Chana chaat recipe – Protein packed, delicious and healthy chaat snack made with kabuli chana / chickpeas and simple ingredients. You can tweak this recipe however you like and make it to suit your taste buds. This chana chaat can be made using kabuli chana or kala channa as well. I do not follow any particular recipe to make this chaat. Spice, tang, sweetness with a good amount of chopped onions, tomatoes and cucumber is all that is needed to make a good chaat.
Chickpeas are rich in fiber, calcium and protein too. These are suitable to everyone from the diabetic to normal folks since they are of low GI. They can be a good source of calcium and protein for vegans.
Chana chaat makes a wonderful breakfast, a mid-morning snack or an after school snack too. If consumed as breakfast, it can keep you going for hours by keeping you full.
To keep it simple, I have not used any green chutney or dahi. The day I made this I didn’t have sev or mixture. So I used boondi. You can just go ahead with what every you have. You can also add some curd/ dahi on top if you prefer.
Chana chaat recipe below
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup chickpeas uncooked, / chana or 1½ to 2 cups cooked
- 1 onion small, chopped
- 1 tomato small, chopped
- ¼ cup cucumber chopped (optional)
- sprigs coriander leaves
- 1 to 2 green chili chopped
- ½ to 1 tsp tamarind paste thick, or lemon juice or tamarind chutney
- ¼ to ½ tsp dates syrup or honey (or tamarind dates chutney)
- 1/8 tsp dry ginger powder (optional)
- ¼ to ½ tsp Chaat masala or as needed
- ½ tsp Roasted cumin powder (optional)
- Mixture / boondi/ farsan/ sev as needed
- salt as needed
- 2 tbsp curd / dahi
- 1 tsp green chutney
- 1 potato small boiled, crumbled
- Wash soak chickpeas in lot of water for at least 6 to 8 hrs, keep changing the water if soaking for longer to avoid odor.
- Drain the chickpeas and add them to the cooker.
- Pour water just enough to cover them. Add a pinch of cooking soda.
- Pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles on a medium flame. You can even cook in a pot with enough water to cover them. Cook till they turn soft.
- Cool them completely.Drain off the water and use it for soups or rasam.
- Add salt, chaat masala, cumin powder and dry ginger if using.
- Add tamarind paste or lemon juice or tamarind chutney. For sweetness you can add little honey. Toss them well.
- Add chopped onions, chilies, tomatoes and cucumber.
- Check the taste and add more salt if needed.
- You can also add some curd and green chutney also if you prefer.
- Sprinkle some sev or mixture. Sprinkle coriander leaves.
- Serve chana chaat immediately.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
How to make chana chaat
1. To make chana chaat, we will need to wash & soak the chana over night in lot of water. Discard the water before cooking them.
2. Add chana, a generous pinch of baking soda and water just enough to cover them. Pressure cook for 1 whistle on a medium heat.
3. You can also cook them with little turmeric if you desire. Drain the excess water. You can also add this water to your soups, rasam or sambar.
4. Add chaat masala, salt, cumin powder and dry ginger powder (optional). Also add tamarind chutney or tamarind paste mixed with honey or dates syrup. Add chopped green chilies, onions, tomatoes & coriander leaves. Toss everything well. You can also skip tamarind chutney and use just lemon juice. Add salt, spice and chaat masala if needed.
Serve chana chaat immediately. Top this with your favorite crunchies like sev, farsan/ mixture or boondi.