Chicken roast recipe with a collection of restaurant style dry chicken recipes – Indian dry chicken preparations are also known as fry, sukka, sukha, iguru, vepudu, varuval in different regions. These are basically quick to make, kind of healthy as they need less oil, less masala and are made with basic ingredients. These are best to serve with roti/ chapati or even plain rice along with a bowl of Rasam
Restaurant style andhra chicken roast or fry
You can also check these 70 Indian chicken recipes
I have also shared a simple easy roast that needs no grinding, can be served as a starters or accompanied with any flavored rice or plain rice and rasam as well. It can be made with bone-in or boneless chicken. I suggest using tender chickn to yield soft, juicy, flavorful and tender chunks.
To make this, you can use any flavorful garam masala, a good ready made masala works well too. You can just use grated ginger garlic if you do not have paste. No tomatoes are used and i suggest using fresh lemon juice to get the tang. The entire cooking has to be done on the lowest flame or setting to yield juicy and soft bites.
This chicken dry has been prepared with just 2 tsp of oil to make a little over 2 servings. Each serving size (4 oz or 113 grams chicken) consist of less than a 1 tsp of oil with no added fats of any kind. This is one of the best south Indian chicken recipes suitable to folks on a low fat diet, diabetics or gestational diabetics as well.
Using less oil does not alter the taste, but you can add more oil like the way used for other dishes.
find chicken roast or chicken dry recipe below
Chicken roast recipe | South Indian dry chicken recipes
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 tsp oil
- bay leaf small, broken
- 3 green cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- cinnamon stick small ,
- ¼ kg tender chicken (with bone or boneless)
- 1½ tsp grated ginger garlic or 1 tsp paste
- salt as needed
- ¾ cup onions finely chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves fresh
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- coriander leaves few chopped , to garnish
- lemon and onion wedges to serve
How to make the recipe
- Cut chicken to small cubes.
- Add one tsp. oil to a heavy bottom or non stick pan. Spread the oil across the pan.
- Add bay leaf, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon.
- When they begin to sizzle, lower the flame and add chicken.
- Spread ginger garlic over the meat and sprinkle salt.
- Lower the flame to minimum.Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. It begins to release moisture.
- Stir the meat or flip the pieces.Cover again and simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add onions, turmeric and curry leaves.
- Fry till the onions turn transparent.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala and stir. Cover again and continue to cook on the low flame till the meat is soft cooked and tender.
- Add one more tsp oil and fry for about a minute. Cover and off the stove. Let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve chicken dry with rice and rasam or any flavored rice and raita.
how to make chicken roast recipe or chicken dry recipe with step by step photos
1. Add just a tsp of oil to a heavy bottom or non stick pan. Use the right size utensil, do not use a very large pan to make little chicken. Add the dry spices and saute. Spread the oil on the pan.
2. Add chicken, spread the ginger garlic over it, do not drop it on the pan, it may get burnt. This way it absorbs the flavors from ginger garlic.Sprinkle salt evenly.
3. Cook covered on the lowest flame for about 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Flip and cover back. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Add onions, turmeric and curry leaves. Fry till the onions turn transparent. Do not increase the flame.
6. Sprinkle garam masala and red chili powder. Stir and cook covered again till it is soft cooked. Stir in between to prevent burning if needed.
7. Add another tsp. oil and fry for about a minute. Cover it again. Switch off the stove and leave it for 15 minutes on the burner.Keep covered until you serve.
Serve chicken dry as a starter or with jeera rice or with plain rice and tomato rasam.