Capsicum curry recipe – Simple capsicum masala gravy that goes very well with chapathi, rice, dosa and even with pulao. Capsicum is one of the most healthiest veggies that is low in calories yet provides lot of health benefits. Hence it is recommended to use them regularly. Capsicum can be used to so many dishes like stir fry, gravy, pulao, biryani, rice and many more dishes.
The first image in this post was shared on the blog in 2014. I had made the curry using red and green capsicums. I have updated the post with new images in which I have used only green capsicum.
This recipe has roughly been adapted from a north Karnataka recipe where a dry capsicum stir fry is made with peanuts, dry coconut and sesame seeds mixture to accompany lemon rice or roti.
Capsicums or bell peppers are often used in the restaurant gravy dishes to add flavor. They can be used to prepare a yummy and delicious masala curry to accompany chapathi, roti or phulka.
To make the capsicum curry, I used peanuts, dry coconut and sesame seeds,just like we use for the hyderabadi gravy dishes. Magaz or melon seeds or poppy seeds can be used instead of peanuts. The gravy turns out to be delicious.
Capsicum curry can be served with chapathi, paratha, rice or any pulao.
1. Roast peanuts till lightly golden, then add sesame seeds, and dry coconut. I did not have dry coconut so I went ahead using cashews. Transfer to a plate and cool.
2. Heat oil in the same pan, add onions and fry till lightly golden, add ginger garlic paste and fry till you begin to smell good. Do not burn.
3. Throw in tomatoes sprinkle turmeric and salt.Fry till tomatoes turn mushy.
4. Next add in red chili powder, garam masala and fry till you smell good for about 2 to 3 minutes or till the mixture begins to leave oil. Cool this.
5. Transfer onion tomato mixture, roasted peanuts, sesame seeds and dry coconut to a blender jar. Pour ½ to ¾ cup water and blend to a smooth paste.
6. If you do not like smooth gravy, then I suggest you to blend only the peanuts, sesame seeds and coconut with very little water to a smooth paste.
How to make capsicum curry recipe
7. Pour little more oil to the pan, add bay leaf or curry leaves, cardamom and cumin, when they begin to splutter add cubed onions and capsicum and fry on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Transfer the paste from the jar. Be little careful, it will begin to splash, so better keep ¼ cup if water ready and pour it immediately.
9. Add kasuri methi, little more garam masala or coriander powder and then I also added red chili powder to give a better color. Adjust water to get the desired consistency.
10. Cook till the bell pepper is cooked yet crunchy.
Serve capsicum curry with rice, roti or paratha.
Capsicum curry recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for capsicum curry
- 1 to 1 ½ cup capsicum or bell pepper cubed (any color)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 onion cubed and layers separated (optional)
- ¼ cup tomatoes ripe & cubed
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves or bay leaf
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 2 green cardamoms (optional)
- 1 green chili (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
To roast & blend
- 1 ½ tbsp peanuts or poppy seeds or cashews (or a mix of all)
- 1 ½ tbsp Dry coconut (optional)
- ¾ tbsp white sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp coriander powder (optional)
- Handful coriander leaves
Preparation for capsicum curry
- Finely chop one onion and cube the other one and separate the layers.
- Cube capsicum and set aside.
- Dry roast peanuts until golden. Then add coconut and sesame seeds and lightly roast. Set aside to cool.
- Pour oil to the same pan, add one finely chopped onion, green chili and fry till golden.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Add tomatoes and fry till they turn mushy.
- Add salt, turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Fry till the mixture gets cooked well and begins to leave the sides of the pan. Cool completely.
- Grind the peanuts, coconut and onions tomatoes mixture, together with little water to a smooth paste.
How to make capsicum curry
- Heat the same pan with oil. Then add cumin, cardamom and bay leaf or curry leaves.
- When the cumin begins to sizzle, add capsicum and onions (cubed and layers separated). Next fry on a high flame for 3 to 4 mins.
- Pour the ground mixture and any spice powders to adjust to your taste. Also pour water as needed.
- Let it simmer till the gravy reaches the desired consistency and capsicum is cooked.
- Sprinkle kasuri methi, stir well. Over cooking will make the capsicums soggy, so switch off in time.
- Serve capsicum curry with pulao , chapathi or any of your favorite dish.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes