Red capsicum chutney recipe – bell pepper chutney recipe for idli, dosa, paratha and sandwich. Bell peppers can be used for making capsicum curry, for vegetable biryani, for vegetable stir fry, for making paneer tikka or chicken tikka and even for noodles. I prefer to use vegetables for making chutney for our breakfasts idli, dosa, sandwich or paratha. I feel it is a good way to include veggies in our diet.
Red capsicum chutney tastes very good for most Indian dishes as a side. It is also quick and easy to make. I make capsicum chutney very often, so I try with different variations, some of which I have shared here on the blog are
You can also check this collection of capsicum recipes on the blog.
Red capsicum chutney recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup red capsicum pieces , chopped
- ½ cup onions cubed (optional)
- ¾ to 1 tbsp channa dal replace with sesame seeds
- ¾ to 1 tbsp urad dal (replace with sesame seeds)
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves or tiny ginger piece
- 2 to 3 red chilies (adjust to suit your taste)
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- Salt to taste
- tamarind paste little, or 1 tbsp lemon juice (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Pinch mustard
- 1 pinch urad dal
- 1 red chili ,broken, dry
- Oil for seasoning
- 1 pinch hing
How to make the recipe
- Heat a pan with oil. Roast red chilies & dals until golden. If you are using garlic you can saute that as well, it reduces the pungent smell. Add cumin and saute.
- Add capsicum with salt and saute on a medium flame till they are soft cooked. If you are using onions, add them too now and saute until they are half cooked.
- Cool these completely. Add them to a blender jar along with tamarind and little water. Blend to a smooth chutney.
- Heat a small pan with oil , add mustard, urad dal and red chilli, when they begin to crackle add curry leaves and fry till they turn crisp. Pour this over the red capsicum chutney.
- Serve with idli, dosa or paratha.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.