Broken wheat upma or dalia upma recipe with step by step pictures – healthy, delicious and nourishing breakfast. Dalia is made from a special kind of whole wheat and has high nutritional values including fiber that comes from the bran or husk of the wheat. It is also referred as cracked wheat or samba rava or broken wheat and is called as godhuma rava in Telugu.
It is often used to make halwa, khichdi, upma, pulihora, puliyogare and other dishes. The most common preparation in North India is to prepare dalia with just vegetables to a semi solid consistency.
In some states it is also used to make dalia khichdi with moong dal and veggies. This recipe is just another variation of south Indian upma but made using broken wheat or dalia. You can also make this to a porridge like consistency.
Broken wheat upma can be prepared in a pan,handi, kadai or pressure cooker. It turns out soft and delicious even in pressure cooker.
Broken wheat upma is healthier than the semolina or Rava upma or rice rava upma. I have used only carrots, potatoes and peas. Veggies like beans, spring onions, capsicum & cashews too can be used. Just try out with your favorite veggies. I like to use a fat pinch of turmeric to give a good color to the upma.
Broken wheat upma or dalia upma
Broken wheat upma
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cups broken wheat or dalia
- 3 cups water
- 1 small onion chopped or sliced
- ¼ cup green peas
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 potato peeled and cubed small
- 2 green chillies slit (adjust as per the taste)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Pinch asafoetida or hing
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi (optional)
- ½ tsp mustard or rai
- ½ tsp jeera or cumin
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
How to make the recipe
- Dry roast rava on a medium heat till you get a nice aroma. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai. Add mustard, jeera, and curry leaves.
- Allow them to splutter. Then add hing , onions, potatoes, carrots, peas and fry for 3 to 4 mins.
- Pour water. Then add turmeric & salt. Taste the water and add more salt if needed.
- Bring the water to a rapid boil. Regulate the flame to medium.
- Add broken wheat in a slow stream stirring with one of your hands. Stir well and close the lid.
- Cook till the veggies are cooked fully or pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles on a low flame. If you are not making it in a pressure cooker, then just cook it till it is fully done and the water is absorbed.
- Once the pressure is down, mix well broken wheat upma and serve with your favorite side. A chutney or pickle or sambar or pappu podi goes well.
Broken wheat upma or dalia upma – step by step photos
1. Dry roast dalia till you begin to get a good aroma. Set this aside to cool. Add oil to a pan or pressure cooker and heat up. Add mustard, jeera and curry leaves.
2. When they begin to crackle add hing, and vegetables of your choice like onions, potatoes, carrots, peas and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Pour water, add turmeric salt, bring the water to boil.
4. Add dalia or broken wheat slowly stirring with one of your hands. Stir well to break any lumps. Cover and cook, if using pressure cooker close the lid.
5. Let it cook till dalia is soft cooked, you can add more hot water as needed if you want a porridge like consistency. Keep the pan covered for about 5 to 10 minutes. If using a pressure cooker, let it whistle once or twice on a low flame. When the pressure goes down, mix well and serve broken wheat upma. Trying to show that it doesn’t get burnt at the bottom.