Capsicum chutney recipe | Bell pepper chutney
Capsicum chutney recipe – Indian bell pepper chutney for breakfasts & snacks. Chutneys are a basic condiment from Indian cuisine and are mostly served with every meal. Capsicum chutney is a great healthy condiment to serve with idli, dosa, paratha, pongal & also with snacks. I prefer to make chutney with vegetables or leafy greens to accompany our south Indian breakfast & even snacks.
That’s one of the easiest ways to include vegetables in our breakfast. I make capsicum chutney in different ways. Here in this post I have shared 2 recipes.
Capsicums or bell peppers are rich in vitamin A, C and many other minerals. Apart from adding them to stir fry dishes & fried rice, I also make make many recipes where capsicum is the main ingredient like this capsicum chutney.
Here are some capsicum recipes you may want to check capsicum rice, capsicum curry and Capsicum fry recipes.
How to make capsicum chutney
This was made another time when I used green capsicum.
1. Dry roast dals and red chilis. When the dals turn golden, then add cumin. Toss it for a minute.
2. Cool and add them to a blender jar.
3. Add oil to the pan and saute onions, capsicum and garlic. Saute till the raw smell of the capsicums goes away completely. If using tomatoes, you can add them now and saute till they turn mushy.
4. Powder the dals first, then add the cooled capsicums and onions. Add tamarind or lemon juice and salt.
5. Make smooth chutney. Adjust salt as needed.
6. Heat oil in a pan and allow mustard to splutter. Add red chilli and curry leaves. Switch off, add hing and pour it over the capsicum chutney.
You can also make this capsicum chutney like a pachadi or thogayal to serve with plain rice and ghee. Do not add water and just blend all the ingredients together.
Tips to make capsicum chutney
- To add some texture to the bell pepper chutney, you can add some chana dal and urad dal. If you do not have lentils then just replace with roasted peanuts or even fried gram.
- If you do not eat garlic, then replace it with ginger.
- You can swap in red chilies for green chilies. I prefer to use red chilies for red capcium and green chlies for green capsicum as it helps to enhance the color. But you can use any.
- Feel free to add a tomato. You can also just squeeze in a lemon for the tang.
- Greens like mint (pudina) or coriander leaves can also be used to add flavor.
- To make it low fat, just skip the tempering.
More chutney recipes
Capsicum chutney recipe
Capsicum chutney recipe | Bell pepper chutney
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup capsicum or bell pepper (red or green)
- ½ cup onions cubed (optional)
- 2 to 3 red chilies
- ¾ tbsp chana dal (or 1 tbsp peanuts)
- ¾ tbsp urad dal (skip if you don’t have)
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 garlic clove
- salt as needed
- 1 tsp lemon juice or 1 small tomato
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 pinch hing
- 1 red chili broken piece
- 1 pinch mustard
- 3 tbsp coconut Fresh
- 3 tbsp Roasted gram / putnalu pappu or chana dal / senaga pappu
- 1 cup capsicum chopped
- ½ inch ginger or 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- 4 to 6 drops lemon juice (or tamarind paste)
- Salt to taste
- 3 to 4 Green chilies or red chilies
- Dry roast urad dal, chana dal and red chili until golden. Add cumin and toss. Set these aside to cool.
- Add oil to the pan and saute onions, garlic and capsicum until the raw smell of capsicums goes away completely.
- If the capsicum is not sauteed well, the flavor of the chutney will not be good. If using tomatoes, you can add it now and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy. Cool these as well.
- Powder the dals first and then add capsicum, onions, tomatoes or lemon juice.
- Blend until smooth. If needed add 2 tbsps of water. Taste and adjust salt and sour tastes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard when it splutters add red chili, curry leaves and hing.
- Pour this to the capsicum chutney.
- Rinse and chop capsicum to cubes, slit green chilies
- Fry chana dal to golden set this aside to cool, skip this step if using fried gram.
- Fry chilies, if using green chilies, you can use raw.
- Fry capsicums in the same pan till slightly soft, do not overcook or over fry. Once you begin to smell the capsicums well, switch off. Add cumin to the hot capsicum. Cool this completely.
- Add all the ingredients, add water little by little as needed and grind to a smooth chutney
- If desired it can be tempered with mustard, cumin, hing, red chilies and curry leaves.
- Serve capsicum chutney as desired.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Hi Swathi, I tried this yesterday, was bit confused because the video is not matching either of the written receipe. Which one to follow, written or video.
The recipe I have shown in the video is the first one. Onion is an optional ingredient so I have not used in the video. Also the pictures in the step by step pictures is the same from recipe one but made with green bell peppers and also used onions. So follow the recipe card. Hope this helps.
firs time i tried this capsicum chutney…. it is morvelous thank you…. i never thought a chutney can made with capsicum. but its very tasty
You are welcome! Glad you liked it. Thank you
I tried this capsicum chutney… it came out so tasty… I just loved it… thank you.
Glad you liked the chutney. Thanks for the comment.
Tasted awesome! Thank you
Tried Ur chutney today, it came out very well, everyone appreciated, thanks a lot..
Will try all ur recepies nw..
Thanks for the recipe
My frnds told that I.am a good cook
All credit goes to you
Thanks a lot. Glad to know you got appreciations
I made this chutney today…along with your Wheat Dosa..
It was enjoyed by all.
Thanks for sharing.
I tried it today it has turned out very well… Thanks for the recipe
I tried your capsicum chutney recipe ,it came out amazing..Thanks for your recipe..I will try your other recipes also.
Happy to know you liked the chutney. Thanks for the feedback and do try other recipes.
very nice recipes and tried egg cuury today and came out very tasty and I pinned many of them and going to try others too.
Thanks For pinning and the feedback. Glad to know you liked the recipes
I do it with all the colors.. this looks nice too
Chutney with capsicum?? totally new to me…going to try this tomorrow for breakfast…BTW your pic is awesome!