a hot pan. Add half tsp cumin, half tsp mustard, half tbsp each of chana and urad dal. Fry until the dal turns lightly golden. Dals can be skipped.
3. Add curry leaves and green chili as desired.
4. Next add 3/4 to 1 cup finely chopped vegetables and then saute for 2 to 3 minutes. I use carrots, onion, beans and green peas.
5. Cover and cook on a low flame till they turn tender and almost cooked.
6. Add salt and stir.
7. Pour 1 ¾ cups water. Next stir and taste the water. It has to be slightly salty. Bring it to a rolling boil on a high flame. If using thin vermicelli 1 ¼ cup water would be sufficient.
8. Add the roasted vermicelli. Stir well to prevent lumps.
9. Cook on a medium high flame till all the water is absorbed.
10. Switch off the stove and then cover the pan with a lid. Allow to rest for 3 to 4 minutes.
Semiya upma is ready. Lastly fluff up with a fork and serve. If desired you can add little lemon juice.
Find semiya upma recipe below
Semiya upma recipe | vermicelli upma recipe | vermicelli recipes
Vermicelli upma or semiya upma is a simple South Indian Breakfast made with wheat or semolina vermicelli.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for semiya upma
- 1 cup semiya or vermicelli
- 1¾ cups water for thick semiya or 1 cup for thin variety
- salt as needed
- 1 small onion thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 green chili slit or chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp ginger chopped (optional)
Tempering ingredients for semiya upma
- 1 ½ tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- ½ tbsp channa dal or split bengal gram
- ½ tbsp urad dal or skinned black gram
- 2 to 3 tbsp peanuts skip if using peas
- pinch asafoetida or hing
- ¾ cup mix vegetables carrot, peas, beans - chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
How to make the recipe
Roasting semiya for semiya upma recipe
If using roasted vermicelli, then skip this step. Dry roast semiya uniformly on a medium flame until lightly golden. Transfer to a plate.
Tempering for semiya upma
Heat oil in a wide pan.
Next add mustard, cumin, chana dal, urad dal and peanuts. You can skip peanuts if you are using green peas.
- Fry until the peanuts turn golden and roasted well. Add hing.
Add onions, ginger, chilli and curry leaves. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes until the onions turn transparent.
This step is optional. If using carrot, beans and peas add them now and saute for another 3 mins. Cook covered on a low flame till they turn slightly tender.
How to make semiya upma
Pour water and add salt. Stir and check by tasting. The water has to be slightly salty.
Bring it to a boil.
Transfer semiya to the pan or pot. Stir immediately to prevent lumps.
Cook on a medium high flame till the vermicelli is cooked well. By then the water evaporates.
- If desired can sprinkle grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.
Cover the pan and set aside for 2 to 3 minutes. Leave the pan open to cool a bit and fluff up. Let the temperature come down before you serve.
Semiya upma can be served with podi, pickle or seasoned curd.