Dondakaya curry or Ivygourd or tindora curry – A semi dry curry that goes well with roti or plain rice. Ivygourd or dondakaya is commonly used to make chutney or curry in most andhra homes. Most times i make a stir fry / vepudu without the addition of onion or tomatoes, but flavored with coconut and sesame seeds powder. That one goes good with plain rice, sambar or rasam. The curry i am sharing today can be had with chapathi as well.
Ivy gourd is well known for its laxative properties and for its ability to normalize the blood sugar levels. Hence suitable for all including the diabetics. I made this late in the evening for dinner, so do not have step by step pictures.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 250 grams ivy gourd / dondakaya / tindora
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsp oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp mustard (optional)
- 1 Pinch turmeric
- 1 Pinch hing
- 2 onions medium , finely chopped or sliced
- 1 tomato large ripe , chopped (½ cup pieces)
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder (adjust to suit your taste)
- ¾ tsp garam masala powder or sambar powder (adjust as needed)
- Coriander leaves chopped finely
- Salt as needed
- 2 to 3 tbsp coconut Fresh grated (optional)
- Soak ivy gourd in a large pot filled with water. Rinse them well under running water.
- Nip off the edges and chop them to desired size.
- Heat oil in a pan, crackle mustard and cumin.
- Add curry leaves, green chilies and hing.
- When the curry leaves turn crisp, add onions and fry until they turn slightly golden.
- Add tomato, salt and turmeric. Saute until they become mushy and blend well with onions.
- Add ivy gourd and fry for 2 to 3 mins. Add red chili powder and saute for another minute.
- Cover and cook on a very low flame stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- When the gourd is half cooked, add garam masala and saute for 2 mins.
- Cover and simmer until cooked. Sprinkle coriander leaves and coconut. Stir well. Serve dondakaya curry with rice or chapathi.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes